Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I thought he was in a really tough spot having to plan for the future but not quit on this team, and to that, I think he succeeded wonderfully well.

I would probably give Smith a QO next year. At 18 million, he may take it. Then this time next year, maybe we are in the same spot and can trade him then. I have no doubt bum gets the QO, and unlike Smith, he'll get signed early enough to where we get the pick (if Smith turns it down, he may get kimbrelled)

The Melancon deal was pure one of the best deals of the day because of this exact reason. 

What a clearly great day for Zaidi. This is exactly the type of deadline I was hoping for. People are sleeping on Gennett, his career numbers are far too good on consistent for this 20 game stretch to be anything more than a slump. If theres one complaint i had its that the giants couldnt find a home for Joe Panik. I'm pretty done with him, theres just no power and he's even lost his best trait of making contact. I'm pretty sure he's got options but has surpassed the 5 years of service rule so he has the choice of accepting or being released. Maybe we hold off till rosters expand before we call up Dubon, though he might be here earlier if Longo and DickDick are out for a stretch since he in theory can backup both.

A Belt upgrade would have been cool, and i thought the door was open to move him once Voit for the yankees got hurt. Shaw/Posey/Green Platoon would be fine with me. It going to be an interesting next few weeks regardless of the playoff push. Who between D-Rod, Beede, and Anderson (maybe Menez) solidifies a 2020 sport in the opening day rotation. Second, what does the bullpen look like after Watson, Moranta, Smith and Gott. 

On 7/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, 48 1/2ers said:

A Belt upgrade would have been cool, and i thought the door was open to move him once Voit for the yankees got hurt. Shaw/Posey/Green Platoon would be fine with me. It going to be an interesting next few weeks regardless of the playoff push. Who between D-Rod, Beede, and Anderson (maybe Menez) solidifies a 2020 sport in the opening day rotation. Second, what does the bullpen look like after Watson, Moranta, Smith and Gott. 

My hope is that Belt gets healthy this off season, starts the year off well next year, and we can ship him at the deadline next year. He's getting old, so not sure how like that is, but at that point, he basically has the same contract as Melancon, which we were just able to trade in its entirety (well, Belt's is 2m more, but you get what I'm saying). Same thing for Crawford. I wish we could have unloaded Shark this year, even if we had eaten some money, given he's only under contract for next year, but maybe we can ship him out to someone as a rental next year. 

For the next two years, we have some brutal contracts for some pretty marginal players and the most money already locked up in the MLB. It'd be really nice to be able to shed some more of those salaries to get us right. 

Shark has been great this year I have no issues with his contract. If the shoulder/pec injury last year is behind him I’m perfectly fine going into 2020 with Bum/Cueto/Shark as the first 3 slots in the rotation. 

2019 isn’t over, I know the schedule is tough but it’s worth taking a shot this year, and to expect we build off of it in 2020 with a healthy Cueto and DickDick. This team has a chance to be competitive for now and the foreseeable future. 

13 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Shark has been great this year I have no issues with his contract. If the shoulder/pec injury last year is behind him I’m perfectly fine going into 2020 with Bum/Cueto/Shark as the first 3 slots in the rotation. 

2019 isn’t over, I know the schedule is tough but it’s worth taking a shot this year, and to expect we build off of it in 2020 with a healthy Cueto and DickDick. This team has a chance to be competitive for now and the foreseeable future. 

Great is probably pushing it. His peripherals are not ideal. His era is under 4 (barely), but his advanced numbers are far less kind, suggesting his era should be about a full run higher than it is (probably helped by the ballpark). He's still giving up a ton of homers, has gotten a little lucky (BABIP is 60 points lower than his career average), his ground ball rate is getting worse, and his hard hit rate is astronomical (41.6% per fangraphs....interestingly, most of our pitchers have weirdly high hard hit rates). He's been slightly above replacement level. Not bad for a #3, but that's a lot of money to pay a number 3. But LIS, next year is the last of his deal, so honestly, he's the least of my concerns. Longoria's contract goes on forever it feels like, Belt / Crawford / Posey / Cueto all have at least 2 more years left on their deals and all have shown significant signs of regression. 

• Like 1

Shark is streaky. The guys mechanics aren't that consistent. He honestly couldn't throw the ball straight if he wanted it to. Some games he can't seem to miss a bat, others he looks untouchable. He's an enigma and a complete wild card. 

I think Sunday is must win for us. The Rockies are struggling right now and we need to smell blood in the water and attack them. 

We have an absolutely brutal schedule starting Monday. Nationals, Phillies, As, diamondbacks, Cubs, As is pretty brutal 

That's why Sunday is important. Need to have momentum and that winning feeling flowing heading into that stretch. Need to keep the magic alive. 

I know it's Colorado but the bats seem like they are waking up. I say let's use vogt in the lineup everyday and then bring in buster as a pitch hitter late in the game on a double switch. We can basically do this with anyone because we are 2 deep at every spot basically. 

It would let us keep buster more fresh and we would be able to call upon him in certain spots when we need a base hit. That's what they did on Saturday and they were able to pitch hit him with two outs two on, down 1 run. 

I think buster needs to adopt a more upright batting stance. He really squats down and I think after all the squatting he does behind the plate his legs are tired. He probably won't but I wonder if he's considered it. 

I posted this in the other thread but thought I should post it here:

My best friend is an Indians fan. He laughed in my face when the niners lost the Superbowl. The very next year was the first year of the 2nd wildcard spot and the Indians subsequently lost the wildcard game at home. It was glorious. That game should have never happened, the Indians should have gotten at least 3 games in a 5 game series. 

That's definitely worse than the way the rule changes have hurt the giants this year, but the fact this is the first year with no waiver trade deadline and the giants are taking a big sh!t in August kinda stings. There are a few guys I bet we could have moved at the waiver deadline. 

Brandon belt for starters. Someone is going to have a first baseman get injured and realize that having a guy with size 14 feet with a ton of length, who can pickem with the best of them is very valuable in the post season. People talk about Crawford and panik and the double plays they turned, belt is a huge part of that for sure. He needs to go somewhere that you can hit homeruns to right field. I mean, he could hit 35 bombs for the Yankees tbh. It's so hard to hit balls into the water with dense sea-level/cold air blowing in and somehow also up at the same time. He is a pull hitter through and through. 

Not to mention will Smith. Trading Smith or bum at the July deadline would have been a cardinal sin for the fanbase and they would have never let Zaidi forget it. If he traded either of them in a few weeks when we are like 7 or 8 games out of the wildcard? No one would bat and eye. Will Smith could bring the right haul to someone with an injury.

Sucks about Panik, but he has been horrific the last couple of years. Arguably the worst second baseman in all of baseball. Can't believe that he's 28 already. Hope he gets another crack with someone and gets it back. 

Last night I'm listening to the game on the radio, it's 6-5 we are winning. It's in between innings when I get home. I park the car, walk inside, grab a beer, sit on the couch, turn the TV on and it's 8-6 we are losing. Wtffff how is that even possible