Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Do you guys think your going to resign Anthony Harris?

we have a huge hole at SS and he’s the best one on the market 

I would be a bit wary of him. He had one good year before this year and then was great this year. 

You might have buyer's remorse if you sign him to a huge deal. 

43 minutes ago, cconocool said:

I would be a bit wary of him. He had one good year before this year and then was great this year. 

I disagree. He’s worked really hard to go from practice squad to have an all pro level season. That’s exactly the kind of guy I would want to commit to. My only hesitation would be his age.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I disagree. He’s worked really hard to go from practice squad to have an all pro level season. That’s exactly the kind of guy I would want to commit to. My only hesitation would be his age.

I’d prioritize Harris but you’re right on age. Sucks for Harris since he’s in line for a big payday, after being stuck on his rookie deal, but he’s already 29. If I could get him to sign a three year deal around $9m per year I’d feel pretty good. Anything more seems unlikely for MN given the cap restraints.

52 minutes ago, cconocool said:

Hard disagree on this one. His level of play is very clearly sustainable. Crazy how underrated Harris is right now, he legitimately one of the best safeties playing and is still flying under the radar, even among some Vikings fans.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Hopefully the next OC does a better at focusing the offense towards #14. Diggs doesn’t get nearly enough attention from this offense. 

This specific tweet is slightly misleading imo....Just to provide bit more context to this play -

I mean...we know @upriser7

The gif is solely there to highlight Diggs. Sherman was at least the 3rd best corner in the league this year and Diggs burns him and it wasn't the only time it happened.

@SemperFeist's point is that Diggs is #great and the offense should run through him. This play is one of a thousand that demonstrates why.

Why are Vikings fans so sensitive about Cousins that nearly any observation about the offense in a loss is seen as an attack on his entire soul?

Edited by Dolmonite26
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The gif is solely there to highlight Diggs. Sherman was at least the 3rd best corner in the league this year and Diggs burns him and it wasn't the only time it happened.

@SemperFeist's point is that Diggs is #great and the offense should run through him. This play is one of a thousand that demonstrates why.

i think it'd be cool for there to be a tracking stat called "untargeted percentage", where receivers are open but not targeted whilst open. i feel like diggs would easily have the highest one on the team, though thielen's is probably fairly high too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Why are Vikings fans so sensitive about Cousins that nearly any observation about the offense in a loss is seen as an attack on his entire soul?

The overall point is that Diggs is going to burn any corner in 3 seconds on the majority of plays. Playing CB at an elite level requires covering for a little over 2 seconds so the pass rush can get home, and Sherman does a great job of that. The play would work if the Vikings had the personnel to match San Francisco's front. It is a failure on Stefanski to not account for that. Has nothing to do with Kirk.

If anything, that play illustrates why a heavier investment in the O-Line helps everyone on offense. Gives Kirk time to find receivers, gives receivers more time to run longer developing routes and helps establish the run with better blocking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

The play would work if the Vikings had the personnel to match San Francisco's front.

The play would have worked if the QB understood the concept of climbing the pocket. Sacks aren’t solely an o-line stat. Far too often, and this play is another example, Cousins hits the bottom of his drop back and he sits there. He stops moving his feet. This just makes it that much easier for d-linemen, because they know that they just have to get to a spot, instead of finding the QB. 

12 hours ago, cconocool said:

Trying to undersell him, @cconocool?  Nice.  Although, this topic is about the OC, I'll elaborate and say that I'm not that concerned about his age...he's 28 (he doesn't turn 29 until midway through next season, unlike what someone else said), but as a safety, they aren't as reliant on speed as a CB is, so they could sign him to a 3-4 year deal and he'd be just fine.  While not necessarily a fair comparison, it should be noted that Eric Weddle is still a top-10 safety and he's 35 years old.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

The Browns have scheduled interviews with Monti Ossentfort of the Patriots and Andrew Berry of the Eagles for Friday. They tentatively will interview the third candidate, Vikings assistant General Manager George Paton, over the weekend, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports. Paton is close with new Browns coach Kevin Stefanski, who was the Vikings offensive coordinator.

Paton just completed his 13th season with the Vikings, but his relationship with Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman goes back even longer. Paton and Spielman worked on the personnel staffs in Chicago and Miami before joining forces again in Minnesota.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/16/george-paton-expected-to-interview-with-browns-this-weekend/

On 1/13/2020 at 9:25 AM, swede700 said:

Welcome back...you probably wouldn't have remembered me, since I have a different screen name now...I was disaacs.  However, as you can guess, a lot has changed, especially in a few days.  :)

Yes, I do remember disaacs!  Great to see you again!  Looking forward to complaining about the Vikings with you guys again.  LOL xD

• Like 2