Clarkfn's Arizona Game Review....The Preferred Review for Dad's That Implement the "Dad Tax" on Halloween

clarkfn2284

Thursday night games are always a bit spooky and this one was extra spooky with it being Halloween and all.....I'm running out of creativity for these intros....so let's get into it.

QB

Jimmy played what many may say is his best game as the QB of the 49ers. I don't know if that is the case, but for this season he definitely played as good as we have seen him. The timing and anticipation on his throws were as good as we have witnessed from him. The noticeable thing in this game for me was how he showcased his arm talent. It isn't news to me that Jimmy has a great arm, but every now and then we need a reminder of just how good it is. The throw on the Pettis TD is a perfect example. He didn't get a chance to step into it and he saw Pettis late, but he was still able to put it in a spot only Pettis could get to it. Just a supremely talented throw. I was still very impressed with Jimmy's pocket awareness and his footwork when moving in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. He is very good when he moves his feet and creates space for himself to reset and throw under pressure. Just a fantastic performance all around.

Grade: A+

RB

Tough sledding again in the run game. I thought Coleman was pretty ineffective, but Breida was the star at the position for me. Breida, at times looks like he plays at a different speed than the rest of the guys on the field. He got 15 carries in this game and averaged 5.2/carry. He was able to gash the Cards at times and was able to bring in a couple of catches as well. What I like most about this group is the versatility each guy provides and yet they can all hit homeruns too.

Grade: Coleman (C), Breida (B+)

WR

Is this group starting to look competent? I need to see it more consistently, but the addition of Emmanuel Sanders has definitely played a huge part in this groups efficiency. Sanders and Jimmy have developed a nice chemistry in just a short period of time that we can only assume will get better. Pettis was a non factor all night, but ran a nice route and did a great job of making the catch and keeping his feet under control approaching the sideline. Deebo was a factor and while I think there is a lot more to get out of him, he is super effective on third downs and I like that role for him. He is a bit of a chance of pace WR if that exists. He can do so many different things and Kyle knows how to use him to take advantage of the defense. Solid showing from this group.

Grade: Sanders (A+), Pettis (C), Bourne (C), Deebo (B-)

TE

George Kittle is the best TE in the world today and one of the tougher dudes you will find. That was a pretty nasty injury to come back from. Not only did he come back, but he was effective until he no longer was. Late in the game, my assumption would be that he got pretty stiff and was a liability on the field. No need to go into his numbers, we know what they were and we know what he is. Ross Dwelley was very clutch in this game. He has little by little started to see more implementation into the game plan and we are starting to see why he was drafted. He has good hands and does a nice job being ready when called upon.

Grade: Kittle (A+), Dwelley (B-)

OL

Not a great night for the offensive line as a whole. They only relinquished a sack and really my issue wasn't so much the pass pro, but more the lack of push in the run game. Tomlinson, Richburg and Person were consistently getting driven back into the play on run calls. Still managed to open up enough holes to have a somewhat effective running game and they kept Jimmy clean on a lot more plays where he needed more time to let things develop. A lot of this may have been a short week on top of lack of a true game plan from Shanahan. I think Kyle really hides a lot of players flaws with how he schemes and sets up plays in game. Re-enforcements are on the way and these guys deserve a huge pat on the back for holding it down while waiting for the tackles to get back.

Grade: Skule (B-), Tomlinson (C), Richburg (C), Person (C), Brunskill (C+)

DL

Not the best performance from these guys either and the defense as a whole was actually pretty bad. Buckner was stood up a lot on the first drive due to playing too high, but adjusted nicely and had 2 TFL's. Bosa was shutdown and this may be the first game where there was an active approach to chip him and double him consistently. That being said, he still got push. Everyone else was just kind of there after the first couple of drives by the Cardinals. DJ Jones continues to flash on the field. He has odd speed for his size and is playing really explosive. The D-line will need to be stout against Seattle because Carson is a load. It's hard for me to be too hard on these guys because of the short week and the tempo that Arizona plays with.

Grade: Ford (C+), Buckner (C+), Armstead (C), Bosa (C), Jones (C+), Thomas (C), Blair (C-)

LB

Worst game of the year for these guys. Lots of missed tackles and bad angles. Again, a short week and tempo play a huge role. Kwon being out will hurt, but I like Greenlaw a lot and think if the game slows down for him that he could really step in and be good. In fact, I though Green law played well all things considered. Warner has to better, he missed a handful of tackles and dropped the pick 6. His eyes were good when reading Kyler, but you have to finish plays.

Grade: Kwon (C), Warner (C), Greenlaw (C+)

DB

Yuck! Just bad play to all in this group. Moseley struggled and took a chance undercutting the long pass play. It's a catch 22 in that moment. If he makes the play we all are talking about how great it was. In reality, it is probably better to not undercut and just play a little less aggressive considering the time left and the score at the time. Sherman didn't help with his terrible tackling angle, but if you watch the safety is trying to communicate to Sherman from behind him to take the inside. Obviously, he didn't hear him and that left both of your tacklers susceptible to the inside cut. They will be better and I like that they were upset with how they played.

Grade: Sherman (C-), Moseley (C-), K'Waun (C)

S

Not a whole lot to say that hasn't already been said. Tartt was solid in the box, but the coverage was lack luster at best in the secondary from he and Ward. Again, they will be better.

Grade: Tartt (C), Ward (C)

ST

Nice game again from the gunners. Gould had an easy night off for the most part and Wishnowsky did a nice job on his punts. One thing that I look at every week that has started to make me wonder......Gould looks to be approaching the ball slower when he kicks.....might not be the case as I have not looked at last season to see if there is a difference or not. It's jusyt something that I have taken notice too for some reason. Someone not named Clarkfn2284 do some research......

Thursday nighters are tricky. Fortunately, the Niners got some treats with a nice night in the pass game and were able to come away with win number 8. I think there has been some film out now on how to attack the Niners defense. If you can spread them out and run tempo you can mitigate against the pass rush. However, not many teams can do it with the effectiveness that the Cards do. I expect a nice bounce back against Seattle and then a complete dismantling of the Cards in two weeks.

More than anything this team has shown that they can win in any type of game. That becomes very important as the season wears on.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Another really good one. Lose all the intro creativity you want; that's just extra fluff-fun, no problem.

You are still providing strong takes on the prior game, and still rockin' it. hat-tip-smiley-emoticon.gif

This one was a tough one to do because I didn't watch it live due to being out with the kid and then I sat on my thoughts for a few days, which allowed for me to forget what I saw. However, I did get to sit and watch the game in peace while gorging myself with Twix and Skittles.......The chocolate to sweet, fruit flavored candy was not a good transition.

15 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

This one was a tough one to do because I didn't watch it live due to being out with the kid and then I sat on my thoughts for a few days, which allowed for me to forget what I saw. However, I did get to sit and watch the game in peace while gorging myself with Twix and Skittles.......The chocolate to sweet, fruit flavored candy was not a good transition.

Chocolate is where it's at. Especially Dark! All other sweets are inferior. 

Come to the Dark Side! It's much tastier! 

B|

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Chocolate is where it's at. Especially Dark! All other sweets are inferior. 

Come to the Dark Side! It's much tastier! 

B|

Not the biggest fan of dark chocolate. However, if it is dark chocolate chips, ya boy stay crushing those!