Will Oakland make the playoffs?

TecmoSuperJoe

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t get me wrong, I think are a little over hyped right now and finish 8-8 but I hope you are not saying we are worse than Pittsburgh. We hadn’t had a home game in nearly two months and a lot of people said this was the most brutal schedule of all time going into the season, especially the first half. Pittsburgh is no where near on our level with the cakewalk they’ve had. We’d literally blow them out of the water.

Our Offense is like Top 7 in the NFL. Mason would have to throw all game and he would make it much worse. 

No I'm saying in the AFC standings Pittsburgh is ahead. Officially. I think they have a better conference record. 

4 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Doubt it to be honest but it shouldn't take away from the performance they have put so far. They could barely do anything with the same roster last year.

We know they aren't SB caliber but that shouldn't take away from how surprised I am with them.

Our roster is very different than last year though. Different RB, FB, TEx2, top 4 WRs, LG, RT, DE x 3, CB x 3, P, etc... all new starters. Mayock absolutely KILLED this years draft sans the first pick funny enough so far, and the Incognito and Brown signings on the o-line have paid incredible dividends early. However our roster sucked something fierce when Gruden originally took over so we couldn't plug every whole in one year. Gruden is a good coach although most won't admit they were very wrong on him.

I'll stand by what I said earlier in that we are still a year away from being a serious playoff threat.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

Seeing Oakland succeed just further solidifies what a moron Antonio Brown is

Can you imagine AB in this O? Man that would have been incredible. Double him and you go one on one with Tyrell or Waller, and Jacobs wouldn't see as many stacked boxes either.

Oh well. Let the POS rot.

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't quite know what to make of the Raiders. I feel like I've seen the team look incredibly flat at times, and look seriously legit at others. Same with the Chargers. And that combination makes it hard to predict. I kind of think it will come down to their games against the Chargers, really. If they can sweep that series I think they're in. If they get swept they have no chance. If they split, it might come down to tiebreakers. I did a quick season predictor thing, just off instinct, and came up with them making it as the 6th seed, edging out Buffalo, actually, so it's certainly possible. But I think they can't drop any of their (on paper) easily winnable games. The schedule is very manageable. Their game against us is the only one that looks lopsided, and even it is a division game. But they can't afford to blow one against Denver or Cincy or the Jets, and they need to pick up a couple of the more even games against Jacksonville or LAC. I think 10-6 could get them there, and that's doable with their schedule.

I will say, looking at the final stretch, SoS leanings are going to really shift things. Pittsburgh has an incredibly easy final 8. If they can pull an upset against one of Buffalo or Baltimore they could very easily make it in. Buffalo has a brutal 4 game stretch of Dallas, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England, that could quickly derail their season. KC had a brutal 7 game run, but they end their season with only one game left against a currently playoff projected team. The Patriots have the opposite, with a very squishy first half followed up by Baltimore, Philly, Dallas, Houston, KC, and Buffalo. The Bears are just going to get slaughtered for the rest of their season. Whatever system or person wrote this year's schedules did not balance them well at all. Granted, maybe they're not really supposed to be. But there's a lot of teams that have the scales heavily tilted toward the former or latter half of their season, which is just odd.

I honestly don't think we do this year.  We have a 7-8 game stretch of winnable games, but we tend to inexplicably play down from time to time.  The offense will shine, and the defense will be our downfall.  The good news is that we have plenty of assets to address the defense in the off season.  I honestly think next year we are a contender.  

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Same here. Absolutely everyone and their mom thought Gruden was a washed up, overrated TV personality who screwed the Raiders for 10 years. However now he looks like the real deal and a top 10 HC. This team plays HARD under him, his system on O is really producing well and we're sitting at .500, which given our brutal schedule and the fact we didn't play at home in over 5 weeks until yesterday is impressive.

Now that Gruden, Mayock, and the rest are on the same page after the AB saga is over..

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, I don't quite know what to make of the Raiders. I feel like I've seen the team look incredibly flat at times, and look seriously legit at others. Same with the Chargers. And that combination makes it hard to predict. I kind of think it will come down to their games against the Chargers, really. If they can sweep that series I think they're in. If they get swept they have no chance. If they split, it might come down to tiebreakers. I did a quick season predictor thing, just off instinct, and came up with them making it as the 6th seed, edging out Buffalo, actually, so it's certainly possible. But I think they can't drop any of their (on paper) easily winnable games. The schedule is very manageable. Their game against us is the only one that looks lopsided, and even it is a division game. But they can't afford to blow one against Denver or Cincy or the Jets, and they need to pick up a couple of the more even games against Jacksonville or LAC. I think 10-6 could get them there, and that's doable with their schedule.

I will say, looking at the final stretch, SoS leanings are going to really shift things. Pittsburgh has an incredibly easy final 8. If they can pull an upset against one of Buffalo or Baltimore they could very easily make it in. Buffalo has a brutal 4 game stretch of Dallas, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and New England, that could quickly derail their season. KC had a brutal 7 game run, but they end their season with only one game left against a currently playoff projected team. The Patriots have the opposite, with a very squishy first half followed up by Baltimore, Philly, Dallas, Houston, KC, and Buffalo. The Bears are just going to get slaughtered for the rest of their season. Whatever system or person wrote this year's schedules did not balance them well at all. Granted, maybe they're not really supposed to be. But there's a lot of teams that have the scales heavily tilted toward the former or latter half of their season, which is just odd.

I agree that we have looked flat at times, but I'm also not quite ready to write that off as the team not being focused, only because we had such a brutal road trip that would take a lot out of any team. We'll see if that theme continues against some worse competition when we are also not going 6 weeks without a home game. I agree with everything else though. Theres a chance we get in, but there's an equal or greater chance that we drop a game or two we shouldn't lose and end up 8-8 on the outside looking in come playoff time. 

20 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Boy, did they fleece the Bears. And they’ll be getting a top ten pick from them this season. 

19 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Except they didn't, and now they don't have the financial resources or draft capital to fix their team because of the Mack acquisition. 

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

But they didn't. They traded up for Trubisky and bet on him big time flipping picks for Mack. Now they have a failing QB and a DE who will have a 26 mil cap hit next season with key players who can test free agency. 

Worse, no draft capital to get another at bat with a QB. And what vet can they really sign that will get them to compete in that division?  

How about... the Raiders use the first rounder they acquired from the Bears in the Mack trade to help their pass rush and trade it for Khalil Mack?

The Raiders get the DE they need to make the step to being a real contender, and still have their own 1st rounder to further improve their team. 

The Bears have to restart without a franchise QB, and now they would have a top 5 pick to get their QB of the future.

Anyway, just kidding. But to get back to the OP, no i don't think we get into the playoffs, imo we are still a 8-8 team. We can surprise, but could just as easily lose 3 straight.

Edited by Roninho

22 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Boy, did they fleece the Bears. And they’ll be getting a top ten pick from them this season. 

Fleece? Haha..are you forgetting that the Raiders also sent the Bears back a 2020 2nd round pick as part of the Mack trade?  I would hardly call that a fleecing.

Mack is a beast and one of the best defensive players in the NFL and a likely future hall of famer.  Bears may be in trouble with the QB position right now but the logic to trade for Mack at the time was justifiable.

Why can't it be said that both teams came ahead with this trade?

10 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't see Pittsburgh as a brutal matchup but i get the point. As long as we take care of business between the Jets, Dolphins, Broncos and either the Steelers or Browns, that gets us to at least 10 wins. I guess we'll see. 

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Fleece? Haha..are you forgetting that the Raiders also sent the Bears back a 2020 2nd round pick as part of the Mack trade?  I would hardly call that a fleecing.

Mack is a beast and one of the best defensive players in the NFL and a likely future hall of famer.  Bears may be in trouble with the QB position right now but the logic to trade for Mack at the time was justifiable.

Why can't it be said that both teams came ahead with this trade?

And the Raiders got back the Bears 3rd.

Mack is a beast, but Bears seeing what the Raider fans saw. As great a player as he was, he was only one guy and it didn't add up in the win column for the Raiders. 

Now the Bears have a 26 million dollar cap hit on a DE. They lost 2 high draft picks and they have no solution at QB and question marks mounting about the coach and GM?

Now with limited draft resources and mounting salary cap pressure, where do they turn to find a QB? By time they figure this out, Mack will be in his 30's theoretically.

You make that kind of trade when you're confident you are a contender and need it to get over the top. Not when you have questions at QB.

Mack could be another footnote in Bears history of great defenders who played on teams that never got it together to do anything note worthy. We see this with the Bears every few year. A great defense takes them to the playoffs, then a regression back to average teams struggling to find a QB. 

• Like 2