WR set next year

Killashaw

12 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Well hold on. You said he was this years Brandon Reilly. He was an UDFA. 

So which is it? Is he popular because he was a CFL star or do Bills fan just love an underdog story?

There is a main difference btw between Reilly and Duke Williams. One accomplished nothing as a pro. One accomplished enough as a pro in Canada that several teams wanted to work him out and the Bills clearly like him enough they fear losing him should they cut him. 

You said Williams doesn't show potential but Kroft does? That is enough for me to feel confident this conversation will go nowhere and you already ignored the original point anyway. 

He's popular because people want to dream. 

2 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

He's popular because people want to dream. 

Yeah except no one here is dreaming or has delusions that he is some star wideout in the making.

Simply stating he offers more than McKenzie in the receiving game and offers something to our offense we don't currently have. 

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

So when you are in a goalline situation you cant just toss it up to brown to have them beat out a 6' or 6'1 CB/S you need knox and you need duke guys above 6'3 to out jump those dbs. 

No you don't. You need half decent play design to get your good receivers like Beasley and Brown open. 

Allen is about the worst QB around at delicate precision touch passes in just the right spot for jump balls. 

There is a reason we moved away from the big jump ball guys like Benjamin and Williams, it doesn't suit the QB. 

Just now, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah except no one here is dreaming or has delusions that he is some star wideout in the making.

Simply stating he offers more than McKenzie in the receiving game and offers something to our offense we don't currently have. 

The way you are going on about him it's like we are missing out on the next Randy Moss. 

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I agree with you long term however for playoffs I truly think this guy needs to be active for those situations in the red zone and the short passes on first down. They need someone to go up and get the ball they haven't really had that. As you mention other players on special teams have filled in over him which I think is necessary. I just would like for them to replace a guy who doesnt contribute much on offense in snaps nor on special teams. That is why I would be fine with them dressing 6 wrs and taking away a different positional player. He is currently the only big WR who can get it giving Allen a bigger target at times. It will also throw Houston off a bit having him on the field in some snaps

As for future meaning this offseason I see him getting buried on the depth chart and likely not making the team if the Bills bring in a couple of WR in free agency or the draft, he will stick to the offseason but once they go to 53 man roster I think he will be the oddman out and either Mckenzie or Foster will also be out as well. 

I still think his value is 4-6 snaps per game and in goal line or short yardage situations. I also agree that he brings something the rest of our receivers do not. Even Foster at 6'2" just doesn't play like a larger than average receiver. I hope he does play in the playoffs, but admittedly I was hoping he could be a fringe #2. He's most definitely not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

No you don't. You need half decent play design to get your good receivers like Beasley and Brown open. 

Allen is about the worst QB around at delicate precision touch passes in just the right spot for jump balls. 

There is a reason we moved away from the big jump ball guys like Benjamin and Williams, it doesn't suit the QB. 

We went after shifty, quick receivers because they were available and because Benjamin was NOT effective. Duke was added just this year, so that is not moving away from those types of receivers. Linking these two as if they were comparable is also over-simplifying things simply because they both were big-bodied receivers. Benjamin was a wimp. He NEVER fought for a ball and, in fact, alligator armed some! Benjamin had no idea how to use his body to box out. In spite of his size, he played like he was 5'7"! In albeit some very limited opportunities, Duke has shown a willingness to go after balls in the air. Even in the Jets game, Williams was not forced out of the area to catch a ball that a DB contested with more than just his arms/hands, but Beasley wasn't able to hold his position, resulting in a pick. I was initially addressing the title of the OP when I wrote earlier, which was directed toward next year's WR corps. Duke is not likely to make the team, assuming we go after at least one receiver who can play that big-bodied role. As for the rest of this season, I'll stick with what I have stated all year, we need him active for the handful of opportunities where we will need a big receiver. It gives us an option outside we simply don't have right now.

Edited by Yibbyl

2 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

so 3rd and goal on the 7-9 your expecting a design play that has 4 DBs and 4 LBs to whiff on a 5'8 wr before getting to the endzone rather then a 6'3 guy to throw it high and see if he can come down with it? Big body receivers either get the opportunity to pull the 1 on 1 fades to the back corner of the endzone or take on double teams leaving guys like Brown or beasley open. Any good zone defense can shut small guys down forcing allen to throw in to even tighter windows, force an interception, throw the ball away or force him to run the ball. 

They moved on from Benjamin is because he freaking sucked and had no intentions of being in Buffalo.  Its amazing on how you are rationalizing this. You have yet to give me an actual reason as to why Kroft should be active on Saturday outside of his touchdown stats in Cincy. Clearly you are anti Duke because fans root for the underdog and do not care to hear logic as to why he should be dressed over a guy like Kroft who has been useless this entire season. Knox is going to get majority of snaps at Te with Lee Smith coming in for block protection while kroft runs around lost like he always does.