Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

Mac Williamson having a really nice spring so far. Apparently he re-worked his swing in the off season. So far, he's looking pretty good. Needs to have a bit more patience and take some walks, but he's hitting the ball hard. .429 / .429 / .952 slash with 12 rbi. Jarrett Parker appears done with the Giants unless he passes through waivers. Dont' think he has any options left, and he's been absolutely brutal with the strikeouts so far. He's already 29, so there's no reason to hold on to him at this point, particularly with the way that Duggar (.412 / .474 this spring) and Shaw (.368 / .400 / .684) have been hitting this spring, along with the aforementioned Williamson. 

Seems like half of our vets are already dealing with some bumps and bruises. 

Can we dump Brandon belt already? They guy has terrible hands at the plate and swings like he is trying to chop down a tree. I'd rather put bum at first base on days he doesn't pitch lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chris Stratton has been pretty okay so far this year. Cueto has been dealing. Bullpen is still a mess. Offense is pretty hit and miss. Belt is being belt (stretches of awesomeness, stretches of incompetence...he's one of hte most consistently hot and cold players I have ever seen). Mac Williamson still looks pretty good. 3 home runs now, all of them have been absolutely crushed to center / right, which is a great sign. He's never going to hit for a high average, but he's got 30hr potential...I don't think we should be giving that job back to Pence when he comes back. He needs to be in a reserve role. 

Hopefully Crawford starts to hit. I never saw him as a .275 guy, but he's been pretty consistent around that .250 mark, and he's below the Mendoza line right now. Cutch and Longoria need to be a little more consistent. They have yet to really get going. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 10:05 AM, Forge said:

Hopefully Crawford starts to hit. I never saw him as a .275 guy, but he's been pretty consistent around that .250 mark, and he's below the Mendoza line right now. Cutch and Longoria need to be a little more consistent. They have yet to really get going. 

Crawford is batting above .300 now! The guy has been on FIRE since you posted this. The giants are a streaky team, seems like we are about to get HOT. 

Mad bum is going to make a rehab start on Saturday in Sacramento.. hopefully that means he's back first week of June. 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:05 PM, N4L said:

Crawford is batting above .300 now! The guy has been on FIRE since you posted this. The giants are a streaky team, seems like we are about to get HOT. 

Mad bum is going to make a rehab start on Saturday in Sacramento.. hopefully that means he's back first week of June. 

Yeah, he really has been. I don't expect it to continue, just the same as I didn't expect him to continue to hit sub .200. He's largely been the same guy at the plate now for 5 years, so I don't see any reason for that to change. Belt is having a really nice season so far. Our best offensive player for 2018 so far. He's been notoriously streaky throughout his career, so we will see how long he keeps it up, but he looks good so far. 

Also, what in the world happened to Buster Posey's power? It just doesn't exist any more. I don't know where you bat him any more because of that. We had him in the 2-hole recently, and that's probably the best spot for him at this point in time (good contact still, high average), though we are going to have to utilize a lot of hit and runs with him to avoid double plays. When Panik gets back, I'd consider still putting him in the leadoff spot with Buster hitting second. The offense has performed pretty well since that early season ugliness all things considered. We aren't going to be confused for Boston or anything, but it's certainly not terrible.  

Our starting pitching is pretty bad at this point though. Not sure there's any fixing that without MadBum and Cueto both getting back, and I feel like it's pretty unlikely for Cueto. I think we are just delaying the inevitable. He's getting TJ at some point, I think. The bullpen has held up surprisingly well so far this year, which is nice. Good to see Will Smith pitching like he did a few years ago for the Brewers, though I'm curious how he would do in high leverage situations. It's not something that he has done overly well in his career, and if he really is going to be a our new Jeremy Affeldt (which I think was the idea in getting him - a lefty with no significant splits from either side of the plate), he needs to get better in higher leverage. That was the key to Affeldt. 

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to find out a lot about the team over the next month of the season or so. We are 72 games in, and 40 of them were played on the road, which is a pretty brutal stretch to be honest. 20 of our next 26 are at home, so this will be the time if we are going to be competitive this year. This will take us quite easily up to the trade deadline. If we flounder during this home stretch, we really need to see about making moves. The problem is, we seem so reticent to trade home grown players. I can't remember the last time we did it. Sure, we have moved off some rental players in the past, but truly home grown players? I just don't remember us making those moves.

Brandon Crawford and Brandon Belt should be guys we look to move. Both are enjoying their best seasons (though Belt once again missed time), but they are both over 30, have contracts that take them to their mid 30's. Neither contract is particularly brutal though - 15 and 16 million is a really good price for each even if they run longer than desired. I think both of those guys could yield nice returns. There's no chance we move off Posey (who again, continues to not really do a whole bunch; I've never seen a guy with such talent just completely lack counting stats year in and year out), and almost none we move MadBum. But Belt and Crawford could get decent returns, make us younger, free up some much needed money, and start pushing us into the next phase. I don't know who we would replace Crawford with at this point. We really don't have a competent up and coming short stop or backup for the position. First base is less of a concern - Shaw should get his chance sooner or later, Posey can play first, as can Pablo. Picking up a couple of top 100 prospects, however, would be a great step moving forward, particularly if they are not far off from competing. 

Other than that, we have some bullpen arms that can easily be moved. Will Smith and Tony Watson are both pitching well this year, and a team like Cleveland or Atlanta could certainly use the help. Maybe look at moving Nick Hundley as well. He's had a pretty heavy bat this year, which is nice, and has been largely a part time player. Wouldn't get a huge return as a pure rental of a mediocre player, but there's no reason to really keep him around either if we aren't going for it this year. 

we start the homestand by blowing a two run lead to the Marlins in the ninth. Lulz. This on the heels of blowing eight, I repeat eight, leads to them last week in a four game series, and have now lost four of five to the second worst team in the national league

• 2 weeks later...

Huge sweep of Arizona to climb back in the race. Only 2.5 back about halfway through the season, and slowly but surely, the team is getting healthy. 

Don't think that we will do much one way or the other at the deadline. 

Crawford and Belt continue to rake. Crawford is particularly surprising. He has never shown this level of aptitude at the plate. Austin Slater deserves more reps in the outfield, and Hernandez has been pretty much a godsend with the way he has played. 

The pitching is interesting. Suarez and Rodriguez have been very good in their limited starts. With Cueto and Shark coming back, I'm curious to see who we bump to the pen and the minors. one has to be Stratton. The other two guys have simply out pitched him, and I believe that he has history in the bullpen, so may be nice to move him to the pen, kick Pierce Johnson down to the minors as he has been pretty brutal in relief. I'm not sure which of the other guys we take out. There was talk of Shark actually going to the bullpen, potentially as a closer, but that seems like a really bad idea given that the inning he struggles in the most is the first inning he usually pitches in. Do you bounce Holland instead of one of the younger guys? I don't think that you can do that. If I had to guess, I'd say that Holland and Suarez stick, Rodriguez gets optioned, and Stratton gets the pen. 

• 2 weeks later...