Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

One guy? No.

A select handful of guys you’ve had your eye on for the last year and a half?  Yes.

Well Rivera looks like he is going to Washington.

Here are list of guys that we've been associated with WANTING to interview

Mcdaniels

Saleh

McCarthy

Roman

Something wrong with that list?

Too big for ya?

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Well Rivera looks like he is going to Washington.

Here are list of guys that we've been associated with WANTING to interview

Mcdaniels

Saleh

McCarthy

Roman

Something wrong with that list?

Too big for ya?

Well they already interviewed McDaniels a year ago and the whole FO knows McCarthy about as well as possible, so those seem dumb.

So yeah, I guess.

53 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If he gets the job, here's the good and bad

Good: 

• May make a better head coach than a DC. Kind of just has that aura about him. 
  • He won't embarrass you with regards to media relations and relationships in general. He's great to listen to, speaks well, definitely commands a room.  He won't lose that locker room. 
  • He probably brings people from the 49er staff with him. This is a good thing. A guy like Mike Lafleur or Mike McDaniels would almost certainly come with him to the be the OC and call plays, both guys that have learned at the feet of Shanny and are pretty damn good at their jobs (particularly McDaniels). Joe Woods or Kocurek could come along as a DC. Both have done well. Kocurek brings the wide 9, and he did unlock some pass rushing ability from the defense, though having all the first round picks helped. Joe Woods though was a notably huge replacement over Hafley though. 
  • I consider it a good thing that he simply doesn't bow down to things like draft position. Solomon Thomas sucks and has always sucked, and his snap counts have reflected that. He didn't cater to Thomas just because he was a 3OA. Last night, after spoon was struggling, he benched him. He benched Jason Verrett this year after 2 plays. He will make those changes on the fly if he deems them necessary. 

Bad: 

• I legitimately don't know if he's actually good at his current job. I mean, of course the defense should be good. Its a line that features Deforest Buckner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and Dee Ford. Plus the team added Richard Sherman and Kwon Alexander for him. The guy damn well better have fielded a good defense. 
  • Stubborn. Slow on the adjustment side of things in my opinion outside of personnel changes. Everyone knew that Thomas couldn't play an edge role, yet it took 2 full years to commit to playing him inside. The defensive strategy is always the same. He is very slow to adjust in that regard. Against the Rams, they seriously hit us constantly wwith the same thing over and over, and we didn't adjust until almost half time. The change to defensive strategy this year doesn't strike me as something that was his idea - this defensive alignment is no longer his own. He wanted a 4-3 under approach, and it simply didn't work, and we brought in Kocurek to implement the wide 9 front, which I do not believe was something that Saleh would have done on his own. 
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Joe Woods or Kocurek could come along as a DC. Both have done well. Kocurek brings the wide 9, and he did unlock some pass rushing ability from the defense, though having all the first round picks helped. Joe Woods though was a notably huge replacement over Hafley though.

Is Kocurek the new DL coach? I heard a couple rumors earlier in the year that Saleh would get HC looks because of how good the defense was playing, but that they thought it was largely because of the personnel upgrades and the DL coach upgrading their performance?

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he gets the job, here's the good and bad

Good: 

• May make a better head coach than a DC. Kind of just has that aura about him. 
  • He won't embarrass you with regards to media relations and relationships in general. He's great to listen to, speaks well, definitely commands a room.  He won't lose that locker room. 
  • He probably brings people from the 49er staff with him. This is a good thing. A guy like Mike Lafleur or Mike McDaniels would almost certainly come with him to the be the OC and call plays, both guys that have learned at the feet of Shanny and are pretty damn good at their jobs (particularly McDaniels). Joe Woods or Kocurek could come along as a DC. Both have done well. Kocurek brings the wide 9, and he did unlock some pass rushing ability from the defense, though having all the first round picks helped. Joe Woods though was a notably huge replacement over Hafley though. 
  • I consider it a good thing that he simply doesn't bow down to things like draft position. Solomon Thomas sucks and has always sucked, and his snap counts have reflected that. He didn't cater to Thomas just because he was a 3OA. Last night, after spoon was struggling, he benched him. He benched Jason Verrett this year after 2 plays. He will make those changes on the fly if he deems them necessary. 

Bad: 

• I legitimately don't know if he's actually good at his current job. I mean, of course the defense should be good. Its a line that features Deforest Buckner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and Dee Ford. Plus the team added Richard Sherman and Kwon Alexander for him. The guy damn well better have fielded a good defense. 
  • Stubborn. Slow on the adjustment side of things in my opinion outside of personnel changes. Everyone knew that Thomas couldn't play an edge role, yet it took 2 full years to commit to playing him inside. The defensive strategy is always the same. He is very slow to adjust in that regard. Against the Rams, they seriously hit us constantly wwith the same thing over and over, and we didn't adjust until almost half time. The change to defensive strategy this year doesn't strike me as something that was his idea - this defensive alignment is no longer his own. He wanted a 4-3 under approach, and it simply didn't work, and we brought in Kocurek to implement the wide 9 front, which I do not believe was something that Saleh would have done on his own. 

Would shanny let those guys leave though? Didn’t he block them from taking OC jobs last year?

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

Is Kocurek the new DL coach? I heard a couple rumors earlier in the year that Saleh would get HC looks because of how good the defense was playing, but that they thought it was largely because of the personnel upgrades and the DL coach upgrading their performance?

Yes, Kocurek was the DL coach we brought in this year. That's one of the reasons that I'm not even sure Saleh is good at his current job. We have a podcast int he 49er forum, and I brought it up prior to the start of the season that I don't even think that this Saleh's defense any more. It still has some principles, of course, but it's not a straight 4-3 cover 3 zone like he wanted to install because he comes from the Bradley / Quinn tree. We run a wide 9 upfront now (which has definitely helped with the pass rushing, specifically Armstead, but has hampered the run defense), though a lot of the same coverage principles are there, along with the lack of blitzing.

The personnel upgrades is mainly Bosa, to be honest. Obviously Kwon was a big add, but he also missed half the season, so hard to say what kind of impact he had. Everything else is largely the same. 

I will say that a lot of defensive players have progressed very nicely this year, and whether or not he's directly responsible for it, that did occur under his watch. Fred Warner turned into a stud this year after a solid but unspectacular rookie season. Ward & Tartt aren't play makers on the back end, but both are probably having their best seasons. Emmanuel Moseley was a UDFA from last year, pressed into starting duty this year and wasn't lost for a second, playing pretty well (arguably better than the starter). Dre Greenlaw was a fifth round pick this year and has filled in admirably for Kwon since getting hurt (obviously made the huge stop last night). DJ Jones looked like a straight monster at the NT position before going on IR. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Would shanny let those guys leave though? Didn’t he block them from taking OC jobs last year?

He did, but his reasoning was sound. He blocked Lafleur from interviewing with his brother because it was a pure lateral move - our Lafleur wouldn't get to call plays for Green Bay, so Shanny saw no reason to let him go. He was going to have the same exact job, even if he were going to have the official OC title. But when Scangarello was offered the chance to run the Denver offense, we let him go with no problems. In this case, because whomever Saleh would take would run the offense (with Saleh being a defensive guy), I think Lafleur and McDaniels could be in play to join him. Maybe not the defensive guys (not to mention someone like Woods would make sense as our own replacement for Saleh at DC). 

• Like 2