Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

Just now, CWood21 said:

Doesn't Justin Upton have an opt-out?  I'd imagine there's a really good chance he opts out.

He does. I forgot about that...a trade would certainly require him to not opt out, which he's probably not willing to do.  Good catch.

• 2 weeks later...

Talk is that we are picking up Matt Moore's option next year. It's a good move. He's been brutal this year, but pitched much better in the second half thus far (era nearly 2 full points lower since the all star break, still not great at 4.20, but good enough). His option is only 9 million dollars, so even if he's a competent 4/5, it's probably worth it. 

So I'm thinking that we will see a rotation of Madbum / Cueto / Shark / Moore at the top 4, and then have a group of Blach (really weird, interesting season for him this year), Stratton, and maybe Beede competing for that final spot. 

On offense, I'm not sure what, if any moves we are going to make. 3rd base is still a giant black hole...Arroyo did not appear to be ready this year, and while he may take that step next year, it's not something we can bank on. Ryder JOnes is definitely not ready. The pablo experiment is a disaster, and I can't imagine that we will seriously think about opening the season with him there. So I'm not sure what we are going to do. I am still seeing chatter about possibly grabbing JD Martinez, and we were interested in trading for Justin Upton this year, so I think that maybe we could make a play there. That would likely give us an outfield of one of those two in left, Span in center, Pence in right, both of whom I believe will be in the last years of their deal. I could see us keeping Slater, Parker and Hernandez on the bench as fill ins. 

• 3 weeks later...

So Matt Cain is calling it a career. He's been a train wreck the last couple of years when injuries caught up with him, but he was a class act, and greatly under appreciated in his career. He deserved so much better than finishing his career with a losing record. When he first came up, he couldn't buy two runs of offensive support despite pitching well, and we were awful. Then he was overshadowed by Tiny Tim and Madbum, but in that first world series season, he managed to make it through the entire post season without giving up an earned run. That's pretty impressive. One of 6 pitchers ever to throw a perfect game, start an all star game, and win a world series game. Really, a very good career. Kind of crazy to think that he's only 32 years old. Feel like he's been around for so long.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2017 at 6:15 AM, ninerfanwheelz said:

Well, Cueto opted in. Not surprising but still worries me

Yeah, its not ideal. The funny thing is he's one of the few guys that doesn't have a no trade clause, but that contract is such a grenade that we won't be able to move him. The rotation certainly has some bounce back potential, but it requires bounce backs from multiple guys, which is worrisome. I've never been a huge Matt Moore fan, but he's a better pitcher than he was last year. Madbum's injury was a freak occurrence, so we should have him back all year. Maybe Cueto bounces back, and he's a legit #2. Shark is Shark. He's an overpaid innings eater at this point. The number 5 spot has options with some of the younger guys. Blach has been hit and miss, and Stratton had some nice starts, though he doesn't have a ton of upside, but still, we should find something serviceable out of the 5 spot. 

Still, I don't think next season is going to be much better than this year. The offense is a mess and it's not going to get much better, even if we add Stanton. Pence is toast. Span can still hit a bit, but probably shouldn't be leading off, and he's so bad defensively, he's probably a net loss overall. Belt has had major concussion issues over the years, and he's coming off his worse season. He's not somehow already 30 years old. Crawford is what he is at this point; ..250, 15 hrs, 75 rbi. Same for Panik - .280, 10 hrs, 30 doubles (if he's healthy all year), minimal strike outs. Third base is a black hole. The bench is abysmal. The two known outfielders in Span and Pence aren't very good, and the third outfielder is just a nightmare and we don't even know who it'll be yet. Defensive outfield is awful as well. 

• 1 month later...

We just traded for Cutch which puts us right at the luxury tax, so seems unlikely that we will make any other moves without shedding salary somewhere. We still need a defensive center fielder; we maybe have to roll with Gorkys and Duggar there. I suppose Jon Jay and Dyson are still options though if we can figure out how to make the money work. 

Still, on paper, the team looks good, but there's a lot of age there and I can't imagine that we don't see some major regression out of a few players. Also, I have no idea what to do with the lineup. Do we have the guts to bat Posey leadoff? He has no speed, but he's the best we have at getting on base, his SLG is still pretty good, but his home run power has been completely sapped. I mean, the only other reasonable person we can put there would maybe be Panik? But I wouldn't want to bat Posey in the two hole because of the GIDP likelihood. So if we have Duggar and Gorkys patrolling CF, there's no way that we can bat them leadoff as they would each be the 8 hole hitter.

So...

Posey / Panik / Cutch / Longoria / Belt / Pence / Crawford / Gorkys? 

Rotation 

Madbum / Cueto / Shark / Stratton / Blach? 

10 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Got 2.5 mil back from the Pirates. Not sure if that's enough for a CF though

Yeah, I think that we would have to dump someone for nothing. I could see us just unloading some bullpen arm for a player to be named type. Gearrin is 31 and costs nearly 2 million and is coming off his best year...could be him. The back of the rotation is still a nightmare as well, and that's assuming that Shark and Cueto are even decent. 

That 2.5 million would be enough if we got someone who was under team control through a trade. Keon Broxton is only 500K this upcoming season. Don't know how we afford that in trade though. 

On 1/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, ninerfanwheelz said:

Got 2.5 mil back from the Pirates. Not sure if that's enough for a CF though

Evans was on KNBR today and was adamant that if the season began today Steven Duggar would be penciled in starting in CF. It was very interesting but a defender that good sounds like the right move to me. I still think Slater is worth at least platooning in right with Pence. I want to see us bring in a long reliever/possible #5 starter if anything now. After losing Crick and Moore I feel like there could be an addition there. Maybe a Travis Wood or Edinson Volquez 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:50 PM, 48 1/2ers said:

Evans was on KNBR today and was adamant that if the season began today Steven Duggar would be penciled in starting in CF. It was very interesting but a defender that good sounds like the right move to me. I still think Slater is worth at least platooning in right with Pence. I want to see us bring in a long reliever/possible #5 starter if anything now. After losing Crick and Moore I feel like there could be an addition there. Maybe a Travis Wood or Edinson Volquez 

I could get behind that. Duggar in center is fine for me because his role is defense and anything in addition to that is gravy. The offense (should be) fine in the way it's set now...still not sure how the lineup sets, but I would hope that Panik / Posey / Belt / Pence / Cutch / Longoria / Crawford would not have issues scoring runs...that's 7 pretty good hitters overall, we can afford to use a lineup spot on a guy strictly there for defense. 

Agree that I would love an addition to the back end of the rotation / long reliever. Not all about Stratton and Blach. Blach is largely a platoon starting pitcher against lefty heavy teams and teams that struggle to hit lefties in general (Dodgers in most recent years). Stratton pitched pretty well last year, but he doesn't really have superior stuff, so I'm not sure how much I trust him. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I could get behind that. Duggar in center is fine for me because his role is defense and anything in addition to that is gravy. The offense (should be) fine in the way it's set now...still not sure how the lineup sets, but I would hope that Panik / Posey / Belt / Pence / Cutch / Longoria / Crawford would not have issues scoring runs...that's 7 pretty good hitters overall, we can afford to use a lineup spot on a guy strictly there for defense. 

Agree that I would love an addition to the back end of the rotation / long reliever. Not all about Stratton and Blach. Blach is largely a platoon starting pitcher against lefty heavy teams and teams that struggle to hit lefties in general (Dodgers in most recent years). Stratton pitched pretty well last year, but he doesn't really have superior stuff, so I'm not sure how much I trust him. 

Blach is my guy, he's really good against lefties like you said. Who knows maybe a Curt Young the new pitching coach will have an impact on one of these back end starters Beede, Stratton, Blach, Gregorio. 

Just now, ninerfanwheelz said:

Austin Jackson costs $3 mil. Imagine you are right Forge and someone from the 'pen gets moved to offset that $500k

I also wouldn't be surprised if they structured it in a weird way where maybe he only gets like 1.5 this year, and 4.5 next year. He's got some escalators in there as well. 

• 4 weeks later...