Week 10: VIKINGS (6-3) at Cowboys (5-3)

swede700

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Might be hard to justify extending Garrett if you’re Dallas and don’t get into the playoffs. Dallas probably wins this game with a competent head coach. 

Garrett probably should have been canned a couple of seasons ago.  They've had some pretty good talent, yet he's constantly been pretty much a .500 head coach...he's the Kirk Cousins of coaches.  :D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Garrett probably should have been canned a couple of seasons ago.  They've had some pretty good talent, yet he's constantly been pretty much a .500 head coach...he's the Kirk Cousins of coaches.  :D

Cowboys have been to the playoffs one more time than the Vikings since Zimmer took over....3-2 in terms of playoff appearances. That probably evens up this year.

7 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Cowboys have been to the playoffs one more time than the Vikings since Zimmer took over....3-2 in terms of playoff appearances. That probably evens up this year.

One thing I can say in Zim's defense is that the Cowboys haven't gone through 5 different starting quarterbacks in the last 6 years like we have. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Torchezim said:

It doesn’t change the fact that they over paid.  I honestly believe, just like I did then, that we would have gotten the same amount of production had we signed Keenum, Bridgewater, or any good backup. 

Just someone who doesn’t consistently turn the ball over.  

Maybe, maybe not. But we've got what we've got now so we might as well just get behind the program? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

One thing I can say in Zim's defense is that the Cowboys haven't gone through 5 different starting quarterbacks in the last 6 years like we have. 

The point was that the cowboys haven't been great, but they've been to the playoffs. Maybe the coach shouldn't be fired.

8 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

The point was that the cowboys haven't been great, but they've been to the playoffs. Maybe the coach shouldn't be fired.

They've been to the playoffs one more time, yet he has 3 more full seasons on Zim.  That could be considered an indictment right there.

32 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

In the time Zimmer has been head coach, they've been one more time. Which is what I said the first time too.

I understand.  That point should hold some weight in Garrett's favor.  Do you think they have had a weaker division during that time though?  Hard to say I guess.  Eagles have been good for the last few years.  Giants have been slowly regressing and the Redskins are just a dysfunctional organization in general.  It seems like a lot of Cowboys fans believe that the coaching staff has been underachieving when you consider the amount of talent they have. 

Edited by Uncle Buck

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I understand.  That point should hold some weight in Garrett's favor.  Do you think they have had a weaker division during that time though?  Hard to say I guess.  Eagles have been good for the last few years.  Giants have been slowly regressing and the Redskins are just a dysfunctional organization in general.  It seems like a lot of Cowboys fans believe that the coaching staff has been underachieving when you consider the amount of talent they have. 

I agree with them.  

And my point is, in reference to @PrplChilPill, is that yes, Garrett may have made the playoffs one more time in the time that Zimmer has been head coach, but he also had a 4 year head start, considering he took over in 2010.  After that amount of time and the time he's had with the Jones' to build up the roster, he probably should be significantly better than a .500 coach, considering the talent that has been acquired in that time.  (In reality, I believe his 3 straight season of being 8-8 prior to Zimmer taking over in MN in 2014 is a huge indictment of his record, considering they had pretty good talent then too).  I believe he has tremendously underachieved...and while the NFC East has had some decent years of competitiveness (like the season the Cowboys went 13-3), on a whole, it hasn't been a very good division...but this year, even moreso, is an awful division.  The Cowboys should be running away with it, not tied with the Eagles, since the Cowboys talent is far superior to that of the Eagles and both the Giants and Washington are utter messes.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Zimmer should have a playoff win if not for a shanked FG from 27 yards out. Can’t really blame that one in anyone but the kicker.  Still a loss unfortunately.  Then I’m the other hand, his team had a miracle play against New Orleans, so in that respect they kind of cancel each other out.  Not really but you get my point. 

He is 1 - 2 in the playoffs.  Hopefully that stat dies as we march toward a Super Bowl. 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:59 AM, swede700 said:

I agree with them.  

And my point is, in reference to @PrplChilPill, is that yes, Garrett may have made the playoffs one more time in the time that Zimmer has been head coach, but he also had a 4 year head start, considering he took over in 2010.  After that amount of time and the time he's had with the Jones' to build up the roster, he probably should be significantly better than a .500 coach, considering the talent that has been acquired in that time.  (In reality, I believe his 3 straight season of being 8-8 prior to Zimmer taking over in MN in 2014 is a huge indictment of his record, considering they had pretty good talent then too).  I believe he has tremendously underachieved...and while the NFC East has had some decent years of competitiveness (like the season the Cowboys went 13-3), on a whole, it hasn't been a very good division...but this year, even moreso, is an awful division.  The Cowboys should be running away with it, not tied with the Eagles, since the Cowboys talent is far superior to that of the Eagles and both the Giants and Washington are utter messes.  

First, I'm not a huge Garrett fan....my point about the playoffs is that they have been fairly successful the last 5 years. Nothing more or less. As for "he should have more", so should be fired seems odd to me. People here (I think you among them) talk about consistency in coaching being super important to long term success. Also, maybe Garrett was BAD in his first few years, but has gotten better as time has gone on (I don't think that, but results indicate that might be possible).

My point all along was that if you judge a head coach by outcomes, Dallas has been better than MN since Zimmer got here, assuming outcomes is playoff appearances.