Week #10 GDT Steelers vs. Rams

Steeler Hitman

55 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The thing about this is he has no future on defense. But with his athleticism at least a part of me wonders if he could be developed into a "Juszcyk" type FB role.

was thinking the same thing

maybe they'll keep him around to work only on special teams/FB in the offseason/TC and see what he might become from that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The thing about this is he has no future on defense. But with his athleticism at least a part of me wonders if he could be developed into a "Juszcyk" type FB role.

He can maybe develop into a BUCK backer that blitzes a lot. That's about his ceiling, I'd say though. Not really a super modern position unfortunately. 

This should be a litmus test for the Defense. While the Rams haven't been nearly as explosive this year they still have all the pieces. I expect them to come out of the Bye Week sharp with a whole 1st series scripted and practiced ad nauseam.  Let's hope the Steelers come out just as sharp and prepared. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

This should be a litmus test for the Defense. While the Rams haven't been nearly as explosive this year they still have all the pieces. I expect them to come out of the Bye Week sharp with a whole 1st series scripted and practiced at nauseam.  Let's hope the Steelers come out just as sharp and prepared. 

This is my concern as well. The defense has really stepped up the first eight games and has been competitive every game. The offense is more my concern.  This is a week that the defense "could be" tested and not as dominant as in other games.  They have faced some very tough and physical offenses.  The offense has typically gotten off to a slow start.  I hope this trend continues to change.  They did get a few first downs against the Colts on the first series.  I would like to see the offense jump out on someone and open the game with a time consuming TD drive.  It would set the tone for the defense, especially if they can get a quick three and out.  The offense has to step up.

They have to start trusting the TE's and WR's more.  That relationship and timing has to get better.  Mason has thrown some bad passes or the receivers have dropped or tipped passes that have been intercepted by the opposing defense. The defense has kept the Steelers in every game, even when the offense struggled mightily.  If the Steelers are going to make a play-off push, the offense will have to improve and become more consistent.  I do understand how hard this is with a back-up QB making his sixth start or so against a team who played in the SB last year.

I think this game is one we’ll need one or both of Washington and Johnson to step up. Rudolph isn’t going to throw to JuJu with Ramsey all over him. If Fitchner can scheme a good game plan for Samuels, he can probably cause some issues, but it won’t be between the tackle I-formation stuff. I think I’d try to throw out of the I-formation with Edmunds and run out of the gun with Samuels. Try and get tricky. 

Of course, none of this matters if the defense doesn’t have another strong day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think this game is one we’ll need one or both of Washington and Johnson to step up. Rudolph isn’t going to throw to JuJu with Ramsey all over him. If Fitchner can scheme a good game plan for Samuels, he can probably cause some issues, but it won’t be between the tackle I-formation stuff. I think I’d try to throw out of the I-formation with Edmunds and run out of the gun with Samuels. Try and get tricky. 

It will be interesting to see how the steelers attack the rams since JJSS will be out of the picture. I don't know what Wade does for schemes vs TE's, but maybe Vmac has a good day.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Of course, none of this matters if the defense doesn’t have another strong day.

this game might be a defensive struggle, which I would like for a change.  The pressure from our front 4 needs to win this game, as I don't expect the offence to score that much. Maybe they will, but right now without Connor and with the rams having a lock down CB, it has me seeing our offence not scoring as much.