Redskins want to extend Ryan Kerrigan

turtle28

The guy is 31, downside of a career. Not much of a difference maker. One move. Chase Young in our sights and its ludacris to think to keep him around. I would be shocked if the Bengals pass on Tua or Joe Burrow. Chase Young would then be sitting there at 2. BUT, BUT, this is Washington and they screw up the easiest of things. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mike23md said:

The guy is 31, downside of a career. Not much of a difference maker. One move. Chase Young in our sights and its ludacris to think to keep him around. I would be shocked if the Bengals pass on Tua or Joe Burrow. Chase Young would then be sitting there at 2. BUT, BUT, this is Washington and they screw up the easiest of things. 

I just cannot imagine any scenario in which this team passes on Young? Chase Young is the reward for a terrible season. You don’t thumb your nose up to that and you thank the football gods that the other crappy teams need a QB. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just cannot imagine any scenario in which this team passes on Young? Chase Young is the reward for a terrible season. You don’t thumb your nose up to that and you thank the football gods that the other crappy teams need a QB. 

Bruce's only concern is changing the Trent Williams conversation.  Would be shocked if we don't take a LT at the top of the draft.  

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I could easily see it happening, for a variety of reasons:

• They think Kerrigan can give us a few more years of good play, and, as has been reported, want him to retire a Redskin
  • They're not giving up on Sweat anytime soon
  • They're all in on wanting to be right on Haskins above all else, which leads to:
    •  Getting him better protection by reaching for an OT in the top 3
    • OR, getting him another weapon by drafting Jeudy in the top 3
  • They realize how stupid they look by trading away their extremely high 2020 2nd rounder for Sweat, so trade back to recoup that pick like they did in the 2018 draft after trading away Fuller (trading back for Guice and getting another 3rd), and end up drafting lesser talent in the 5-10 range rather than the top 3
  • They're drunk off Coors on draft night
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t see it happening. If Chase is available he will be the pick. He’s a local kid who’s undoubtedly the biggest star in college football right now. They won’t pass. 

Ya cause the Redskins never do anything stupid in the draft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Not in the top 5.

We’ve had two top 5 picks. One was spent on Robert 7 years ago and the other was spent on Scherff who up until this season was one of the best guards in football. Although PFF still rates him very highly I tend to disagree. Considering what they passed on to take Scherff there’s simply no way that could be considered the wrong pick at this point. Williams, Beasley and Ray are all pretty bad and people would’ve freaked out had they took Gurley. Looking back, Scherff was the right pick. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We’ve had two top 5 picks. One was spent on Robert 7 years ago and the other was spent on Scherff who up until this season was one of the best guards in football. Although PFF still rates him very highly I tend to disagree. Considering what they passed on to take Scherff there’s simply no way that could be considered the wrong pick at this point. Williams, Beasley and Ray are all pretty bad and people would’ve freaked out had they took Gurley. Looking back, Scherff was the right pick. 

Also, it’s not like any other picks in the top 5 of the 2012 draft have panned out.  Even Luck retired early, though it’s not like we had a chance at him anyway.

In hindsight, we should have just stayed at #6 and drafted Kuechly, Cox, or Gilmore... then taken Russell Wilson in round 2. The Shanahans would likely still be here, and we’d have probably had some playoff success by now. 

I don’t think they’ll screw up the Young pick. 

If there’s anything the Redskins seem to like nowadays, it’s a “safe” pick. A pick that will go over well at the time and likely won’t set them up for a big negative fallout down the road. I think they got gunshy after the RGIII move backfired so seriously — which is why you see them doing things like taking an Iowa OL in the top 5, taking the big boys from Bama with the high floors, even the swap with Houston with the Fuller/Doctson picks had the feel of a team looking to hedge its bets. There seems to be a conscious effort to make picks that will be considered “good value.” 

The only position I could see them prioritizing highly enough to warrant passing on Young is LT — and I just can’t imagine this team, obsessed with its image as it is, passing on the consensus best player in the draft for a LT who will immediately be measured against the ghost of Trent Williams. They’d be setting themselves up for the potential of huge embarrassment that way, and I don’t think they’d risk that. I understand that they sorta did that with Scherff, but I don’t think Leonard Williams had nearly the prospect value that Chase Young will have.

Now, I could see them trading down with QB-needy team if they got a mega trade offer. I guess it’s up for debate whether that constitutes “screwing up” the pick.