Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Week 10 GDT - Chargers @ Raiders - Thursday Night Football, baby!

Who wins on Thursday?  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins on Thursday?

    • Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaidahs
      18
    • The San Diego... I mean Los Angeles team
      1
    • I just hope everyone enjoys themselves
      2


Recommended Posts

Just now, Bitty 2.0 said:

Cle went from draft bust the AFC defense of player of the week.

Crazy how one games makes such a big difference in the eyes of fans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Crazy how one games makes such a big difference in the eyes of fans. 

Fans are too impatient. Years ago, you didn't judge rookies until year 3. Now everyone expects instant gratification. I blame social media. Everyone has an opinion now and everything is 24 hour news cycle. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Fans are too impatient. Years ago, you didn't judge rookies until year 3. Now everyone expects instant gratification. I blame social media. Everyone has an opinion now and everything is 24 hour news cycle. 

Couldnt agree more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Fans are too impatient. Years ago, you didn't judge rookies until year 3. Now everyone expects instant gratification. I blame social media. Everyone has an opinion now and everything is 24 hour news cycle. 

Years ago teams didnt draft the first 2 rounds for instant impact players and starters either. Years ago jones and haskins wouldnt had played this year at all. So teams changed their perspective and so did the fans following them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Couldnt agree more

Seriously... I was talking to someone today about Chris Long. He was a college stud, went #2 overall in the 2008 draft and had 4 sacks as a rookie. Nobody was calling him a bust. He wouldn't hit double digit sacks until his 4th year.

That was just 11 years ago. Now everyone is reacting to draft twitter and  PFF "grades". Making sweeping declarations immediately on these young players.

It honestly would suck to be a pro athlete in this era. Under a constant scrutiny and would be really hard to escape it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, big_palooka said:

Seriously... I was talking to someone today about Chris Long. He was a college stud, went #2 overall in the 2008 draft and had 4 sacks as a rookie. Nobody was calling him a bust. He wouldn't hit double digit sacks until his 4th year.

That was just 11 years ago. Now everyone is reacting to draft twitter and  PFF "grades". Making sweeping declarations immediately on these young players.

It honestly would suck to be a pro athlete in this era. Under a constant scrutiny and would be really hard to escape it.

Yup. And even when you have a good game the media and twitter draft experts are the last people on earth to admit their wrong so once the narrative is built that you're a bust or were overdrafted its like you have to do twice the work from the guys that were loved predraft to get any credit. 

There have been constant stories about Ferrell week in and week out about how poorly he's played, its been crickets the past two weeks in regards to him coming on and possibly turning the corner. 

I'm one of the more patient people I know and I'm not going to say I didnt want more from Ferrell the first 7 weeks, but it's ridiculous to act like he's a finished product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Years ago teams didnt draft the first 2 rounds for instant impact players and starters either. Years ago jones and haskins wouldnt had played this year at all. So teams changed their perspective and so did the fans following them. 

Teams have always wanted to get an instant impact. Some and key word is some players are capable of a lot coming out of college. Others, there is a learning curve. The difference is, teams are not patient anymore.

Again... 24 hour news cycle, you get pressured to play certain players. And the media likes to bury teams who are trying to rebuild. Look at how much flack Gruden took last year for trying to build a team in his vision. The Dolphins now. Social media LOVES to take down 1) High draft picks 2) Highly paid athletes 3) Big personalities who are underachieving.

Social media has made the world suck honestly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Teams have always wanted to get an instant impact. Some and key word is some players are capable of a lot coming out of college. Others, there is a learning curve. The difference is, teams are not patient anymore.

Again... 24 hour news cycle, you get pressured to play certain players. And the media likes to bury teams who are trying to rebuild. Look at how much flack Gruden took last year for trying to build a team in his vision. The Dolphins now. Social media LOVES to take down 1) High draft picks 2) Highly paid athletes 3) Big personalities who are underachieving.

Social media has made the world suck honestly. 

Fully agree with your final sentence. Social Media has made the world extremely impatient. Ferrells rookie campaign would not have been a problem at all even ten years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, big_palooka said:

 

Social media has made the world suck honestly. 

That's why some of us aren't on it. 7 years ago I saw FB as giving up my privacy. Since then I've heard of people I know having their dirty laundry aired (affairs/behind closed doors now open/etc, some losing jobs posting their fun when they called off sick and work saw the posts, I-phone talking to FB letting everybody know where they went and I didn't even mention the privacy concerns that others recently are talking about with personal info/etc...

I've got this FF, Youtube and some stock market ones like IHUB and SA. Not really 'social media'  but still quicker that the daily paper for info. LOL None of it identifying me because I saw the writing on the wall long ago. What I've noticed (other than being salty with Mack trade) is I'm happier/healthier and better balanced than those I know and come across. I'm also not a big texter and my phone isn't attached to me like a leash. No one is as important as they think they are due to social media and needing to be contacted 24/7. I sometimes take vacations that don't have internet/tv/cell reception and it's great to see people communicating directly and doing things together. It's all about choice and being able to handle 'withdrawls' (I did with FB at first) Best things about the fires/blackouts here in Sonoma County is I saw a lot of parents taking walks with their kids and talking. Lots of neighbors talking and looking out for each other. Tragedy can be tragic but it also can bring out the best in many of us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This crowd was LOUD on 3rd downs. Even my fiancee was like whoaaaa. 

Which worries me about Vegas. While I think it’ll be 75% fans and nothing like Charger games, if fans can pick one road game to go to all year, what game are they gonna go to? Party town Las Vegas and their shiny new stadium. There will be A LOT of road fans. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...