Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

On 11/1/2019 at 11:53 PM, Forge said:

Sounded like kotsay was the favorite like last week, then that just disappeared. Seems to me like kapler the favorite now. Last I heard it was down to 3-4. Kapler, the dude from Houston, and the dude from the royals. Then I heard some dude from the dodgers was getting a push

Bench coach and former A’s manager Bob Geren interviewed I’ve read.

• Like 1

Gabe Kapler lets see what you can do here my man, I'm strangely optimistic. I like that Zaidi stuck with his guy despite a lot of hate from the general public. I remember how amazing the turnaround the phillies team in 2017 was, when many expected a huge dropoff. Lets see what the rest of this staff turns into. Bonds as a hitting coach? that might be too many supplements for one dugout 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 10:57 PM, nayad said:

Gabe Kapler lets see what you can do here my man, I'm strangely optimistic. I like that Zaidi stuck with his guy despite a lot of hate from the general public. I remember how amazing the turnaround the phillies team in 2017 was, when many expected a huge dropoff. Lets see what the rest of this staff turns into. Bonds as a hitting coach? that might be too many supplements for one dugout 

Turnaround.... what turnaround? We were still under .500 after the All-Star Break.

You guys have my condolences. Kapler isn't the worst manager, but he'll never be enough to take you guys beyond mediocre. And he's tone deaf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:46 PM, N4L said:

Thread title changed needed @Forge

"Giants hire meathead"

Make me feel better forgey 

^^^

We let Pilar go, which was surprising but also makes sense. He is a good player but he's not in the long term plans and it allows Duggar to be our center fielder. 

I heard that ozuna might be on our radar. He's got a QO attached but we have an extra two picks after will Smith and bum and the money shouldn't be too bad 

We need right handed power bats. Would be our everyday left fielder. He wasn't good outside of Miami but maybe he finds his mojo again 

Also, we have no starting pitching lol 

Edited by N4L

21 hours ago, N4L said:

^^^

We let Pilar go, which was surprising but also makes sense. He is a good player but he's not in the long term plans and it allows Duggar to be our center fielder. 

I heard that ozuna might be on our radar. He's got a QO attached but we have an extra two picks after will Smith and bum and the money shouldn't be too bad 

We need right handed power bats. Would be our everyday left fielder. He wasn't good outside of Miami but maybe he finds his mojo again 

Duggar isn't anything special and I'd bet Jaylin Davis is slotted ahead of him if there were a depth chart. I'd rather see Yaz the every day centerfielder and a power bat like Ozuna or Castellanos. Heck maybe both if the deal isn't a lot of years. Bring the Boom. 

I like the starters of Cueto, Shark, Beede, Webb. Theres forsure room for a couple more heading into ST. If we strike out on the young(ish) hitters I want Bum back. I think hes got another solid 5 years easy in him. 

22 hours ago, N4L said:

^^^

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the Pillar thing, but I think that is largely because I"m so used to the way we have done things in the past - always keeping the guys we like on a personal level. 

Assuming Davis / Duggar. Davis shred AAA last year, but his cup of coffee was not exactly ideal. Duggar is a utility outfielder for defense / speed, so meh. I heard that we are in on Castellanos as well, so he'd be another option in the power right handed bats. Good fit. No QO. Defense is probably horrific though. 

Shark and Cueto at the top of the rotation. Cueto looked solid returning last year. Shark is Shark. Meh. I'm assuming that we are going to roll with the young guys. Probably not the worst thing ever. Assuming Logan Webb starts the year with the team. Beede will get a crack. I'm assuming that we will sign a lefty  from somewhere else. 

53 minutes ago, nayad said:

I like the starters of Cueto, Shark, Beede, Webb. Theres forsure room for a couple more heading into ST. If we strike out on the young(ish) hitters I want Bum back. I think hes got another solid 5 years easy in him. 

He probably has 5 years, but there's no upside there and he's probably an okay #3. I just don't want to pay 120+ million for that when we are already running out the string on so many other awful contracts. Crawford, Longoria, Buster, Cueto, Shark, Belt....jesus that's brutal when you put it out there like that LOL

2 hours ago, nayad said:

Duggar isn't anything special and I'd bet Jaylin Davis is slotted ahead of him if there were a depth chart. I'd rather see Yaz the every day centerfielder and a power bat like Ozuna or Castellanos. Heck maybe both if the deal isn't a lot of years. Bring the Boom. 

I've been saying this about bum for 5 years. His release is very easy on his shoulder and his elbow and he's got a huge frame. He also has the mindset needed to pitch until he's 45, so I honestly think he's going to make it another 10 solid years. Shame the freak injuries have happened 

Zaidi always talks about building a team for the park, and since we are not bringing in the fences, I doubt he goes with an all power, no defense outfield. Gotta have 2 CF types. Absolute necessity otherwise RF is a huge hole 

I don't expect us to make any moves initially, but rather wait for someone else to set the market and then go bargain hunting 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

He probably has 5 years, but there's no upside there and he's probably an okay #3. I just don't want to pay 120+ million for that when we are already running out the string on so many other awful contracts. Crawford, Longoria, Buster, Cueto, Shark, Belt....jesus that's brutal when you put it out there like that LOL

Longo had a pretty solid year, I think he's got plenty of juice left. His contract isnt that bad, its basically the same as Mike Moustakas moving forward.  Buster, Craw and Belt are a little rough though so I hope one of the 3 can get dealt in these winter meetings. Speaking of the winter meetings, Baggerly did drop this nugget the other day.