Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The exodus continues. 

I feel like we’re going to look back at this in a few years and say we kept Zimmer one year to long. 

I've been a huge fan of Zim since Day 1, and one of his biggest supporters, but I've actually been thinking the same thing for the last week or so.  :(

Not sure how I actually feel about this. It seems logical and bringing him in certainly helped improve the run game but I'm worried he's just another old guy that won't be able to adjust to the modern NFL. Hopefully he's taking notes on what's making younger offensive masterminds like McVay and Shanahan successful. 

the right choice. the scheme really fits our personnel and our offense took a huge step forward this season. in my mind it was always going to be gary or klint. 

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Kubiak was the right hire for OC. Hopefully he can stay awhile and not be the next Oc to leave to take a HC job. 

gary kubiak very likely won't be a HC again. he stepped down the last time he was HC because it affected his health negatively. i'm a little surprised he agreed to be OC for us given it has similar week-to-week stress as being a head coach. hopefully his health holds up.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Not sure how I actually feel about this. It seems logical and bringing him in certainly helped improve the run game but I'm worried he's just another old guy that won't be able to adjust to the modern NFL. Hopefully he's taking notes on what's making younger offensive masterminds like McVay and Shanahan successful. 

Kubiak was Shanahan's boss for many years.  He doesn't need to take notes, he wrote the book.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Exactly my problem with this. We need a creative passing mind that can switch gears when the teams like Chicago and SF have completely shut down the run. The we get game scripted out of games.

Edited by twslhs20

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Well that can't be right

It is.  Perception is not always reality.  Just because there is a perception of the Vikings' offense being old, boring and ineffective doesn't make it so.  McVay, Shanahan and Stefanski/Kubiak all basically run the same system...and this year, the Vikings were right in the middle between them as far as effectiveness.  I think some of us are just too close to the situation to be objective about it.   

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With Zimmer, and Cousins, having another year, or more, left, keeping/promoting Kubiak was the only logical move for OC. 

Kubiak works well with Cousins because they both come from The Shanahan tree; Kirk from his time in Washington and Gary as his OC and running it in Hous, Balt, and Den.  And as listed in a the post above a lot of coaches from that system are ranked in the top ten, including Min's.

Just by being a consultant The Vikes offense has ranked fairly high with Kubiak running the whole shebang and KCs familiarity with the system the offense will get better.  Pair that with The Vikings defense and the the team will be a nightmare to play next season. 

And to prove it just looks at Kubiak's credentials  his offenses have ranked outstandingly wherever he's coached. 

The offense will be interesting next year. Kubiak obviously helped prepare the offense and work on the game plan last year, but Stefanski was the one calling the plays. And I can’t help but believe that Stefanski’s play calling was heavily influenced by Zimmer. With Kubiak, even though he and Zimmer appear to share a lot of philosophical views with offense, Kubiak won’t have any issue with pushing back against what Zimmer wants if he doesn’t believe it’ll work. And we may even see Zimmer take a hands off approach with Kubiak like he did with Norv Turner. 

• Like 2