Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Zaidi with two big brain moves today.

Im getting excity with Zaidi?? Its like Rollin with Nolan but with someone who actually is... you know, smart

Gausman deal is whatever. Very Giants move to make. Maybe we can fix him with the park and then flip him. Sometimes these work, sometimes not so much. 

Love the move with the angels, however. Their farm system sucks, but he was a first round pick last year and the number 4 prospect in the system. 

I know that the Angels' farm system is pretty awful all around, but I like seeing that our farm system has become much stronger over the years. We buy Wil Wilson from the Angels, who was their first round pick last year, and he barely cracks our top 10 prospects (#10, per mlb.com). He was #4 for the Angels. Last year, we got Dubon from the Brewers and I believe he was in their top 4, and he's only #8 for us. 

Guys like Chris Shaw, who was legitimately a top 3 prospect for us at one point, I believe, is now no longer even in the top 20. That's some nice work to turn around the system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like if Castellanos was actually signing with SF he would have by now. So I'm starting to doubt that happens. 

I feel a trade a brewing with wither Belt or Crawford though those two both have no trade clauses i believe.

Is Matt Duffy still available? 

On 12/26/2019 at 8:19 AM, nayad said:

I feel like if Castellanos was actually signing with SF he would have by now. So I'm starting to doubt that happens. 

I feel a trade a brewing with wither Belt or Crawford though those two both have no trade clauses i believe.

Is Matt Duffy still available? 

I think that Belt only has a partial no trade clause. I may be wrong on that, but I don't think he has a full go no trade clause. I'm pretty sure that Crawford does though. 

Last I heard, Duffy was still available, but I don't really have any interest. I wasn't his biggest supporter when he was playing for the Giants though either. I do have an interest in Souza though, who we are apparently interested in. 

It's interesting on Castellanos because the reports were that we had made him an offer that other teams didn't love, which would suggest that we gave him a big offer that is unlikely to be matched. So I have to wonder if he really wants to come here and he's hoping for an offer from another team that maybe gets him closer to what we were offering. But I agree, I feel like with the reports the way they were earlier, if he wanted to be here, I think he'd be here by now. 

Souza feels like the right handed version of Dickerson so i could be down, but I still want to see Jaylin Davis get a good look in the outfield too. 

I dont like the infield right now at all and backup catcher is looking real scary. If he has an epic spring is Bart getting look at the show to open 2020?

10 hours ago, Forge said:

It's interesting on Castellanos because the reports were that we had made him an offer that other teams didn't love, which would suggest that we gave him a big offer that is unlikely to be matched. So I have to wonder if he really wants to come here and he's hoping for an offer from another team that maybe gets him closer to what we were offering. But I agree, I feel like with the reports the way they were earlier, if he wanted to be here, I think he'd be here by now. 

I've been saying it the whole time, he isn't gonna sign here. He complained a lot about Comerica park being huge and robbing him of hits and homeruns. No way he signs here unless we grossly overpay, which doesn't seem like what we do 

9 hours ago, nayad said:

Souza feels like the right handed version of Dickerson so i could be down, but I still want to see Jaylin Davis get a good look in the outfield too. 

I dont like the infield right now at all and backup catcher is looking real scary. If he has an epic spring is Bart getting look at the show to open 2020?

Would love Souza. He's the kind of bat we need in the middle of the lineup. 

Bart won't be on the opening day 25 man roster. Service time 

Belt has partial no trade and I bet he would welcome a mid season trade once we start losing a lot (inevitable). Should have traded him 2 years ago 

Crawford grew up a giants fan and wont agree to a trade. He has a full no trade clause. 

We are going to be so bad lol 

35 minutes ago, N4L said:

Would love Souza. He's the kind of bat we need in the middle of the lineup. 

Agree...plus, its a quintessential Giants type signing with the state of the current team. Get him on a one year buy low, prove it deal. If he rakes, we flip him at the deadline for a solid prospect. I mean, if we can do that with the likes of Drew Pomeranz, I imagine we can do it with Souza. Plus, I think he'd be probably close to an every day player for us, and his right handed power should play okay here. 

37 minutes ago, N4L said:

Bart won't be on the opening day 25 man roster. Service time 

@nayad I would agree about Bart not being on the opening day roster for this exact reason that N4L said here. No way we let his service time start right away. If we don't sign anyone, my guess would be Aramis Garcia. He's not going to hit much, but at least there is some power to work with. 

39 minutes ago, N4L said:

Belt has partial no trade and I bet he would welcome a mid season trade once we start losing a lot (inevitable). Should have traded him 2 years ago 

I would think he would too. And he has to hate our ball park. I seriously don't know if there is a player during Belt's active years who has been more handcuffed by his home park than he has. Career OPS+ of 120 really highlights that, though sadly it has gone steadily downhill the last three years. A team like the Brewers could use him, and I do kind of believe that we need to get him out of here. His contract isn't that bad if you think that he can rebound. He's got 2 years at 16 million each left. I mean, that's not awful. The D-Backs just gave that same deal to Kole Calhoun. 

43 minutes ago, N4L said:

Crawford grew up a giants fan and wont agree to a trade. He has a full no trade clause. 

Agree with this as well. Not only that, but unlike belt, who I think could still appeal to some teams (particularly those with a short right porch), I don't think Crawford has much of any appeal to most. His defense is not nearly as good as it used to be, and for a guy that derived most of his value from his defense, that's a killer. He's probably not going to be anything more than a rotational shortstop for us this year; not even the 100% undisputed starter. I think he's probably platooning to a decent degree. 2 years at 15 million each left. 

So in 2 years, we will have Belt's 16 million, Crawford's 15 million, and Posey's 21 million off the books (though we have to pay 5 to get out of the option year for posey). That's a lot of money getting freed up. Cueto will have also come off, so there's another 21 million (5 million buy out), and I think that this is the last year of Shark's deal. That's going to be an exciting time if some of these prospects pan out. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, Forge said:

Man, we have gone completely radio silent this off season. I'm not even hearing any rumors about people we are looking at. 

Minor league deal but it’s something! Lol 

cool that he’s a switch hitter

Bart and Hjelle are opening up with the big boys at the start of camp. I'm really thinking Bart gets the call up earlier than most expect, maybe even by mid April. Yeah I get the service time argument but he only needs to miss the first 2-3 weeks of the season to still give the giants the organization the advantage of having under team control til his age 30 season. The second factor is the new September roster expansion rules that limit a team to only 28 players rather than 40. Its unprecedented to see how teams are going to respond to those new rules, rosters have been expanded to 40 in September since the Great Depression. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, Forge said:

The Dodgers get all the players. 

Yeah and I'd bet they re-sign him too. Rough few days in the sporting world 

I just dont see how they are gonna lose more than like 45 games next year. That lineup is murderers row now. 

Hunter pence is back, which to me was a concession that we know we are gonna suck, so we just brought back a name the casual fan is familiar with. I know he changed his swing and was a lot better in a much more hitter friendly park, but I would have rather not signed him lol I just don't see the point beyond nostalgia 

I just watched a video of some of those epic post season hype speeches, damn that looked so fun.