WR set next year

Killashaw

19 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

There are a number of big receivers that will potrntially be available on day 2. 

The first on the list, and least likely, is Tee Higgins. Higgins is a size-speed freak, but has hype that may see him drafted round 1. It's a deep WR class, though, and there's plenty of first-round talent at the WR that could push him down to late in round 1 or early day 2.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, out of Liberty, I'd an excellent big receiver and I would love to see him in the Bills' offense. Here's what I've previously written about him: 

Now, third on the list is Collin Johnson. Johnson is a love/hate prospect. He's massive and plays extremely sharp in and out of breaks. He has excellent movement skills for someone of his size, and runs great routes. Technically, he's a master. The issues with Johnson are that he doesn't use his size as much as he should, playing jump-balls conservatively and failing to bully defensive backs. He SHOULD be able to destroy most corners in jump-balls and close-quarters situations, but he plays soft. He also is inconsistent tracking the ball. That said, his upside is tremendous if a coach can get him to use his size more, as otherwise, he is the complete package.

Bryan Edwards is my big pick for this year. So far, I have an excellent track record of picking WRs with first-round talent who may slide in the draft, whether it's production, depth, or testing numbers that cause the player to slide. This past year, I called Terry McLaurin the best sleeper WR in the draft as a first-round talent who would be drafted on day two and was extremely high on AJ Brown (though many were). I have also predicted talent for players like Cooper Kupp, Curtis Samuel, DJ Moore, DJ Chark, Auden Tate, and Courtland Sutton in recent years. This year, Bryan Edwards is my value guy. He's an excellent, excellent WR without any real weaknesses to his game. He has good size, plays hard and tough, runs good routes, and can punish defenses with the ball in his hands. He's the type of player who's timed speed may fall short of his game speed, causing him to slide. His game speed is good. 

Chase Claypool is a big WR that's dangerous after the catch. He's a little slow, but reminds me of N'Keal Harry in his play style, where he's not necessarily a burner, but he'll generate yards after the catch by breaking tackles and is capable of some ridiculous acrobatic catches.

At UCF, the 6'3", 212 Gabriel Davis is dominating every team he faces. He had big games against Pitt and Cincinnati. He could be a good pick for the Bills.

The 6'4', 203 Tamorrion Terry out of Florida State has been one of the most-talented WRs in the country this season. He has good size, upside, and the skillset of a late-1st or early-2nd rounder, but he could slide to day 2 or even early day 3 with the depth at WR in this draft. 

And at this point, basically everyone in the nation knows LSU's Justin Jefferson. He's been extremely productive and has nice height, but he's not a bully size-wise. 

There's really a wealth of good options for big WRs for the Bills this year.

Great write up. I appreciate the info. I really like Edwards too. What's your educated guess on what spot he'll be drafted?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Billsfaninptown said:

Great write up. I appreciate the info. I really like Edwards too. What's your educated guess on what spot he'll be drafted?

Well, these types of WRs always have plenty of hype late in the process. There were rumors about Zay Jones, Terry McLaurin, Christian Kirk, and Kupp sneaking into the 1st-round. Kupp's hype died down because of his 40. I could see Edwards following suit and running a 40 in the mid 4.5s, so I'd guess he can be had in a similar range to those 4 WRs on day 2. If he's there in round 3, they'll have to trade up for him. He COULD be there at their 2nd-round pick, but if he tests well at the Combine, he'll go early round 2 like Zay Jones did, or even potentially late round 1 similar to a DJ Moore. However, we've seen guys like AJ Brown and DK Metcalf slide this past year, so it's possible that Edwards could make it to their natural 3rd in this deep class. All I can definitively say is that he won't go earlier than Buffalo's 1st and will most likely be available at their 2nd pick. 

Now that the season is coming to an end the rumor is back on with heavy smoke on AJ Green and Cincy likely parting ways eventhough they have publicly stated their interest in staying with the team. Boyd, and Ross when he wasn't injured have started to come in to their own. With the likely hood of them drafting Burrows round 1 they have a solid core of weapons. If they can build up the oline with the cap space and resign Eifert for likely less money then what Aj is going to get it may be beneficial that they do part ways from each other. He seems like a Fitzgerald type of guy sticking with his team throw thick and thin but with Lewis gone and a new regime that came in things might be different. Some rumors say he was good to go week8 and saw they were 0-7 and decided not to take the risk which led to him not playing at all this year. It makes sense from a Marketing standpoint to bring him back for fans but financially it doesnt make sense for a rebuild team to do so. Aj Green at 32 years old is looking for a final pay day and likely looking for a contender BR mentioned 3 likely teams that included the Bills which to me makes sense as the need for a big bodied receiver is a must, they have the cap, hes a Mcdermott type guy, and they are a playoff contender so both parties should look at this opportunity. It may be a risky move to pay him guaranteed money with his injury history.

As much as the draft has been the right move, two things I think should be entertained in FA is a big bodied Wr and a pass rusher. Being late in to the draft pick process the talent tends to need more time to develop then the earlier guys. Not saying no one would fall cause guys like Hopkins, Demaryius Thomas, and Dez Bryant were 20s pick I am just saying they have the funds to bring in a veteran and then be able to go in to the draft with an open mind set that any position is available when they are on the clock and a need is no longer necessary as those are the 2 biggest needs for this team moving forward. 

90 mil in projected cap space with Spain, Phillips, and Lawson the only 3 real guys that are FA that Beane could look in to extending. Zo is likely retiring and wallace is going to be tagged with the erfa.

They have an ability to make more room by cutting some guys like Murphy, Star, and lee smith clearing 11.5 mil and if they wanted to make even more cuts Hausch, Dimarco, and Kroft could clear another 8.6 mil. Murphy has been nothing but a disappointment, he has had a few decent plays but outside of that he is not living up to his pay check. Same can be said about star, paying those 2 around 10 mil each is not worth it and can be better used. Lee Smith to me has been the worst player on this team this year, he has been giving up penalties left and right then also is getting destroyed by defenses when picking up blocks. Hausch has had some bad games that cost them the browns game, could have cost them the dallas game, and he missed some against the pats early on in the year. Eventhough he has had some bad games he can still make some kicks where other teams have scrambled to find a kicker over the last 2 years so this can be 50/50. Dimarco is great on special teams but paying him over 2 mil to do that and only play a few snaps on offense to me isnt worth it. Kroft had that one great touchdown but outside of that his snaps have been getting less and less while knox is growing, I think they can add a far more talented TE in free agency to play with knox and prevent any injury concerns. 6.6 mil is a huge cap hit for little production and snaps that he has been involved in. Another guy can also be yeldon but Gore is likely done after the year as he will be 37 and he has been seeing less and less snaps. With other guys available in the draft or FA Yeldon can be the odd man out as Singletary has shown to be the #1 rb on this team. so if they ended up cutting these 7 people the bills would have about 111 mil in cap space.

On 18/11/2019 at 2:40 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

I want a WR core of John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isiah McKenzie, Duke Williams and rookie Laviska Shenault or Justin Jefferson via draft

I'd like to address DL with a veteran productive edge guy thru FA or trade.

Jordan Phillips, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver and Corey Liuget works at DT. Star Lotuleilei is garbage and needs to go. We should save a few bucks if he gets released 

One of Trent Murphy or Jerry Hughes has to go. I'm ok with extending Shaq Lawson for 3-4 years. He's still inconsistent a bit but he's improving slowly year to year. He could be a steady DE

Williams will be long gone. Your WR4 and 5 needs to offer something to special teams, and he doesn't 

18 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Williams will be long gone. Your WR4 and 5 needs to offer something to special teams, and he doesn't 

I agree......In my opinion Robert Foster will likely be back over Duke Williams, if the staff is going to keep someone from the current roster. That is because he is good on special teams, he is faster then duke, and he can be put on the erfa tag which comes dirt cheap. As much as fans like Duke and he gets this hype he clearly isnt good enough to dress for this current roster and after another offseason to add to brown and beasley he is going to get buried in the depth chart for the offseason training.I wouldnt be surprised if Beasley, Brown and Roberts are the only WR remaining from this years team on 2020 roster.

• Like 1

Duke Williams is going to ball out tomorrow. He is better than Isiah McKenzie he just isn't as fast, obviously, which is why they don't activate him. 

But Williams can create separation with his body and has incredibly strong hands. It drives me nuts that an offense as void as talent as this one wastes two roster spots on WR who only contribute on special teams. 

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Duke Williams is going to ball out tomorrow. He is better than Isiah McKenzie he just isn't as fast, obviously, which is why they don't activate him. 

But Williams can create separation with his body and has incredibly strong hands. It drives me nuts that an offense as void as talent as this one wastes two roster spots on WR who only contribute on special teams. 

I think there is more to it. Clearly Duke isnt impressing Daboll nor Hall to show he is worth an active spot.  Even though  Roberts is a WR his main goal was to be the return man and thats why he is in buffalo. Foster is a gunner because of his speed which give roberts the room to run so it is important he be active as his role is big on Special teams but he has also proven to be a depth wr. I just dont see Duke as the guy and once the offseason comes he is going to be buried with new guys coming in. I am hoping they bring in a FA as well as draft one high. If they can land AJ and draft the guy out of Colorado with the 20ish pick then that will be a solid corps between those two beasley and brown. With Roberts and either Foster or Mckenzie sticking on to the squad. We will see if duke even dresses tomorrow which is likely now that roberts is out.

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

If he had the talent, the coaches would play him. They see everyday in practice unlike people on an Internet forum 

6 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

If he had the talent, the coaches would play him. They see everyday in practice unlike people on an Internet forum 

While I cannot disagree with this statement, I also know what my eyes saw in the Titans game, his last.

See here. Type in youtube.com before this address: /watch?v=dpqPzJ4tosM&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

Duke did not stretch the field, but was getting open off of jams...including the game-winning td catch. No DB ever out-muscled him to pick off Josh. His run blocking was inconsistent, appearing half-assed early and solid/dominating later. Frankly, Foster's blocks looked like Williams' early efforts, so it's not like Foster gave an advantage in the run game vs. Tennessee. I really would like to hear the honest reason why Duke doesn't suit up. He just seems to offer a component we don't get anywhere else from our WR group.

Edited by Yibbyl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

What about what Tre White said about him? The guy who goes up against him everyday. Does he count?  He obviously has the talent and offers something no other WR on our active roster does.

I mean by that logic Senorise Perry is better than Yeldon because he is active. There is a lot more that goes into the top 46 than pure talent sometimes. I get why Robert Foster is active, he adds something to special teams and maybe isn't completely useless at WR. But McKenzie? He is an average gadget player at best.

Edited by Trentwannabe

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think there is more to it. Clearly Duke isnt impressing Daboll nor Hall to show he is worth an active spot.  Even though  Roberts is a WR his main goal was to be the return man and thats why he is in buffalo. Foster is a gunner because of his speed which give roberts the room to run so it is important he be active as his role is big on Special teams but he has also proven to be a depth wr. I just dont see Duke as the guy and once the offseason comes he is going to be buried with new guys coming in. I am hoping they bring in a FA as well as draft one high. If they can land AJ and draft the guy out of Colorado with the 20ish pick then that will be a solid corps between those two beasley and brown. With Roberts and either Foster or Mckenzie sticking on to the squad. We will see if duke even dresses tomorrow which is likely now that roberts is out.

To the bolded - if that was the case why would they keep him on the 53? They could release him and see if he clears waivers. 

I get why Roberts is here. But we are basically a 3 WR team now as Foster hasn't shown anything close to what he did late last season and Roberts is the KR guy. Duke has shown in his limited time he is a better blocker than McKenzie. They have the same amount of TD's and Duke can high point balls better than anyone on the roster. Really the only thing McKenzie offers that Duke can't, is speed. Clearly the staff has put a premium on that for this season in Josh's development. It is u unfortunate IMO.

1 hour ago, Yibbyl said:

While I cannot disagree with this statement, I also know what my eyes saw in the Titans game, his last.

See here. Type in youtube.com before this address: /watch?v=dpqPzJ4tosM&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

Duke did not stretch the field, but was getting open off of jams...including the game-winning td catch. No DB ever out-muscled him to pick off Josh. His run blocking was inconsistent, appearing half-assed early and solid/dominating later. Frankly, Foster blocks looked like Williams' early efforts, so it's not like Foster gave an advantage in the run game vs. Tennessee. I really would like to hear the honest reason why Duke doesn't suit up. He just seems to offer a component we don't get anywhere else from our WR group.

Josh Allen needs to see guys wide open before he throws it more often than not. Duke may not always look open which would cause Allen to be hesitant. With McKenzie they can do gimmicky things and/or the little flip pass. Wish they would just do that with Foster tbh.

. Justin Jefferson needs to be a Bill. He is being looked at as a 2nd round draft prospect but i think only reason he is is because he has been overlooked on LSU due to Chase... but Jefferson wont be overlooked anymore with a 4TD performance in first half of college football playoffs... at the very least this pushes him up draft boards and makes others fall. This WR class is amazing. Beane is doing a great job of looking at with needs and strengths of draft class. Last year he knew Williams was retiring and we would need a replacement  and the DL was the strength of the draft... he added #2 and #3 type receiver but didnt add a #1 WR and this WR draft class has the chance to be the best  ever

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

. Justin Jefferson needs to be a Bill. He is being looked at as a 2nd round draft prospect but i think only reason he is is because he has been overlooked on LSU due to Chase... but Jefferson wont be overlooked anymore with a 4TD performance in first half of college football playoffs... at the very least this pushes him up draft boards and makes others fall. This WR class is amazing. Beane is doing a great job of looking at with needs and strengths of draft class. Last year he knew Williams was retiring and we would need a replacement  and the DL was the strength of the draft... he added #2 and #3 type receiver but didnt add a #1 WR and this WR draft class has the chance to be the best  ever

He was an early 2nd rd pick but now he is likely putting himself in the late 1st round. The thing is each year you have a waive of WR on whether they go early or not. Lamb Jeudy ruggs Laviska Higgins and Jefferson all can be argued as a 1st rd pick. Everyone though Brown Metcalf should all be 1st round picks and as high as 9 to the bills and look where they ended up in the draft. I am all for drafting a wr if the bills land a top pass rusher in free agency and one is available when they are on the clock but please do not trade up for one. I still would like to add a big veteran but we will see.