Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

4 hours ago, N4L said:

It really shouldn't be though. He should know by now if we are going to sell or not. 

I really think we should deal dyson at an absolute minimum. I would probably still deal will smith and tell Melancon to go earn that 67 million or whatever. my god, that was a terrible signing.

It has been a nice ride so far, but honestly I think tonight is the beginning of the end of it. I think we lose tonight like 10-3 or something like that. 

Welp lol

Though honestly, if we keep this up, don't mind selling Smith and keeping the rest. I think we could still compete and get a decent prospect. Madbum we would just QO anyway, so at least that gets us a first round pick

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Welp lol

Though honestly, if we keep this up, don't mind selling Smith and keeping the rest. I think we could still compete and get a decent prospect. Madbum we would just QO anyway, so at least that gets us a first round pick

I'm just glad I don't have to listen to papashogun b**** and moan about how these wins are costing us players or whatever lol 

I would deal will Smith. He's the only guy who will be a FA outside of Bum, who honestly might even re-sign here and I would be cool with it. He's gonna pitch well for a long time

8 hours ago, Forge said:

We are talking to the rays about relievers. 

yeah, saw you speculate it was dyson. I kind of had a feeling last night they put him in the 9th to showcase him a little bit. Would make sense. 

I see they are talking about acquiring an infielder. Im like, ok? I would rather get some young prospects tbh

24 minutes ago, N4L said:

yeah, saw you speculate it was dyson. I kind of had a feeling last night they put him in the 9th to showcase him a little bit. Would make sense. 

I see they are talking about acquiring an infielder. Im like, ok? I would rather get some young prospects tbh

I think Dyson makes the most amount of sense. Has one more year of team control, makes peanuts. Just seems to fit in more with what the Rays typically do. He's also pitched very well this year. I suppose it wouldn't be out of the question that they push all in for someone like Smith, just doesn't seem like their style. 

As for the infielder - well, bottom line is Panik is completely brutal. One of the worst second basemen in baseball the last couple of years, so I get the impetus for trying to replace him. Excellent contact guy, but he's almost strictly an batting average type hitter, and when that average isn't there, as it hasn't been for years now, he's basically a black hole at the plate. I think we are pretty happy with what we have in the low minors right now, so I think we are going to target high minors and guys who are ready for at least a shot at the bigs, and middle infield would make a ton of sense for us to target with Panik being just bad, Crawford regressing, and having little to nothing in the higher minors that can take over (Avelino has had his shots...hasn't worked). That's why I think any deal with the Brewers will almost assuredly feature Dubon coming back. He's the perfect compliment for both Panik and Crawford on the right side of the plate, plays second, short and outfield, and we know how we love our versatility. 

Triples alley giveth, triples alley taketh away. Vogt would have had a walk off in just about every other park out there. 

Intentionally walking belt to get to buster posey is not going to work out well for them lol 

Just now, N4L said:

Triples alley giveth, triples alley taketh away. Vogt would have had a walk off in just about every other park out there. 

Intentionally walking belt to get to buster posey is not going to work out well for them lol 

Buster drilled in the knee. oof

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

Sadly, buster isn't much of a hitter anymore. He's become Joe Mauer without the batting average. It's sad to watch a lot of times

Just now, Forge said:

Sadly, buster isn't much of a hitter anymore. He's become Joe Mauer without the batting average. It's sad to watch a lot of times

No doubt, but I just had a feeling he was going to come through in that spot. I mean, guys take it personally when you intentionally walk the guy in front of them. 

It also had everything to do with walking belt. I get it that maddon wanted a righty, but belt is pretty 'meh' for lack of better words right now

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

No doubt, but I just had a feeling he was going to come through in that spot. I mean, guys take it personally when you intentionally walk the guy in front of them. 

It also had everything to do with walking belt. I get it that maddon wanted a righty, but belt is pretty 'meh' for lack of better words right now

Yeah, all the old guard have been pretty bad this year with the stick. Belt still walks quite a bit, but now he's horrendously slow (he used to be a little faster...I think he's got a bulky knee or something). Buster has like no power any more. Kind of sad to see him go out like this - he should have been a hall of famer. Don't think that he'll get there now without some big seasons in his future, and that doesn't appear to be likely. Crawford has never had a "great" bat, but it was competent. Even he backslid this year. We've generally just  been riding whomever got hot for a week at a time lol

• Like 1

Seriously though - it's things like that which leads me to believe that even if we don't sell of Madbum, we should still sell the relievers we can. I have this weird feeling that we can still be somewhat competitive and have a similarly strong bullpen even without the likes of Smith and Watson and Dyson. 

I know that's a ton to take out of your roster, and I know it wouldn't be easy...but I really feel like we could do it. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Seriously though - it's things like that which leads me to believe that even if we don't sell of Madbum, we should still sell the relievers we can. I have this weird feeling that we can still be somewhat competitive and have a similarly strong bullpen even without the likes of Smith and Watson and Dyson. 

I know that's a ton to take out of your roster, and I know it wouldn't be easy...but I really feel like we could do it. 

I am 100% with you. Watson and Smith especially. Smith should fetch a pretty penny

would be nice middle ground

Edited by N4L

sometimes I get so freaking mad at brandon belt. THERE IS NO ONE DOWN THE THIRD BASE LINE, #$%#ING BUNT IT YOU BASTARD

He has terrible hands and cannot hit the high pitch to save his freaking life. His swing looks like a drunk guy trying to chop down a tree. 

Edited by N4L