• Other - Comment on your choice
  3. 3. 49ers' Mid-Season Most Surprising Player

• Justin Skule
    • Daniel Brunskill
    • Emmanuel Mosley
    • Ross Dwelley
    • Other - Comment on your choice

Overall MVP: George Kittle

His numbers are not flashy and I highly doubt he will match last season's production, but despite all of that, Kittle is still the MVP of the team. Every week, he's coming up with big-time catches or impact blocks to keep drives alive. He's the best all-around TE in the game and it's not even close. His blocking is on another level, his hands are like glue, and he's a GOOD person and a GREAT teammate (these two things are, IMO, one of the key components of the 49ers' success).

Offensive MVP: George Kittle

Read Above

Defensive MVP: Nick Bosa

This is an obvious choice. His impact is so clearly evident that people are confusing him for his older brother. It was mentioned during the Cardinals game that when rookies come in, they're either extremely talented physically but don't know how to completely harness it yet, or they can process things very quickly, but don't have the physical ability to capitalize on everything they see. Nick Bosa is the mashup of both. His technique is already elite and his physical ability is rare. He has the ability to single-handedly change the outcome of games and there aren't too many players in the NFL who can do that.

Most Improved Offensive Player: Weston Richburg

Last season, he did not play well. Most of his struggles can be attributed to not being completely healthy, though. Regardless, he has really stepped it up this year and is playing really well. His athletism is on full display this year and showing why Shanahan wanted him so badly. 

Most Improved Defensive Player: Arik Armstead

this dude has turned into a nightmare for opposing offenses. He's getting penetration for a sack or a TFL, he's bouncing outside to blow up screens, he's running down ball carrier's downfield. He's finally what we thought we were getting when he was drafted. Injuries were a big part of his lack of consistent on-field play, but let's hope he's passed that now.

Most Surprising Offensive Player: Daniel Brunskill

The argument could be made for Justin Skule here, but what's made me choose Brunskill is that Skule was looked at someone who had a long-term future with the team. Brunskill was widely seen as a pre-season cut or someone who didn't have any future with the team. Brunskill's run blocking has been getting better each week to the point that Brian Baldinger is featuring him on his weekly film breakdown. Brunskill's pass protection is also improving, but he's definitely a better run blocker. It should also be mentioned that Brunskill has yet to be called for a penalty of any type. That's extremely impressive. 

Most Surprising Defensive Player: Emmanuel Mosley

This should come as no surprise to anyone as Mosely has been playing at a high level since he stepped on the field. Even going all the way back to training camp, he was showing off his talent and football IQ. He went from being a practice squad corner who may or may not be a fringe player on the roster to someone who could be a long-term starter. 

Most Disappointing Offensive Player: Dante Pettis

Pettis has been coming on as of late, but training camp through the first quarter of the season we were all wondering where his head was at. I was expecting to see Pettis take a step forward this year and show that he was going to be a legit weapon, but he just hasn't taken that step forward yet. The talent is there, no doubt about that, but he's still too inconsistent. I'm hoping he continues to step it up in the second half and really puts in the work this offseason to become what we all think he can be.

Most Disappointing Defensive Player: DeForest Buckner

I'm really splitting hairs with this one and I don't feel great about it at all, but I can't point to any one player on the defense and say he's been disappointing. Buckner isn't putting up the numbers he usually puts up mainly because of getting double-teamed so often. Last year, he got to rush from the edge and move all around the line to wreak havoc. He's not getting the same opportunities this year because of our improved EDGE defenders. Again, I don't feel great with this pick, but out of everyone who had lofty expectations, Buckner is the biggest one not living up to them this season. He's still amazing though - I love you, Buck.

Most Valuable Coach: Chris Kocurek

Some people might think I'm insane for not choosing Shanahan or Saleh, and rightly so as they've been impressive this year. But, what would Saleh's defense look like without Kocurek coaching up the d-line or Woods coaching up the DB's. I'm highlighting Kocurek here because of the utter destruction caused by the d-line so far this year. They're the main reason the defense has performed so well and if we didn't bring him on board this year, I'm not sure the defense would be playing as well.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

His numbers are not flashy and I highly doubt he will match last season's production, but despite all of that, Kittle is still the MVP of the team. Every week, he's coming up with big-time catches or impact blocks to keep drives alive. He's the best all-around TE in the game and it's not even close. His blocking is on another level, his hands are like glue, and he's a GOOD person and a GREAT teammate (these two things are, IMO, one of the key components of the 49ers' success).

Read Above

This is an obvious choice. His impact is so clearly evident that people are confusing him for his older brother. It was mentioned during the Cardinals game that when rookies come in, they're either extremely talented physically but don't know how to completely harness it yet, or they can process things very quickly, but don't have the physical ability to capitalize on everything they see. Nick Bosa is the mashup of both. His technique is already elite and his physical ability is rare. He has the ability to single-handedly change the outcome of games and there aren't too many players in the NFL who can do that.

Last season, he did not play well. Most of his struggles can be attributed to not being completely healthy, though. Regardless, he has really stepped it up this year and is playing really well. His athletism is on full display this year and showing why Shanahan wanted him so badly. 

this dude has turned into a nightmare for opposing offenses. He's getting penetration for a sack or a TFL, he's bouncing outside to blow up screens, he's running down ball carrier's downfield. He's finally what we thought we were getting when he was drafted. Injuries were a big part of his lack of consistent on-field play, but let's hope he's passed that now.

The argument could be made for Justin Skule here, but what's made me choose Brunskill is that Skule was looked at someone who had a long-term future with the team. Brunskill was widely seen as a pre-season cut or someone who didn't have any future with the team. Brunskill's run blocking has been getting better each week to the point that Brian Baldinger is featuring him on his weekly film breakdown. Brunskill's pass protection is also improving, but he's definitely a better run blocker. It should also be mentioned that Brunskill has yet to be called for a penalty of any type. That's extremely impressive. 

This should come as no surprise to anyone as Mosely has been playing at a high level since he stepped on the field. Even going all the way back to training camp, he was showing off his talent and football IQ. He went from being a practice squad corner who may or may not be a fringe player on the roster to someone who could be a long-term starter. 

Pettis has been coming on as of late, but training camp through the first quarter of the season we were all wondering where his head was at. I was expecting to see Pettis take a step forward this year and show that he was going to be a legit weapon, but he just hasn't taken that step forward yet. The talent is there, no doubt about that, but he's still too inconsistent. I'm hoping he continues to step it up in the second half and really puts in the work this offseason to become what we all think he can be.

I'm really splitting hairs with this one and I don't feel great about it at all, but I can't point to any one player on the defense and say he's been disappointing. Buckner isn't putting up the numbers he usually puts up mainly because of getting double-teamed so often. Last year, he got to rush from the edge and move all around the line to wreak havoc. He's not getting the same opportunities this year because of our improved EDGE defenders. Again, I don't feel great with this pick, but out of everyone who had lofty expectations, Buckner is the biggest one not living up to them this season. He's still amazing though - I love you, Buck.

Some people might think I'm insane for not choosing Shanahan or Saleh, and rightly so as they've been impressive this year. But, what would Saleh's defense look like without Kocurek coaching up the d-line or Woods coaching up the DB's. I'm highlighting Kocurek here because of the utter destruction caused by the d-line so far this year. They're the main reason the defense has performed so well and if we didn't bring him on board this year, I'm not sure the defense would be playing as well.

I would give the surprising offensive player to Skule for taking on the left side, but can't complain about Brunskill either. Maybe a Co award there. I would also give Witherspoon the defensive most improved. He was pretty much jettisoned off the roster by a lot of people and he has come back and really made an impact in such a short time. Again, can't complain about Armstead either

Most disappointing defensive player for me would go to Travarious Moore. He had an opportunity to take the FS job and was not very good.

12 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Most disappointing defensive player for me would go to Travarious Moore. He had an opportunity to take the FS job and was not very good.

"Was not very good" when compared with the rest of an outstanding defense, but otherwise I was very pleased with how he looked.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

"Was not very good" when compared with the rest of an outstanding defense, but otherwise I was very pleased with how he looked.

Agreed. He's got notable flaws, of course, but I was fine with him in there. Only the tackling is a major concern. And I know we have always bagged on Ward, but talent and on field play (except when an outside corner) has never been the real problem with him. He's not an easy guy to just take the job from without injury, tbh. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Read Above

So you break yours down like this, but the ballots cannot be like that? I feel cheated! 

I was torn between Kittle and Bosa. I voted Bosa since I have his jersey....:P

Richburg, then Brunskill on the next two. Our OL is much better overall than I thought it might be.

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So you break yours down like this, but the ballots cannot be like that? I feel cheated! 

I was torn between Kittle and Bosa. I voted Bosa since I have his jersey....:P

Richburg, then Brunskill on the next two. Our OL is much better overall than I thought it might be.

I can only do a max of three questions. I wanted to do all of them, but Football's Future denied me!

19 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Brunskill's pass protection is also improving, but he's definitely a better run blocker.

Brunskill has been my most surprising too, and he might be a legit starter in this league. The versatility to play interior line in the preseason and this stretch of 5 games is amazing. He’s better than Skule too, though Skule is no slouch on jimmys blind side

1 hour ago, nayad said:

Brunskill has been my most surprising too, and he might be a legit starter in this league. The versatility to play interior line in the preseason and this stretch of 5 games is amazing. He’s better than Skule too, though Skule is no slouch on jimmys blind side

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. 

Edit: Found this just a few minutes ago:

Edited by NinerNation21