Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

We can hit now though? If only we had any starting pitching lol

Austin has been a nifty little find. Not bad so far. 

But yeah, that starting pitching...oof. I was so hopeful for Beede after his spring, and he's still a disaster. Not super shocked by Rodriguez's struggles....he's never had elite stuff or anything. Holland too. Pomeranz has been hit or miss, but he was a one year rental with the idea of trading at the deadline, I'm pretty sure. 

The bullpen has been pretty lockdown though, so that's nice. 

I would expect the hitting to regress from what we have been doing lately though. I mean, Colorado and that bandbox in Cincy can do wonders for your bats. 

On 5/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, Forge said:

We totally should have went the openers route this year lol. Our bullpen has been phenomenal. Our starters are mediocre or terrible. Bum is basically the only starter we have at a "meh" level

A friend of mine said that zaidi is running this team like a fantasy football owner who is not happy with his team. He is tinkering and picking guys off the scrap heap for a few days and then releasing them back into the wild. LOL

I agree with the openers. At least it would be interesting. Remember when the Rockies did that whole 2 starting pitchers thing? 75 pitches and you're out of the game. 

With the way it's been, trade bum and get it over with. Eat a ton of money and trade belt. Eat a ton of money and trade melancon, eat a bunch of money and trade Longoria. Make sure you get someone legit for will Smith. 

Could be back to in the playoff hunt in 2-3 years with the right trades. Otherwise this is a full, 5 year down to the studs rebuild. 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:36 AM, N4L said:

A friend of mine said that zaidi is running this team like a fantasy football owner who is not happy with his team. He is tinkering and picking guys off the scrap heap for a few days and then releasing them back into the wild. LOL

I agree with the openers. At least it would be interesting. Remember when the Rockies did that whole 2 starting pitchers thing? 75 pitches and you're out of the game. 

With the way it's been, trade bum and get it over with. Eat a ton of money and trade belt. Eat a ton of money and trade melancon, eat a bunch of money and trade Longoria. Make sure you get someone legit for will Smith. 

Could be back to in the playoff hunt in 2-3 years with the right trades. Otherwise this is a full, 5 year down to the studs rebuild. 

Yeah, it sucks that this team has been so hesitant to go fill rebuild in prior years, because now they are going to be forced into it. The contracts are brutal because of the length and corresponding age. 

Hopefully Crawford puts something together with the stick. He's trending south in a hurry.  Belt had always been one of the most streaky hitters I've ever seen, so hoping he gets hot at some point. He's a legit solid player, particularly when he isn't going to be in the worst home park imaginable for him.  the contract isn't awful, but too long. 

We need to hit the reliever deals out of the ballpark. They can yield amazing returns sometimes. 

Meanwhile, Bryan Reynolds, whom we traded for cutch, made the pirates and is batting .300+. Such bad decisions the last few years. Longo, cutch, Matt Moore. Oof. Cuetos deal was always going to be a disaster unless he took the opt out. We had really bad timing getting aggressive in free agency before the bottom feely out of the market. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, Forge said:

We are so very bad. 

Starting pitching, defense, offense. It's all awful. Just let the trades begin. We should get a really nice return on will Smith and a couple of the bullpen guys

We looked great over the weekend against Baltimore lol. Must be so depressing to be the other terrible orange team in the league but instead of the dodgers in your division you have the rays, redsox, yankees in your division. 

Don't look now but we've won 3 in a row and are only 9 games below 500 lol 

Bum looked pretty ok tonight. I really don't think we get what we want for him, especially considering the no trade list he put out there. 

Crawford might be toast. Showing a little signs of life the last few days but he is a liability at the plate. I just don't see it getting any better. 

It's a shame we don't have any prospects worth bringing up either.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:17 AM, N4L said:

Don't look now but we've won 3 in a row and are only 9 games below 500 lol 

Bum looked pretty ok tonight. I really don't think we get what we want for him, especially considering the no trade list he put out there. 

Crawford might be toast. Showing a little signs of life the last few days but he is a liability at the plate. I just don't see it getting any better. 

It's a shame we don't have any prospects worth bringing up either.

Bum had another solid showing today, but agree that we won't get the return we want. I actually think we will get more from the bullpen arms. Watson and Smith should yield very nice returns, particularly from a team like Atlanta. 

And yeah, Crawford is cooked. Belt is showing a little more. If we eat salary some, he should be able to be moved honestly. He's really not a bad player at all. 

We need to build that farm system. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/trio-giants-prospects-listed-baseball-prospectus-midseason-top-50?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Thus gets my juices flowing a little bit. Luciano sounds niccceee

I think we need to acquire assets with yeild to maturity dates in 4 years. Let's buy low on a ton of high upside guys who are like 17 18 in other farm systems and then suck for another year or two and get some more top 5 picks. Let's build this thing right 

I heard on the radio today we have some 6'11" rhp who is apparently very polished. Supposedly has a consistent release and touches 94. He has an insane K/BB ratio. 

I love tall pitchers just because of the angle the ball reaches the plate. The As have some kid that looks exactly like Randy Johnson that I saw in spring training. He had a similar release if irc

1 hour ago, N4L said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/trio-giants-prospects-listed-baseball-prospectus-midseason-top-50?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Thus gets my juices flowing a little bit. Luciano sounds niccceee

I think we need to acquire assets with yeild to maturity dates in 4 years. Let's buy low on a ton of high upside guys who are like 17 18 in other farm systems and then suck for another year or two and get some more top 5 picks. Let's build this thing right 

I heard on the radio today we have some 6'11" rhp who is apparently very polished. Supposedly has a consistent release and touches 94. He has an insane K/BB ratio. 

I love tall pitchers just because of the angle the ball reaches the plate. The As have some kid that looks exactly like Randy Johnson that I saw in spring training. He had a similar release if irc

Those three in particular have been pretty strong. Luciano has crushed the ball. I can't remember the last time we got something positive out of an international signing (would have been Fox, but we traded him). I may be serious when I say I think it was Pablo (that was 2003, FWIW). 

I really wish we hadn't traded Bryan Reynolds away for half a season of Cutch (not to mention Crick, who we developed for years upon year only to trade him once we found out he was a solid bullpen guy) only to get complete crap from the Yanks (De Paula has already been traded in the Pillar package and Avelino looks like he's not really more than maybe a role player in the majors, and that's if he's not a AAAA player altogether). 

Anderson looks like he could have some promise given what he has done with the big club this year, and I don't know what we are doing with Chris Shaw....looking like he's a minor league career guy at this point. A lot of guys have really fallen off, and Shaw was a big one of those (barely rated in the top 10 of our top prospects any more by a lot of people, and he got demoted to AA to start the year this year before recently getting the call back up to AAA). Jalen Miller has regressed and doesn't look like he really has a future any more. 

I am intrigued by Jacob Heyward, but until he learns ot make contact, no hope of him making a real dent on a major league roster (dude seriously strikes out once in every less than three at bats...simply horrific). I really like Aramas Garcia's bat, particularly at catcher. I know that we keep bringing in vets to fill in for Posey, but eventually we should probably give the kid a chance. He's got some nice pop, though he's much older at this point. 

What is nice though is that now we have some actual youth in our farm system. there are still some guys that are far too old to be considered "prospects" any more (Garcia, Shaw, Quinn), but they really aren't sitting at the top of the prospect list. We have a few guys out of college in their early 20s (Bart, for example is 22), but looking at our prospect pools, you've got guys like Ramos at the top (19 and hitting very well right now), Luciano (I think he's only 17?), Santos (19), Toribio (18, hitting well thus far in rookie ball), Canario (super, super raw, but only 19. Crushed rookie ball, really struggling in short though), and Pomares (18, crushing rookie ball thus far). They are all years away of course, and we will be lucky to have more than 1 really pan out, but man, it's just nice to see that. Your farm system is bleak when your best prospects are all 24 / 25 years old. We still have those guys, of course, but it's nice to see them relegated to the middle and back end tiers of our top prospects. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 7:23 PM, Forge said:

Not sure exactly what Austin Slater is at the next level, but he's hitting incredibly well since coming back and he's always had a modicum of success every time he's called up

rough day yesterday for him, but he has the flu and shouldn't be playing. He looks like a really solid bench player. hes reliable. You know what you are getting from him everyday