Week 10: VIKINGS (6-3) at Cowboys (5-3)

swede700

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

I think Barr needs to be a dedicated pass rusher on third and long. Put another safety in at linebacker on those plays. Move him around, sometimes coming up the middle, sometimes the outside. These DTs just aren't pass 

I don't think the team wants to be that predictable. One of the improvements that Zimmer brought to this team was the ability to better disguise coverages and blitzes.

3 minutes ago, Sir Fobos said:

I don't think the team wants to be that predictable. One of the improvements that Zimmer brought to this team was the ability to better disguise coverages and blitzes.

It's not working this year, because he doesn't have DTs that can rush the QB. It's the talent that is most important.....

• Like 1

Few things I was wondering about last night's offense -

1. Looking at play at 3:26 in below video which resulted in Cousins sack, was it just incompetence from Reiff or did he expect someone else to block Quinn? 

2. Why did Vikings decide not to take a shot at end zone near end of first half when they knew that they only had like 1 play remaining(there were just some 8 secs remaining)? Was that the playcalling or did Cousins just threw it to nearby open guy? I wish we did something like what Lions did few weeks back (vs Vikings itself) where they took a shot at endzone with just 4 secs remaining and ended up scoring.

3. Also, the play at 11:30, I am not sure what happened there...miscommunication or overthrow or did Diggs slow down? In the replay they showed during the match, it looked like Diggs was slowed down by the DB but then again I am not totally sure. 

On the whole, I thought Stefanski called a good game considering absence of Thielen and how good Cowboys DL is. Screen passes worked like charm and I thought Kirk also did a good job of reading the pressure yesterday for most part and making the right choices. btw, I am not sure about deep shots with Kyle...hope that ends once after Thielen is back.

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's not working this year, because he doesn't have DTs that can rush the QB. It's the talent that is most important.....

I think they prepared the defense in the offseason knowing that was going to be the case. It's why you see different players blitzing at different times.  They'll have opportunities in the future to get another 3-tech that's good rushing the passer, but that's not the case this year, so they have to manage that...and I think he's done a decent job doing it.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think they prepared the defense in the offseason knowing that was going to be the case. It's why you see different players blitzing at different times.  They'll have opportunities in the future to get another 3-tech that's good rushing the passer, but that's not the case this year, so they have to manage that...and I think he's done a decent job doing it.  

meh, decent isn't good enough for me. Good isn't good enough for me. He's supposed to be an elite defensive mind. KC has an elite offensive HC, they didn't miss a beat with Matt Moore at QB.....

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

meh, decent isn't good enough for me. Good isn't good enough for me. He's supposed to be an elite defensive mind. KC has an elite offensive HC, they didn't miss a beat with Matt Moore at QB.....

Matt Moore is a better QB than people have given him credit for.  There's a reason why he's been in the league for 13 years.  If they had been running Shurmur's kid out there instead of Moore (or even Henne, for that matter), I think they would have missed a beat.  And Reid may be a tremendous offensive mind, but his defense is going to cost him if they make the playoffs.  That defense is dreadful.    

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Matt Moore is a better QB than people have given him credit for.  There's a reason why he's been in the league for 13 years.  If they had been running Shurmur's kid out there instead of Moore (or even Henne, for that matter), I think they would have missed a beat.  And Reid may be a tremendous offensive mind, but his defense is going to cost him if they make the playoffs.  That defense is dreadful.    

That completely ignores the point of the post. This defense isn't close to elite. 

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

That completely ignores the point of the post. This defense isn't close to elite. 

I never claimed it was.  But, it's a still a top 10 defense, even with some of the failures in spots.  Which does say a whole lot more about the state of defense in the NFL then just specifically the Vikings.  If they were able to play under the rules of 15 years ago, I think it would be an elite defense.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explained Monday the staff emphasized to Austin to avoid bleeding clock with his [late 4th quarter] punt return, as in, don't run around in circles trying to create a miracle. But they didn't mean call for a fair catch no matter what.

Garrett: "We didn't communicate that well enough. In that situation, you've got a couple different options. You can try to block the punt. We decided not to do that. We decided that we thought there'd be a good chance that we can get the ball around the 50-yard line. So the biggest coaching point for Tavon was make sure you don't bleed the rest of this time off by spending a lot of time trying to return the ball. So fair catch was a very viable option. The part of it that we didn't communicate well enough was just simply if you do feel like you have a good return opportunity, take advantage of it. Catch it and go north and south and get as much as you should. We did a poor job as a staff making sure he understood that and hopefully we'll learn from that experience."

The Cowboys ended up gaining just nine yards before Dak Prescott was forced to launch a Hail Mary on the final play of regulation. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001075994/article/garrett-cowboys-didnt-communicate-on-fair-catch