Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

13 minutes ago, Freakout said:

Semper was guessing Stefanski had the Cleveland job yesterday in the game thread due to the piss poor game he called.  Looks like he was right.

Gotcha. I didn't think I said anything that outlandish.

If that's the case Zimmer shouldn't let him poach any of our assistants if he can help it

Possible OC options

In house - Klint or Gary Kubiak (more likely Klint with Gary continuing in the advisory role)

External - Pat Shurmur (former OC) and Jay Gruden (former Zimmer colleague and Cousins connection)

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Possible OC options

In house - Klint or Gary Kubiak (more likely Klint with Gary continuing in the advisory role)

External - Pat Shurmur (former OC) and Jay Gruden (former Zimmer colleague and Cousins connection)

Didn’t Gruden and Cousins feud?  Or am I making it up?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Didn’t Gruden and Cousins feud?  Or am I making it up?

Very possible - I was just posting a cursory list of connections to the team/Zimmer that could make sense. I admittedly didn't do much research.

So what Kubiak becomes the OC hopefully?  Hell he and Dennison had way more to do with the run game than freaking Kevin Stafanski.

Good luck Cleveland, but Stefanski is not that great of a coach, sure is calm and has the HC demeanor but what has he actually accomplished outside of being able to stick around on multiple coach staffs with different head coaches?  Guy has been a coordinator once in his career in the NFL now is a head coach?  Good luck, sure he is better and more qualified than Kliff Kingsbury lets say but still, he is not better than let us say Marvin Lewis in any way!

54 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Possible OC options

Honestly Pat Shurmur can screw off, that quick damn short passing game was so freaking lame.  Not a fan of that, stick with Kubiak ideally or an off spring of him literally or from his coaching tree.  

Shurmur only got that Giants job because of how great Thielen was and Diggs improved and played those few seasons, but fact is they are good players regardless, it was not because of Shurmur's great offensive coaching.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly Pat Shurmur can screw off, that quick damn short passing game was so freaking lame.  Not a fan of that, stick with Kubiak ideally or an off spring of him literally or from his coaching tree.  

Shurmur only got that Giants job because of how great Thielen was and Diggs improved and played those few seasons, but fact is they are good players regardless, it was not because of Shurmur's great offensive coaching.  

Or perhaps he molded his offense to bring out the best in a severely limited 3rd string QB and offensive line?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So what Kubiak becomes the OC hopefully?  Hell he and Dennison had way more to do with the run game than freaking Kevin Stafanski.

Good luck Cleveland, but Stefanski is not that great of a coach, sure is calm and has the HC demeanor but what has he actually accomplished outside of being able to stick around on multiple coach staffs with different head coaches?  Guy has been a coordinator once in his career in the NFL now is a head coach?  Good luck, sure he is better and more qualified than Kliff Kingsbury lets say but still, he is not better than let us say Marvin Lewis in any way!

Quite a few coaches were only a coordinator for a year or 2

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Only reason I liked it was because we were getting the ball out of the QB’s had with a bad offensive line and moving the ball. We don’t have the offensive line and most likely won’t have one next year that can make us a big air threat like the Chiefs.

we also don’t have the QB to do it.

Cousins is such a rhythm QB. Quick passes, and a running game will still be what he’s best at.

11 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Only reason I liked it was because we were getting the ball out of the QB’s had with a bad offensive line and moving the ball. We don’t have the offensive line and most likely won’t have one next year that can make us a big air threat like the Chiefs.

we also don’t have the QB to do it.

Cousins is such a rhythm QB. Quick passes, and a running game will still be what he’s best at.

Last time I checked Zimmer wants a run game, and a short passing game is a run game for teams who cannot run the ball.  Zimmer wants to have a Titans style run game but with the OL currently that might not be possible.

Not the biggest fan of Stefanski's playcalling, and again it was not his offense it was Mike Shanahan's aka Kubiak and Dennison on the OL, it was their offensive system not Stefanski's.  Good luck to him but I bet Cleveland will be in this same situation 2-3 years from now potentially.  If anything Pat Shurmur had more potential as a HC and even he flamed out, why wouldn't Stafanski?    

Still no thanks for a west coast offense with a short passing game 3-4 wide outs.  That is Pat Shurmur arguably and in no way on earth do they do that when Zimmer calls Kubiak the best decision he ever made while hiring another coach as a HC. 

47 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That’s you’re opinion, but he was part of coaching staff that went 13-3 with Case Keenum as QB. The Vikings had success with him.