Make-A-Movie Draft Discussion Thread - Writeups due 12/9

rackcs

Ben Hardy takes over for Tom Hardy.  Will easily accomplish that pretend protagonist role.  Gotta save on my budget because there’s gonna be like 40 million spent on practical effects alone.

Alex Pettyfer takes over Taron Edgerton’s role as the cocky, wisecracking and stupid cook.  Matt Milne has been added in an undetermined role.  

John Carpenter is a creative consultant.  I’ll direct.  Just kidding.  Maybe.  I don’t like the idea of giving Carpenter the director’s seat because I have a sneaking suspicion that Dean Cundey had more to do with how excellent The Thing was than Carpenter.  Not a fan of literally any of the acting in any Carpenter-directed movie ever except for The Thing.  Dean Cundey on cinematography again.  

26 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Using ****ty actors instead of world class ones? Very interesting strategy.

Nobody I have selected is ****ty by any means.  I spent a very long time finding actors and even extras who perfectly look, act and sound how I want them.  Dylan Moran, for example.  That’s a role no A-list celebrity wants.  

He’s meek, he’s timid, he’s terrified.

Tobias Menzies is the perfect counter to Russell’s MaCReady.  Instead of the brash, grim and take-charge alpha male personality of MacReady, Menzies is going to be the soft-spoken, speculative, contemplative and calming voice that can both calm his fellow humans while conceal from The Thing.  

William Beck is a damn doppelgänger to a good friend of mine who is not remotely book smart.  His interactions with all of these wildly intelligent men is going to be extremely important to my story and he fits the character (inspired by that good friend of mine) perfectly.  

The cook is not a great role.  Taron Edgerton would be perfect for it, but the man is going to be nominated for an Oscar.  

I’m trying to make this movie as realistically as possible.  Overcasting is very, very, very, very, very real.  Way way way too many movies overcast, and they’re duds.  Think of LOTR.  Nobody in that saga was a star the time it was made.  Then think of all the attempts to duplicate LOTR.  Like Jeremy Irons in that Eragon or whatever dragon movie.  He stuck out lie a sore thumb.  

More important than the actors and their ability is the actors and how well they fit their roles.  

Also, just think of the original.  The 82 version.  Russell wasn’t Kurt Russell then.  Wilford Brimley was the top-billed actor for that movie.  Keith David has literally a single acting credit.  Nobody else even had a career in film pretty much.  Garry has a few small roles (including in Executive Decision), but...

The only one in my cast who MIGHT be ****ty is Peck, but he fits the look and he’s cheap.

Edited by Outpost31

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nobody I have selected is ****ty by any means.  I spent a very long time finding actors and even extras who perfectly look, act and sound how I want them.  Dylan Moran, for example.  That’s a role no A-list celebrity wants.  

He’s meek, he’s timid, he’s terrified.

Tobias Menzies is the perfect counter to Russell’s MaCReady.  Instead of the brash, grim and take-charge alpha male personality of MacReady, Menzies is going to be the soft-spoken, speculative, contemplative and calming voice that can both calm his fellow humans while conceal from The Thing.  

William Beck is a damn doppelgänger to a good friend of mine who is not remotely book smart.  His interactions with all of these wildly intelligent men is going to be extremely important to my story and he fits the character (inspired by that good friend of mine) perfectly.  

The cook is not a great role.  Taron Edgerton would be perfect for it, but the man is going to be nominated for an Oscar.  

I’m trying to make this movie as realistically as possible.  Overcasting is very, very, very, very, very real.  Way way way too many movies overcast, and they’re duds.  Think of LOTR.  Nobody in that saga was a star the time it was made.  Then think of all the attempts to duplicate LOTR.  Like Jeremy Irons in that Eragon or whatever dragon movie.  He stuck out lie a sore thumb.  

More important than the actors and their ability is the actors and how well they fit their roles.  

Also, just think of the original.  The 82 version.  Russell wasn’t Kurt Russell then.  Wilford Brimley was the top-billed actor for that movie.  Keith David has literally a single acting credit.  Nobody else even had a career in film pretty much.  Garry has a few small roles (including in Executive Decision), but...

The only one in my cast who MIGHT be ****ty is Peck, but he fits the look and he’s cheap.

I'm not big on Pettyfer or Hardy is all. And I get that totally irl but this is just for fun. You do you though, this is completely your vision and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

49 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I'm not big on Pettyfer or Hardy is all. And I get that totally irl but this is just for fun. You do you though, this is completely your vision and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Hardy in Bohemian Rhapsody was really good.  

Edit: I was like WTF is wrong with Pettyfer?  Looked him up on IMDB and I’m seeing I Am Number Four and that ****ty Beauty and the Beast movie.  Got me second guessing that one.  I cast him based on the Elvis and Nixon movie.  

Hardy I’m confident in though.  Write out that Apocalypse crap from your mind.  Or whichever X-Men movie he was in.  

Edited by Outpost31

54 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Also, I'm super pumped for the next one. I've got an idea for if it's a tv show draft and one for if it's another movie one.

I’ve been thinking about adapting what I already have a spec script written for, but not sure.  I know it needs a lot of work, and I’m not sure if I have the time for that work to edit that script.  It’s called Mr. Foot and heavily inspired by when the Coen Brothers didn’t suck.  Lolololol

Edited by Outpost31

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I’ve been thinking about adapting what I already have a spec script written for, but not sure.  I know it needs a lot of work, and I’m not sure if I have the time for that work to edit that script.  It’s called Mr. Foot and heavily inspired by when the Coen Brothers didn’t suck.  Lolololol

Ok, first of all, hurtful.

Second of all, I'm excited for it.

15 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Cool, is this an origin story for the Foot Clan on TMNT?

No, it’s about a guy who decides to live life like the modern Sasquatch, but Mr. Foot is not the protagonist.  He steals the protagonist’s 10,000 dollar pair of binoculars.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rackcs said:

My tv idea is in the vein of fargo, an anthology miniseries based on the themes and tone of The Shining

I really hate The Shining.  Movie, not book. Never read the book because I don’t want to hate the movie even more.  

If we do TV series I might do an HBO miniseries event of The Thing.  Then I’d be able to go with my original ending to set up season 2.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I really hate The Shining.  Movie, not book. Never read the book because I don’t want to hate the movie even more.  

If we do TV series I might do an HBO miniseries event of The Thing.  Then I’d be able to go with my original ending to set up season 2.

I seriously cannot hate your entertainment opinions any more than I already do

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I seriously cannot hate your entertainment opinions any more than I already do

It’s just so bland.  My opinion is almost exactly like Kong’s.  Beautiful movie obviously, but it wasn’t remotely scary, Duvall was terrible, it should have been Jon Voight, and on and on and on.