Cam Newton might be available for trade

cconocool

No.

He's broken down and hasn't done a thing worth getting excited over since 2015.

I want nothing to do with a shoulder like that and I continue to think he's one of the most over-rated QBs in the game. Outside of 2015, he's been very average. He's never eclipsed 24 TDs, only hit 4,000 yards once in 2011 and is good to throw 13-15 picks a season while struggling to complete 60% of his passes.

That type of QB would absolutely flounder in this offense.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 3

Depending on how the rest of this season goes, I would trade Kirk Cousins and his $31M cap hit away for Cam Newton and his $21M cap hit. Both would be in their last year and neither is a guy that I would be looking to extend with a big money deal.

But yeah, how things sit now I would gladly take Cam Newton next year and an extra $10M in cap space over standing pat with Kirk Cousins. The $10M in cap space could be used to improve the offensive line. That would help either of those QBs (although probably more important to have offensive line be a team strength if your QB is Kirk Cousins).

If the Panthers wanted something other than Kirk Cousins I wouldn't even be talking to them.

Also, if Kirk Cousins plays out the rest of this year near how he played for the whole month of October my opinion of him would be significantly higher and I would keep him next year.

59 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Depending on how the rest of this season goes, I would trade Kirk Cousins and his $31M cap hit away for Cam Newton and his $21M cap hit. Both would be in their last year and neither is a guy that I would be looking to extend with a big money deal.

Kirk has to approve any trade.

I doubt he'd waive his NMC and this would make no sense for Carolina to do.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

2 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Kirk has to approve any trade.

I doubt he'd waive his NMC and this would make no sense for Carolina to do.

Agreed. I was only commenting on what I would be willing to do. I have no idea why Carolina or Kirk Cousins would be interested in executing the deal, and it would take both of them buying in. That does seem unlikely.

However, that doesn't at all change the fact that I would do it if I was running the Vikings.

Apart from the deal involving them taking Cousins and his salary, I wouldn't even talk to the Panthers about the deal. With that stipulation they very well may not be interested in talking to me about the deal and I would be perfectly fine with that.

yeah i would honestly just stand pat with cousins next year. 

newton's body is breaking down and once he loses his athletic advantage he doesn't have a lot of above-average QB traits to fall back on. he has a good deep ball when his shoulder is healthy but isn't the most accurate, doesn't process his field reads well and just overall isn't the most cerebral QB. 

While I certainly think a healthy Cam is better QB than Cousins, his body is a serious concern right now and it wouldn't make a lot of sense to add that uncertainty to the team.

He'd be awesome in this offense tho. People really don't appreciate how little talent he's had to work with in Carolina.

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

No.

He's broken down and hasn't done a thing worth getting excited over since 2015.

I want nothing to do with a shoulder like that and I continue to think he's one of the most over-rated QBs in the game. Outside of 2015, he's been very average. He's never eclipsed 24 TDs, only hit 4,000 yards once in 2011 and is good to throw 13-15 picks a season while struggling to complete 60% of his passes.

That type of QB would absolutely flounder in this offense.

True but Kirk Cousins in 83 games is 40 Wins, 41 Loses and 2 Ties and 1 Playoff loss in only one game played.

Cam Newton in 131 games is 71 wins, 59 loses and 1 tie.  Also has a Super Bowl appearance and is 3 and 4 in the Playoffs.

Say whatever you want about Cam not being healthy, but as an inspirational and charismatic leader he is night and day above Kirk Cousins who seems to struggle to relate to and or inspire his teammates.  Hopefully that changes but a healthy Cam Newton I would take all day over Kirk Cousins just in leadership alone.  He is not a great passer but in the right offense and healthy he is very hard to deal with.  Only question is health and recently the past few years he has not looked good, but if Kirk had Cam's health issues he would simply not be in the league anymore honestly.  Cam is such a fighter and great athlete he can still kind of struggle along despite his health issues but that might be soon coming to an end.  Oddly enough Cam is 30, Kirk is 31.  Cam was a MVP at one point, Kirk will never be that in the NFL.  

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True but Kirk Cousins in 83 games is 40 Wins, 41 Loses and 2 Ties and 1 Playoff loss in only one game played.

Cam Newton in 131 games is 71 wins, 59 loses and 1 tie.  Also has a Super Bowl appearance and is 3 and 4 in the Playoffs.

Say whatever you want about Cam not being healthy, but as an inspirational and charismatic leader he is night and day above Kirk Cousins who seems to struggle to relate to and or inspire his teammates.  Hopefully that changes but a healthy Cam Newton I would take all day over Kirk Cousins just in leadership alone.  He is not a great passer but in the right offense and healthy he is very hard to deal with.  Only question is health and recently the past few years he has not looked good, but if Kirk had Cam's health issues he would simply not be in the league anymore honestly.  Cam is such a fighter and great athlete he can still kind of struggle along despite his health issues but that might be soon coming to an end.  Oddly enough Cam is 30, Kirk is 31.  Cam was a MVP at one point, Kirk will never be that in the NFL.  

Yeah, but that's a pretty BIG question!  If he were anywhere near the force he was in 2011, then, yes, I would be interested.  I think he's damaged goods physically and might ought to think about leaving the game.  But, a few years ago he was a wonder to behold!!  Those days are gone, I fear.