Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

3 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I really wish I knew what changed between the second half of last year and the first half of this year...

It seems like all that creativity is gone.  Granted I REALLY liked what I saw with the 2 backs in the last game, but we just have been in a rut.

Couldn’t agree more, it was like two different offenses.

Last year we took deep shots, bubble screens, jet sweeps, shovel passes, philly specials, wing T, etc. and this year had been uber bland with the exception of a game or two.

We need more of that stuff moving forward.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Taub probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't hate it either.

That's the problem if we do fire Freddie. Besides maybe Lincoln Riley, who still wouldn't be a sure thing, I don't think there's a HC candidate who would be a home run hire.

If we couldn't get Riley, I'd probably try to hire McCarthy. The end of his tenure with Green Bay was uninspiring, but he did a great job at helping Rogers develop and was their head coach for many great seasons. Like Andy Reid in Philadelphia, sometimes a change is just needed for both the team and the HC, but that doesn't mean that the HC is a bad coach.

Not sure we could get anybody if Freddie is fired at 1year

certainly not a name brand coach like Lincoln who could get control of any job with his own personell man

19 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Not sure we could get anybody if Freddie is fired at 1year

certainly not a name brand coach like Lincoln who could get control of any job with his own personell man

I think people underestimate this a lot.

Will someone want the job?  Of course, there’s only 32 of them and the talent is appealing, but will they be able THE guy they want or draw an ELITE name here?  I’m skeptical personally.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If we finish 8-8 or 9-7 he's gotta come back. Even 7-9 he probably gets the benefit of the doubt.

If they beat Cinci x2 and Arizona, you can say that we did better this year than last year at 8-8, we were 4-2 (assuming we lose to Baltimore) in the division and beat Pittsburgh AND Baltimore in the same season for the first time in Franchise history, and Mayfield progressed down the stretch after a rocky start.

JMHO

11 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless we go 1-3 or something he’s coming back, regardless as to whether or not we bump this thread.

We are going to lose to Baltimore and Arizona at this rate. Both of those teams are head & shoulders above the Steelers and the freaking Broncos.

That should be more than enough to receive a pink slip.

I really wanted Freddie to be good. But he hasn't been. It's probably not ALL on him, but a lot of it is. Heads have to roll and I think his is the first to be on the chopping block.

22 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We are going to lose to Baltimore and Arizona at this rate. Both of those teams are head & shoulders above the Steelers and the freaking Broncos.

That should be more than enough to receive a pink slip.

I really wanted Freddie to be good. But he hasn't been. It's probably not ALL on him, but a lot of it is. Heads have to roll and I think his is the first to be on the chopping block.

After one year heads have to roll? Why not one month?  One game? Maybe next year we fire the HC if they aren’t winning at halftime week one?  

If heads rolling actually helped anything we’d have a dynasty by now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After one year heads have to roll? Why not one month?  One game? Maybe next year we fire the HC if they aren’t winning at halftime week one?  

If heads rolling actually helped anything we’d have a dynasty by now.

We've never had this kind of talent since we've been back.  Other coaches would kill to have the bevvy of talent that we do.

I can understand not firing coaches when your roster is depleted and you're in the midst of a rebuild. But we aren't in a rebuild anymore. We need to win NOW. Like...this year and next. That's our immediate window and we can't afford to waste another year on Kitchens.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Unless we go 1-3 or something he’s coming back, regardless as to whether or not we bump this thread.

My question is how is he going to galvanize the locker room, and make these guys respect Brown and Orange and act accordingly? We need somebody that respects the city and the colors, these guys think this is a joke.

We are understandably plagued by impatience. This is the first time in my life though where no matter what I look at this team and say "at worst we are at least going to be fun to watch for the next decade".

That's all I really want, a consistently competitive team. With Baker and Myles that's pretty much a given. Baker looked early in the season like he'd take the path of those before him, but even in this game, in probably the worst circumstances he could find himself in(no blocking, Steelers D at its best, our defense banged up), he still competed and gave us a shot to win albeit also maybe costing the game. 

Doesn't matter if it is Kitchens or someone else. IMO Kitch is decent enough despite having all kinds of talent that warrants a better record. He and the youth of the players are probably the most inexperienced in the league. They are inconsistent and have their mental lapses but they are also passionate, physical, and come ready to play.

Unless you know you can land a top tier candidate why take the risk?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We've never had this kind of talent since we've been back.  Other coaches would kill to have the bevvy of talent that we do.

I can understand not firing coaches when your roster is depleted and you're in the midst of a rebuild. But we aren't in a rebuild anymore. We need to win NOW. Like...this year and next. That's our immediate window and we can't afford to waste another year on Kitchens.

I think many of us overestimated the talent on this team.

We have some big names and some elite guys for sure, but our roster is nowhere near as good as some think it is, especially right now.

Our DL rotation is filled with street FA’s, our LB’s are rookies save Schobert, our DB’s are either green or scrubs, our OL is awful.

I don’t believe you need all stars at every position, but you need at least capable starters.  We have 2-3 capable starters on the OL and the right side as a whole is replacement level.  They’re killing the offense.

And frankly, OBJ hasn’t impressed at all. I realize he’s a huge name and has been great before this year, but all in all he’s been mediocre.  Lots of easy drops, few (2) explosive plays, etc.  I get he draws coverage, but I’m guessing he did that in NY too.

Vernon has been a non-factor.

Hunt missed half the season.

Our TE’s are a key part of our offense and they’re mediocre at best. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matt27j said:

Unless you know you can land a top tier candidate why take the risk?

Who is that guy though really?

It’s not like there are any proven, successful head coaches who are looking for a gig. McCarthy maybe?  Meh..

A top college coach?  Good luck with that.  Any coach willing to leave a top shelf college program to come here and lead this circus is nuts.

I’m just not sure who the “home run” hire is.  That’s kinda how we landed here last year.