Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I watched the replay of the game.  Dalton played well...but don't talk about him like he's Mitch Trubisky.  He started for nearly a decade and had rating level named for him as the most borderline good/bad starter in the NFL for years.  He's had more than his share of moments of brilliance...mixed with his Kurt Cousins moments.  He is the original Kirk Cousins.  

Sure. Still, I don't think we should be talking about how the defense is average. They had a 3 game stretch of decent play but through 10 games, I don't think we can call them average as a unit. Sure, Kendricks and Smith are awesome. Wilson is opportunistic. The young guys look like they belong. Its still not enough.

14 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sure. Still, I don't think we should be talking about how the defense is average. They had a 3 game stretch of decent play but through 10 games, I don't think we can call them average as a unit. Sure, Kendricks and Smith are awesome. Wilson is opportunistic. The young guys look like they belong. Its still not enough.

With how defenses are today, it is still average as a unit.  25 years ago, these performances would be bottom 5, but that was under different rules.  To put it another way, right now, they are the Kirk Cousins of defenses...moments of pretty good play, and then moments of "what the hell did you do there?"  But, unlike Cousins, their moments of "what the hell?" are because of inexperience.  They'll get better over time...at least I hope so.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

With how defenses are today, it is still average as a unit.  25 years ago, these performances would be bottom 5, but that was under different rules.  To put it another way, right now, they are the Kirk Cousins of defenses...moments of pretty good play, and then moments of "what the hell did you do there?"  But, unlike Cousins, their moments of "what the hell?" are because of inexperience.  They'll get better over time...at least I hope so.  

There’s still a lack of talent up front. On the defense. I’ll agree that the mistakes being made from the corners has a lot to do with experience, but a lot of the “wtf” moments start with a complete inability to make a play along the line of scrimmage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

There’s still a lack of talent up front. On the defense. I’ll agree that the mistakes being made from the corners has a lot to do with experience, but a lot of the “wtf” moments start with a complete inability to make a play along the line of scrimmage. 

I can agree with that.  The pass rush needs to be better...while I don't expect it from Stephen, they do need to get some more push from the 3T.  I think we can all agree that that should be a priority for the draft, along with the OL.  

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can agree with that.  The pass rush needs to be better...while I don't expect it from Stephen, they do need to get some more push from the 3T.  I think we can all agree that that should be a priority for the draft, along with the OL.  

Without doubt the team can use another DT but I wouldn't put it near the level of priority of QB and the OL. Pierce and Hunter will help the defensive line more than any draft pick would. Looking for someone to play DT next to Pierce would be good for sure. There will be a gaping hole at safety to address but I would rather take a hole at safety than not improve the DT situation next to Pierce.

My priorities would be QB, OL, DT, S in that order with depth at other positions also a concern to consider.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was pretty pleased with the offense given the state of the interior of the offensive line.  Outside of Dozier and Rudolph, I would expect, and want, all major contributors back in the fold for the sake of continuity.  Reiff is going to be an interesting one to watch, he had a very good year on a paycut, but is he going to be too expensive to hold on to/will he want to go elsewhere.  I thought Rashod Hill played well in his place on Sunday.  It will also depend on if they feel Cleveland's ultimate home is at tackle or not.