Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

I think Span has to go somehow, his offensive metrics are actually pretty solid for a 33 year old outfielder. He's a good 4th-5th outfielder for a team just not an everyday guy, maybe just needs to be moved to a corner spot idono. Pence would be nice to move too but far more unlikely I think we'll have to ride that one out, but I can live with that. Gorkys is weird, he's been amazing the last few months. And defensively he's looked really good I think he's the frontrunner to start at CF next year. With Pence in Right and Slater in Left, but maybe switching those two eventually. Shaw I dont see on the opening day roster yet I hope we can snag a good free agent like JD Martinez  or Eric Hosmer even though we probably cant givin we already have the highest payroll in baseball already. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think Span has to go somehow, his offensive metrics are actually pretty solid for a 33 year old outfielder. He's a good 4th-5th outfielder for a team just not an everyday guy, maybe just needs to be moved to a corner spot idono. Pence would be nice to move too but far more unlikely I think we'll have to ride that one out, but I can live with that. Gorkys is weird, he's been amazing the last few months. And defensively he's looked really good I think he's the frontrunner to start at CF next year. With Pence in Right and Slater in Left, but maybe switching those two eventually. Shaw I dont see on the opening day roster yet I hope we can snag a good free agent like JD Martinez  or Eric Hosmer even though we probably cant givin we already have the highest payroll in baseball already. 

The problem is as you said, we really don't have any money to pay a big free agent. The money coming off the books like Cain Is eaten up by raises. We'd have to shed salary in trades. 

I agree that Martinez makes a lot of sense. We need right handed power in the worst way. And he slots in nicely at left. I think Moustakas makes more sense than hosmer. Hosmer is very similar to belt, but a more consistent average. Moustakas fills the gaping hole at third.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

We waived Kontos and he was claimed by the pirates. Interesting move. He's been a disaster for the last few months, but has been extremely consistent throughout his career, so this is an interesting move. 

Yeah, kinda bummed about this. Always liked him

As for the discussion above, I don't think we'll really be able to do anything in free agency. Guys like Arroyo, Slater, and Shaw will have to step up. I wonder what we'll get from Beede next year, too. Can't imagine he won't be given every shot to start the year in the rotation.

19 hours ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Yeah, kinda bummed about this. Always liked him

As for the discussion above, I don't think we'll really be able to do anything in free agency. Guys like Arroyo, Slater, and Shaw will have to step up. I wonder what we'll get from Beede next year, too. Can't imagine he won't be given every shot to start the year in the rotation.

I feel like Beede starts the year in AAA. I think the rotation will be MadBum, Cueto, Moore, Shark and Blach. Unless of course, we trade someone in the off season or by some miracle, Cueto opts out. Beede will be the guy in the AAA who will get the first call up along with someone like Gregorio or Suarez. 

Jarrett Parker is working himself into the Starting LF conversation. I never knew how good he was defensively, really well rounded out there with range and a rocket. Hitting bombs to deep center field is a nice sign too. Parker, Gorkys, Slater starting with Pence platooning. 

4 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Jarrett Parker is working himself into the Starting LF conversation. I never knew how good he was defensively, really well rounded out there with range and a rocket. Hitting bombs to deep center field is a nice sign too. Parker, Gorkys, Slater starting with Pence platooning. 

Luck is Goat was saying this 2 years ago after parker had that nice little run after getting called up. Still not buying it. It's a couple of nice games, nothing else. Parker still has too many holes in his swing and strikes out way too much. He'll also be 29 already next year. He's also largely a negative in the defensive runs saved department and defensive war, so I'm not sure where you're getting that he's all that good defensively . He's an okay  piece to have on the roster, but at best, he's a platoon guy. You can platoon he and Slater in left, Span in center (right now), Pence in right. If Shaw shows up in spring training, I'd replace Parker with him (since shaw has added defensive versatility)

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Luck is Goat was saying this 2 years ago after parker had that nice little run after getting called up. Still not buying it. It's a couple of nice games, nothing else. Parker still has too many holes in his swing and strikes out way too much. He'll also be 29 already next year. He's also largely a negative in the defensive runs saved department and defensive war, so I'm not sure where you're getting that he's all that good defensively . He's an okay  piece to have on the roster, but at best, he's a platoon guy. You can platoon he and Slater in left, Span in center (right now), Pence in right. If Shaw shows up in spring training, I'd replace Parker with him (since shaw has added defensive versatility)

Have you watched the last few games? You can see he covers ground and is capable of making plays no outfielder on our team can make. 

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Have you watched the last few games? You can see he covers ground and is capable of making plays no outfielder on our team can make. 

That doesn't make him a good defender, it just  makes him the tallest dwarf so to speak - our outfield defense is atrocious lol. Against the league, he's not seen as an average defender, though he's just barely into the negative. Should be noted though that his metrics are far superior in left field, where he's viewed as a positive (he's really bad in right, however). Historically, he's split time between the two almost evenly, so if you're going to has him in there, hes got to play only left field. 

Edited by Forge

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/16/when-life-throws-a-curve-giants-brandon-crawford-tries-to-make-sense-of-his-disheartening-season/

Really interesting article on Crawford here. It makes me feel better that there is likely to be some turn around just based on a luck factor (his bapip is about 40 points below the average), but it's disheartening to see how badly he's doing against breaking pitches and that he's starting to slow down on the base paths. 

Really interesting that even with Melancon back and healthy, we have continued to utilize Dyson in the closer role. 

Also, Ty Blach's season hsa been insane. When he's on and good, he's usually really good. When he's bad, dear god, he's bad. 

Heyman is now reporting that there is no way that Cueto opts out of his contract now after this season. Ugh. That's a complete disaster on that contract. It's Zito part two...only longer. 

On the bright side, Matt Moore has pitched very well in his last few outings. Hopefully, whatever derailed his season for the first 60% of the year is behind him now. 

Cueto basically confirmed that he won't opt out. 

Interesting that there has been scuttle that we are interested in trading for Justin Upton this off season. Makes a lot of sense (and I feel that we have been tied to him multiple times over the years), but I'm not keen on giving up prospects for him. If we have that kind of money to spend, I'd make a run at JD Martinez. At least then we don't have to give up the prospects. There was also talk that we are interested in Stanton, but I see no way in which we can make that work. We just don't have the prospects, and that contract is so massive. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Interesting that there has been scuttle that we are interested in trading for Justin Upton this off season. Makes a lot of sense (and I feel that we have been tied to him multiple times over the years), but I'm not keen on giving up prospects for him. If we have that kind of money to spend, I'd make a run at JD Martinez. At least then we don't have to give up the prospects. There was also talk that we are interested in Stanton, but I see no way in which we can make that work. We just don't have the prospects, and that contract is so massive. 

Doesn't Justin Upton have an opt-out?  I'd imagine there's a really good chance he opts out.