Will Oakland make the playoffs?

TecmoSuperJoe

They're 4-4, and the rest of their schedule, doesn't look that bad. Currently listed as 8th in the AFC standings behind Pittsburgh for the playoff race. Their defense is pathetic, but their offense is starting to gain more traction compared to the first few games of the season. Derek Carr, to my surprise, looks the best he's looked in a while. I'm really curious to see if he keeps it up. Darren Waller is a great tight end. Josh Jacobs is a great rookie. The AFC is pretty wide open. 9-7 could even get them in. 

Bills will likely have one WC spot locked up. So then it comes down to the 2nd place AFC South team and the Raiders. If it is the Colts, then the Raiders have the tiebreaker over them which could prove to be huge. 

I'd say they have a shot, but it will come down to them and the Colts. If the Chargers can catch fire, then they have an outside shot themselves. They looked really good completely dominating the Packers from start to finish yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bills will likely have one WC spot locked up. So then it comes down to the 2nd place AFC South team and the Raiders. If it is the Colts, then the Raiders have the tiebreaker over them which could prove to be huge. 

I'd say they have a shot, but it will come down to them and the Colts. If the Chargers can catch fire, then they have an outside shot themselves. They looked really good completely dominating the Packers from start to finish yesterday. 

The Chargers firing Ken Whisenhunt might have bought them a couple of extra wins. o.O

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I've been really impressed with how Gruden has them playing recently.

Same here. Absolutely everyone and their mom thought Gruden was a washed up, overrated TV personality who screwed the Raiders for 10 years. However now he looks like the real deal and a top 10 HC. This team plays HARD under him, his system on O is really producing well and we're sitting at .500, which given our brutal schedule and the fact we didn't play at home in over 5 weeks until yesterday is impressive.

• Like 1

I think we have a shot. I thought we were a 7-9 or 8-8 team coming into the year, and I still think that's about right. But I also thought we'd be sitting at around 3-5 after our brutal start. The schedule gets a little easier and our offense is humming right now. The defense could certainly cost us a couple games we play well enough to win offensively. I'm going to go out on a limb though and say we sneak it with a 9-7 record, especially if Brissett is out for any length of time. 

The future looks incredibly bright though if we can use our draft capital and our significant cap space to put together even an average defense next season. Outside of a number one WR (man if AB wasnt a headcase) and some more depth on the OL and maybe RB our offense looks to be set. Carr is playing lights out, the offensive system Gruden has put in place looks phenomenal the majority of the time. We may miss the playoffs next year but with how this season has gone I feel comfortable in saying playoffs should definitely be the expectation for next season. 

3 minutes ago, Classic said:

Bears would have been defending champs with Raiders trade right now had they simply took Watson or Mahomes

But they didn't. They traded up for Trubisky and bet on him big time flipping picks for Mack. Now they have a failing QB and a DE who will have a 26 mil cap hit next season with key players who can test free agency. 

Worse, no draft capital to get another at bat with a QB. And what vet can they really sign that will get them to compete in that division?  

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

But they didn't. They traded up for Trubisky and bet on him big time flipping picks for Mack. Now they have a failing QB and a DE who will have a 26 mil cap hit next season with key players who can test free agency. 

Worse, no draft capital to get another at bat with a QB. And what vet can they really sign that will get them to compete in that division?  

Find a way to acquire our Lord and Savior Nick Foles

I don’t see the playoffs for the Raiders this year, but they are absolutely a team on an upward trajectory. There must be an awful lot of media commentators who ragged on Gruden eating crow right now... and if there isn’t, then there should be. 10 years is still a stupid deal, but he’s clearly not the washed-up, finished HC most had labelled him last year. Dude can coach.

Anything in the 7 to 9 win bracket these season would still show decent progress for this team heading into Vegas with a good draft haul and cap to spend . I can see a couple of disappointing losses coming up where they play down to an opponent they’re better than or equal to; because right now everything has either gone as expected or better than expected, and that usually doesn’t last for a full season. But the future looks bright.

• Like 2