Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

NFL is a hardcore reactionary league. We'll go with a hot name in the coordinator market because you pull from elsewhere when your home sucks. Wouldn't be shocked if the Browns snagged Jerod Mayo from the Pats or Kellen Moore from the Cowboys because their names have been thrown around a lot as rising stars. 

I'd absolutely bring Jim Harbaugh in, albeit I bet he and Baker would hate each other. Baker doesn't seem like a "You WILL wear a baseball cap on straight or else you won't play for me" type.

It would either be a perfect marriage between two fiery competitors who are pretty quirky themselves

or

an absolute dumpster fire.

Friendly reminder that this is Cleveland, so I know which option I'd bet on.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I can't believe that he's a serious candidate. I thought people were trolling by bringing his name up.

Romeo Crennel has kept the Texans defense competitive even without Watt...

Edited by NudeTayne
the implication

14 hours ago, Mind Character said:

We have to break free from the insanity of just going after the hot name coordinator that is not an elite program/culture leader.

-----

I've made the point as have many others that last year's coaching search was at minimum a farce and at worst a travesty.

We fired our HC 8 games into the season and had half the season to come up with a finalist list of candidates to interview. The candidates ended up being: 1.) Gregg Williams, 2.) Brian Flores, 3.) Matt Eberflus, 4.) Jim Caldwell, 5.) Kevin Stefanski, 6.) Dan Campbell, 7.) Freddie Kitchens, 8.) Requested to interview but did not formally interview Nick Sirianni.

None for various reasons were thought to be elite program/culture leaders. All except for Gregg and Caldwell were inexperienced requiring a steep learning curve.

It seemed clear post-search: John Dorsey likely wanted to hire a first time coach who couldn't challenge his power and/or gain leverage to fire him like Andy Reid in KC, and/or key decision makers saw Freddie as their guy early and sought to interview candidates closer to his level of recent coordinator experience.

-----------

We have to buck two negatives trends in coaching hires/searches in the NFL if we're going to have any success going forward: 1.) We have to break free from narrowing our focus on seeking out the new shiny, hot-name coordinator as HC and assuming success as a coordinator will translate to success as a HC --AND-- 2.) We have to break free from the trend to simply hire NFL retreads just because they have NFL experience.

Maybe we luck out b/c there doesn't seem to be the new hot shiny coordinator in the league so maybe we won't be fooled into those false hope hires.

We need a proven elite program/culture leader head coach with the ability to hire an elite QB coach and OC.Likely, we'll have to turn our eyes away from the NFL when it comes to the HC position to get that culture leaders, but we can supplement that HC with NFL coaches on their staff to alleviate concerns.

Some Elite Program/Culture Leaders with Situational, Creative, & High-Level Program/Culture-Building Prowess (Multi-year trends not just based on current record/success):

Urban Meyer

Dan Mullen

Chris Peterson

David Shaw

Matt Rhule 

Matt Campbell

Pat Fitzgerald

Lincoln Riley

----

Being a Head Coach is so much more than X & O's. The coach has to be a visionary, a tactician, a creative administrator of a learning program for human beings of a wide-variety of personalities and sensibilities, the HC has to be an elite worker, they have to surround themselves with creative genius, they have to command respect for daily progression through an engaging habit-training systematic program, and so much more.

These HC's get paid multiple millions of dollars and don't have to step on the field of play so what sets them apart are their habits of thought and behavior, their analysis and problem-solving acumen, and their ability to lead/set an agenda for a big group of human beings who then feel compelled to follow through with the plan. We have the attractive talent that many coaches would love to coach.

The candidates need to be able to prove that they can get an elite staff around them. We have to be able to finally get an elite program/culture leader HC... one that is elite at the things that make great head coaches even if they aren't directly calling defensive, offensive, special teams plays

This is the **** that gets me- when people make hot takes about people they’ve never met and their ability to do intangible things

and then when we lose they think that it verifies their unverifiable priors 

prob gonna be McCarthy 

• Like 1