Official SFGiants thread: Kapler out

Forge

The shark to the dl.. again. Good thing we gave up a pitching prospect to open up a roster spot for him! 

I have been very impressed with Duggar. He has good speed and I like the way he gets out of the box. He always seems calm and collected too, plays a reliable center field and has range like we haven't had in years.. seems like we finally found our leadoff guy 

Our bullpen has the potential to be stellar. That part of our team is really starting to come into form. 

We will need a little luck in the second half, but we are right in it 

• 2 weeks later...

We've pretty much fallen out of it at this point, so I'm expecting us to trade a couple of spare parts. Supposedly we are going to listen on Cutch, which makes sense, and hopefully we can get a little something for him. I'd also try to trade of hundley, who had been pretty decent at the plate in a small sample, and I'd expect a bullpen arm or two to be moved

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2018 at 12:21 PM, Forge said:

Pretty dreadful trade deadline fail by the Giants. 

Rumor is that sabean wants to blow it up but that Larry baer won't allow it. 

I wasn't for tearing it down until about 10 days ago. This team isn't going anywhere without some overhaul. 

I'm convinced mad bum is gonna pitch until he's 45. So I'd rather keep him. I think his size and the throwing motion will allow him to do so. He uses a lot of core and hips with little elbow action. Lots of guys these days snap their elbow and wrists to throw hard but bums release is built to eat innings. He will still be a great player into his late 30s imo 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 12:54 AM, N4L said:

Rumor is that sabean wants to blow it up but that Larry baer won't allow it. 

I wasn't for tearing it down until about 10 days ago. This team isn't going anywhere without some overhaul. 

I'm convinced mad bum is gonna pitch until he's 45. So I'd rather keep him. I think his size and the throwing motion will allow him to do so. He uses a lot of core and hips with little elbow action. Lots of guys these days snap their elbow and wrists to throw hard but bums release is built to eat innings. He will still be a great player into his late 30s imo 

Looks like we may be going into a tear down now. 

Bobby Evans fired as GM, which means we should have a complete overhaul on team building I would assume at this point, especially if that is something Sabean was preferring to do (and that's assuming that Sabean is even back). 

Be really curious to see if Bochy is back as well. Last year we completely overhauled the coaching staff, and it was no better. Now I'm expecting a lot of front office movement. Unfortunately, I just don't know what difference its going to make inthe end to try and convert pieces. Cueto is out with TJS. Melancon is pretty dreadful at the contract he has, so I can't imagine many people are lining up for him. Same for Shark. 

I think Crawford has a no trade clause, though I think there would be teams interested. Belt has a 10 team no trader, but if he's a piece we feel needs to be moved, he will be (and I suspect that is going to be the case). Don't think that Belt is a giant at the start of next season. Given Posey's hip, going to need more time at first base in the immediate future. Longo isn't going anywhere given how he's regressed and that cost, so I really feel like our hands are tied for the most part. 

After that, the trade chips are pretty barren. Can't see them trading madbum, though obviously it may be something that they need to entertain.

• 2 months later...

Strickland is a little surprising, but he's already 30 and I don't think he had the mental makeup to be a closer. Hernandez was solid for stretches last year, but has largely been a below replacement level player throughout his career, so not overly concerned about the loss of either. 

Looks like MadBum is also back off the block at this point. I'm going to be surprised if he finishes the uniform in a Giants uni. I'm assuming that the market value simply wasn't there for us to be willing to trade an icon. May look a little different come the trade deadline. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently we are very active in trade talks, and it pretty much runs the gamut. They've talked about selling relievers, acquiring a big contacts to obtain prospects, etc. Apparently, we are even going to check in on tulo, though I have no idea why.

Also, there's talk that we may use openers next year. I'm guessing that is the exception more than the role though

Buster Posey apparently had an unknown microfracture in his hip that was discovered during surgery. Not great. I'm really curious to see how he comes back this year. The history of players coming back from this type of surgery is really, really poor to be honest. 

For the first time in our history, we took 2 guys in the rule 5 draft. I guess that kind of tells us where the roster is at currently, but the picks both made sense. 

Travis Bergen is a lefty reliever who had some arm trouble in the past. Is already 25 and has never pitched above double A (which I think he did last year), but it does look like he was really good there in limited innings. Struck out more than a batter an inning in double A, gave up less than a baserunner an inning. 35 innings total. Not bad at all. Given that Smith and Watson seem likely to be headed out the door, and rule 5 selections have to stay on the roster all year or go back to the original team, I feel like this selection makes a ton of sense. Cheap left handed middle relief to supplant Smith and Watson, the former whom we should get a solid return for if the talks of his interest is true. 

We also took Drew Ferguson from the Astros. He's already 26, so that's not ideal, but he's a high OBP guy, which looks like something we want to target under the new regime, and apparently he can play all three outfield spots. He's been in AAA the last two years; he was dreadful in 2017, went back to A ball for a short season, then came back up to AAA in 2018 and hit extremely well. SEems like a guy that has been a solid .300 hitter for most of his minor league days, high obp, so obviously works the count. Doesn't have much power it looks like though, especially for a corner outfield spot, so would seem to be a bench / pinch hitter type in the majors. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, Forge said:

Based on what I'm seeing so far, it looks like we are very hesitant to be throwing money out there right now. Maybe trying to be patient and get good deals down the line. 

Yeah, I think everyone expected some drastic 'change for change sake' moves by Zaidi. I actually like that we are basically giving it another year with the current group. With the contracts we have, and how players have preformed on those contacts, I dont think there was a whole lot of maneuvering that could be done with the roster overall. 

I am interested to see how certain guys change their approach. Analytics doesnt just help you find players it helps you deploy strategies that help you win on the field. I think giving some of the veterans we have more information to play better could work wonders. We do have a lot of 'gamers' on our roster.

Essentially its - fix the players we have rather than fixing the roster by adding new players. 

couple of tweaks here and there to a guy's swing or a guy's delivery, could change the whole feeling in the building. I think it will be/could be a nice mesh of 'old school baseball' with 'new age information'. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...