Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

New forum, new thread. Second half underway, largely the same as the first half and last years second half. 

I think the trade deadline is going to be a bust. I don't think we are going to move anyone of real consequence. Nunez for sure. The rays are looking at Strickland. But after that? Maybe Kontos. The Stros are doing research on Shark. No way Cueto is going. Belt i have to imagine is sticking around. Melancon too. I don't think we do anything super major or earth shattering

Not a bad return on Nunez. Didn't expect much given his pure rental status, but it's about the value I had projected. I had us getting their Rondiel, who is rated slightly higher than Anderson, but the difference between them is probably comparable to a lotto ticket prospect. 

I don't think that we are going to do much at the deadline. Shark submitted a list of 8 teams he'd go to, and the only one that is a viable option to trade with is the Nats. So it's them or bust, I think. The Rays have acquired two relievers, so they may be out on Strickland, the Nats grabbed bullpen help earlier, and the Rockies already made a deal as well. Hopefully though I think we should still be able to find homes for him and Kontos if we want to move them. With Dyson pitching very well, and Crick actually looking like he could stick as a reliever, I think it's okay to move them even though they both have some years of team control left. 

I find it very unlikely we move anyone else. There's going to be 0 interest in Cueto, I Think, and with Shark limited on where we can send him, unlikely he is moved. I think we should be trying to make a move with Span - he's hitting okay and has one more year left at a very reasonable price. Pence has a NTC, so he's not going anywhere, and I doubt that there is going to be serious interest in Belt, so unlikely he moves. 

On 7/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, Forge said:

Tyler Beede out for the rest of the year, so doesn't look like we will be seeing him come sept

Just found this out, pretty bummed about this honestly. Joan Gregorio another pitcher was suspended last month in the middle of a great season where I thought he'd come up too.  It is what it is I guess who else do you wanna see called up?

I'm thinking Suarez, Tyler Rogers, and this other reliever D.J Snelten for pitchers and healthy Slater, Arroyo, and Ryder Jones again for the position players.

Really disappointed that we couldn't get anything done by the waiver deadline. Doesn't mean we won't make a move later on (most of these guys are going to pass through waivers without issue), and I know it's not a FO thing - Shark basically vetoed any reasonable trade partner outside of Washington or the Yanks (who acquired Gray), and Strickland and Span evidently attracted no interest on the market. Kontos has completely collapsed in the second half, so any interest he would have had went away I'm sure.  Just goes to show the place that we are in right now. We couldn't even move bullpen pieces, and everyone needs bullpen help. Apparently we did talk with the Angels about Panik, but it went nowhere fast, so clearly we are willing to listen to offers on him. 

Just DFA Gilaspie. Guessing that means a Panda call up is coming. 

Also, somewhat good new on Cueto; just a forearm strain so far is all that's being reported. Typically, I'd just recommend shutting him down for the rest of the year, but we can't really afford that. If we do that, he's going to opt in for sure. We have to give him a chance to put together some good starts and maybe entice him to back out of the deal. 

I'm bummed about Gilaspie but it was a good move. Bochy was saying Stratton is going to get the start Saturday and Cain is moving to the pen. Pablo should be up soon I have high hopes. All i'm hoping for is a Cueto opt out but I dont think theres any hope. 

As far as the deadline we just didn't have much to offer. Nunez was one of the best hitters traded and we got a decent haul, after that there weren't many teams that unloaded. There's probably more names we hear through this month for the Waiver deadline. This summer is likely going to be very active with Pence, Span, maybe Belt, Shark. 

I got a question, where does Gorkys fit in at next year? and overall what does our outfield look like in 2018?

12 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

As far as the deadline we just didn't have much to offer. Nunez was one of the best hitters traded and we got a decent haul, after that there weren't many teams that unloaded. There's probably more names we hear through this month for the Waiver deadline. This summer is likely going to be very active with Pence, Span, maybe Belt, Shark. 

I got a question, where does Gorkys fit in at next year? and overall what does our outfield look like in 2018?

We did okay for Nunez, about as well as could be hoped for a pure rental. I'm still hopeful that maybe we resign him next year to come back. Unfortuantely, I don't think that there's much that we can do this offseason, which is one of the things that worries me given how bad we have been the last year and a half. 

I think outfield is largely unchanged next year to be perfectly honest. I don't think that there's a bevy of deals that are going to be made during the offseason. Pence has a full no trade clause and is on the last year of his deal and has struggled with health and performance while making 18.5 million. I forget where I Read it, but someone said the only way he'd waive the NTC was for a texas team - with the Rangers rebuilding, that's not a fit, and the Stros just don't need him. I'm pretty sure he'll be back. Span was available at the deadline, but there was no interest in him according to reports. He's one of the worst defensive outfielders in baseball, which basically negates any minor positive he has with the stick, which isn't great. His contract isn't prohibitive, but I just don't think that there's going to be a ton of interest there. 

So that leaves the final outfield spot, which I assume we will give Slater and Shaw first crack at. Shaw saw some time in the outfield in the minors, and he can also play some 1b. Gorkys would then slot in at #5; his versatility defensively makes him a likely guy to stick on the roster. 

As for other trades - Belt is getting a big raise, so I"d be curious if they can move him. I think he's a solid player. I didn't understand why other posters in the forum gave such disdain for the idea of trading for him. Hes a 3-4 win player at 16 million, which isn't awful. Put him into a park like Yankee stadium, and I think he's a 25-30 homer guy to boot. Shark we can only trade to 8 teams, which limits his availability, and I think it's less likely that we would move him in the offseason because I think the team will be thinking that this season was an aberration and commit themselves to winning next year.