Cam Newton might be available for trade

cconocool

30 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

But isn't that the point of the internet, i.e. to engage in tangential reasoning?!?

Yes.  If there is going to be talk of bringing in a QB (and certainly one with Cam's resume), then there will be comparisons to the current QB. 

Edited by Snake Plissken
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, Cearbhall said:

You don't think so? An extra $4M in cap space to LT is the difference between Trent Brown and Reilly Reiff this year. For $4.25M in cap space this year the Vikings could have Billy Turner at LG and kept Pat Elflein with the team as the interior backup.

If you don't like those particular players, there are alternatives. I picked those guys because they were free agents signed this year. Obviously the Vikings would be looking at the guys available next year. There will be some. It is not hard to imagine an extra $10M upgrading both LG and LT. If you can't find a free agent that you could get for $10M that you don't like better than Pat Elflein, you obviously think a lot higher than Pat Elfein's NFL skills than I do.

The Viking current starting five offensive line has a cap value of ~$19.2M this year. Injecting another $10M is a huge percentage change.

Billy Turner and Trent Brown have both been worse than Elflein and Reiff. 

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Billy Turner and Trent Brown have both been worse than Elflein and Reiff. 

Like I said, if you don't like those particular players, there are alternatives. I didn't think too hard about their names. I picked the most expensive free agent to show they could have paid for anyone they wanted. Then picked a guard because that is the obvious weak spot on the Vikings offensive line. The one I selected was based only off of the fact that he was a free agent and I liked watching him a lot in college. I haven't paid a ton of attention to Turner in the pros apart from when he does something good and the NDSU homers I follow point it out.

The point is this: for $10M they could have signed whoever they wanted. If Spielman couldn't improve the offensive line being able to sign whoever he wanted then he doesn't deserve to be an NFL GM. Improving the offensive line isn't exactly a high bar given how awful Pat Elflein has been. Cap space was tight. He prioritized other positions with the little precious cap space they had. $10M would have been a huge amount of alleviation to that problem. With that, he could have upgraded the offensive line. Or in the case of next year, with $10M extra to spend there he would have the chance to significantly upgrade next year's offensive line.

I do not think that he wanted to go into the year with Pat Eflein being given the starting job. The way that he prioritizes building the team left him with no other choice given the financial limitations.

Edited by Cearbhall

Cam Newton is a terrible thrower and has been almost his entire career. You guys are better off with Cousins. 

Funny story: This summer I was told that if the Cowboys wanted Cam, it would cost Dak, Jaylon Smith, 2 first round picks and a mid rounder. It might have been the most delusional Panther fan on planet earth. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Cam Newton is a terrible thrower and has been almost his entire career. You guys are better off with Cousins. 

Funny story: This summer I was told that if the Cowboys wanted Cam, it would cost Dak, Jaylon Smith, 2 first round picks and a mid rounder. It might have been the most delusional Panther fan on planet earth. 

So, you're criticizing...his Newtonian mechanics?!?

• Like 2