Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

Chad Graff stole my thunder a bit with his latest article on The Athletic, but Dan Campbell would be a very interesting choice. 

Dan Campbell has been one of my favorite options as a head coach for when the Zimmer era ends. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing him come in as OC and be the eventual heir apparent. 

And I do seem to remember a couple of reports that the Vikings tried to hire Campbell back in 2016, before he chose to learn under Sean Payton. 

Edited by SemperFeist

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Chad Graff stole my thunder a bit with his latest article on The Athletic, but Dan Campbell would be a very interesting choice. 

Dan Campbell has been one of my favorite options as a head coach for when the Zimmer era ends. I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing him come in as OC and be the eventual heir apparent. 

And I do seem to remember a couple of reports that the Vikings tried to hire Campbell back in 2016, before he chose to learn under Sean Payton. 

The problem I have with a guy like Campbell...and many others that have been mentioned  outside of Klint and Lynn, is that they all have significant experience in the power blocking scheme.  Not to say that they can't adjust, but they aren't significantly experienced in it, and the offensive linemen the Vikings have drafted recently aren't built for it.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

The problem I have with a guy like Campbell...and many others that have been mentioned  outside of Klint and Lynn, is that they all have significant experience in the power blocking scheme.  Not to say that they can't adjust, but they aren't significantly experienced in it, and the offensive linemen the Vikings have drafted recently aren't built for it.   

O’Neill and Cleveland are probably fine, assuming Cleveland plays Left Tackle. Bradbury is probably moving to LG in this case with a need for a much more stout C and RG combo.

With Gary Kubiak out I assume Rick Dennison will get some consideration, he has been an OC before and basically knows how to run the same stuff Kubiak brought in and was Kubiak's OL coach in Denver and Denver's OC when Kubiak left.  Then Phil Rauscher could be the OL coach who is already on staff as the OL "assistant".

Would not be a wow hire but assuming these guys can develop offensive lineman, and hard to argue with the production of the offense, only issue offensively is the piss poor pass pro.  Other than that they have a good run game and are starting to get a look of a quality unit overall, not to mention an amazing year with Jefferson as a rookie.  Then again Kirk's play had more to do with Jefferson's success than Kubiak's play calling I feel.

Would love Dan Quinn on D but sure Zimmer will go back to that position and really I think he already was this year despite not being the DC he was still crazy involved.  

13 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Would it be crazy to give PJ Fleck a call? Could he coach in the NFL?

He did already...the 2012 season with the Bucs...but then he got hired as the HC of WMU.   Either way though, he's made to be a college coach, not a NFL coach.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1