Make-A-Movie Draft Discussion Thread - Writeups due 12/9

rackcs

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I will help anybody on their movie.  Dialogue, plot, etc.  I’m not really in this to win it because I’m having fun just doing it. That said, if anybody could help me come up with a test, I’m really struggling there.  Looking at you, @Malfatron.

I’ve got some ideas, but I’m not sure how well they’d play.

Same here, I already helped a lot of people during the casting process and I really enjoyed hearing about all of the ideas.

14 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Man, I really wanna write this script, just don't know how much I can get done before the 2nd. 

I started writing mine today lol I think I'm just gonna fully script out some of the key scenes maybe

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

It's all new to me so....what? 

Don’t worry too much about it and just have fun with it.  

Start with:

FADE IN

end with:

FADE OUT

Whenever you get to a new scene, tell us where it is. 

INT for interior.  EXT for exterior.  Then tell us where it is, then what time of day.  

Example:

INT.  LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

Below that you describe what’s happening.  THIS IS WHERE YOU USE THE ACTIVE VOICE.

Jack THROWS the baseball.

Not

Jack is throwing the baseball.  

For dialogue, center the character’s name and put it in caps lock.  

For example:

INT. PICKLE AND ORCA’S BASEMENT - NIGHT

PICKLE, 17 with a Mexi-stache, types on his keyboard.  Mountain Dew and pretzels litter the desk.  

ORCA, 17 and with a unibrow, walks into the room.

ORCA

What are you doing?

PICKLE

Working on this script.

Pickle buries his head in his desk.  Then, he lifts his head quickly, rips the paper out of the typewriter, balls up the paper and throws it next to other crumpled pages and types furiously on his keyboard.  

No double space between character and dialogue.  On phone.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Start with:

FADE IN

end with:

FADE OUT

INT for interior.  EXT for exterior.  Then tell us where it is, then what time of day.  

Example:

Below that you describe what’s happening.  THIS IS WHERE YOU USE THE ACTIVE VOICE.

Not

For example:

PICKLE, 17 with a Mexi-stache, types on his keyboard.  Mountain Dew and pretzels litter the desk.  

ORCA

What are you doing?

PICKLE

Working on this script.

Pickle buries his head in his desk.  Then, he lifts his head quickly, rips the paper out of the typewriter, balls up the paper and throws it next to other crumpled pages and types furiously on his keyboard.  

I use celtx and it does a lot of the formatting stuff for me. Writing big print is still something I'm trying to improve, especially the active voice part. I also never fully grasp the random capitalization lol

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Start with:

FADE IN

end with:

FADE OUT

Example:

Not

For example:

ORCA

What are you doing?

PICKLE

Working on this script.

Believe it or not I think I did most of this, or at least attempted to.  I actually like writing this stuff.  Probably not good at it, but still having fun with it 

27 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I use celtx and it does a lot of the formatting stuff for me. Writing big print is still something I'm trying to improve, especially the active voice part. I also never fully grasp the random capitalization lol

Is celtx free and worth using?

I was manually doing it all in Google docs 

23 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Is celtx free and worth using?

I was manually doing it all in Google docs 

Yeah, theres a free version that gives you everything you'll need. I have like 15 barely started scripts from when I wanted to be a writer a few years ago lol I still bust it out from time to time to add another barely started script.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I will help anybody on their movie.  Dialogue, plot, etc.  I’m not really in this to win it because I’m having fun just doing it. That said, if anybody could help me come up with a test, I’m really struggling there.  Looking at you, @Malfatron.

I’ve got some ideas, but I’m not sure how well they’d play.

I tried, and even watched the Blood test scene again.

I have no idea how you would be able to equal that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I tried, and even watched the Blood test scene again.

I have no idea how you would be able to equal that.

Nooooooo, I know I’m not going to do better than that.  I’m trying to think of a new way for them to test who is the thing and who isn’t.  I cannot think of a thing, and like I said earlier every time I try to think of a new test my brain takes me back to a piss test and I can’t get past that.  If I don’t think of something, I’m just going to cut that out completely and just have them figure out how to do the original test the 82 camp wanted to do before somebody got to the blood.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nooooooo, I know I’m not going to do better than that.  I’m trying to think of a new way for them to test who is the thing and who isn’t.  I cannot think of a thing, and like I said earlier every time I try to think of a new test my brain takes me back to a piss test and I can’t get past that.  If I don’t think of something, I’m just going to cut that out completely and just have them figure out how to do the original test the 82 camp wanted to do before somebody got to the blood.

What about hair?

Seems better than piss.

• Like 1