Jump to content

Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd want to see more than 1 year out of Stefanski before giving him a HC job, especially when he is supported by such strong coaches right now (Kubiak, Dennison). 

I’d take him without the year of proof.  We wait for the year of proof, he is going to go elsewhere and excel (imo) there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Head coach?  Is that a joke, not sure he would make a great HC honestly.  

 

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd want to see more than 1 year out of Stefanski before giving him a HC job, especially when he is supported by such strong coaches right now (Kubiak, Dennison). 

Agree, the main reason the Vikings can run the ball better and have a little better OL is Dennison and Kubiak, not Stefanski.  If anything the passing game and play calling at times has been so so and really a lot of it is Denver Broncos type plays based off a zone blocking scheme and OL motion.  Not sure how much Stefanski actually has to do with how the offense looks currently.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd want to see more than 1 year out of Stefanski before giving him a HC job, especially when he is supported by such strong coaches right now (Kubiak, Dennison). 

Same.

Not sure if the October offense was Stefanski or Kubiak or both.

But I agree that if we miss the playoffs or a one/done....it may be time to move on and maybe go with a younger philosophy for the team or Brett Favre.

Please Brett Favre as HC

"Did I make a mistake challenging that play? Maybe. Will I challenge that play again? Doubtful. Do I need to do better with my challenges? Certainly."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Hey, i presume we are looking for a hc after this year, i hope so anyway. 

Stefanski was offered oc here i believe and was a strong candidate for hc. 

Do you gusy like him and do you thjnk he could be a hc?

i think it's tough to say considering being a HC is simply different than being an OC. we really have no idea what his defensive philosophy is and even his offense is influenced by zimmer (with a heavy "run the ball" mandate).

 

that said, stefanski has worked his way up the entire coaching ranks in the vikings organization, has survived two coaching staff "purges" and before last season was blocked from being hired to be the OC for the giants (shurmur tried to bring him to NY with him) because he was obviously being groomed to be OC for us. he's spoken very highly of in the organization.

 

so while he will most likely get a HC job soon (and deservedly so), he would still be something of a wildcard just because of his limited track record. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some of you need to just answer the guy's question, instead of harping on whether he's the architect of the offense (which he is) or if Kubiak/Dennison is (Dennison is only in charge of the running game, just as Sparano was in previous regimes).  Let's not forget that McVay was surrounded by strong coaches too when he was working for the Shanahans, as well as eventually Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan, and Matt Cavanaugh and he managed to be a decent a head coach. 

I think with Stefanski's personality, he'll make a fine head coach.  While I'm not sure he's quite ready yet (as neither was Kitchens), in a couple of years, he will be.  I just hope he makes a smart decision and not take a head coaching job just to get a head coaching job, but rather wait for the right opportunity.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Stefanski even want to go to Cleveland might be the bigger question. He didn’t get the offer the first time around and it seems Browns ownership has little patience with inexperienced head coaches. Plus, taking on the task of maturing Mayfield into a professional may be seen as daunting by a first year head coach who’s pretty reserved as Stefanski is. 

MN could be his ideal landing spot as HC in the end, Zimmer isn’t young.

Edited by vikingsrule
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think some of you need to just answer the guy's question, instead of harping on whether he's the architect of the offense (which he is) or if Kubiak/Dennison is (Dennison is only in charge of the running game, just as Sparano was in previous regimes).  Let's not forget that McVay was surrounded by strong coaches too when he was working for the Shanahans, as well as eventually Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan, and Matt Cavanaugh and he managed to be a decent a head coach. 

I think with Stefanski's personality, he'll make a fine head coach.  While I'm not sure he's quite ready yet (as neither was Kitchens), in a couple of years, he will be.  I just hope he makes a smart decision and not take a head coaching job just to get a head coaching job, but rather wait for the right opportunity.  

I think the browns could do a lot worse. He'd have to find an experienced DC.

Would the Browns be wise to hire someone that's spent pretty much his whole career in MN though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I think the browns could do a lot worse. He'd have to find an experienced DC.

Would the Browns be wise to hire someone that's spent pretty much his whole career in MN though?

The Vikings, over that span of time, have won a hell of a lot more games than the Browns, so yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...