Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

Just now, SemperFeist said:

The offense will be interesting next year. Kubiak obviously helped prepare the offense and work on the game plan last year, but Stefanski was the one calling the plays. And I can’t help but believe that Stefanski’s play calling was heavily influenced by Zimmer. With Kubiak, even though he and Zimmer appear to share a lot of philosophical views with offense, Kubiak won’t have any issue with pushing back against what Zimmer wants if he doesn’t believe it’ll work. And we may even see Zimmer take a hands off approach with Kubiak like he did with Norv Turner. 

I would expect that to definitely be the case.  He did it with both Norv and Pat.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is.  Perception is not always reality.  Just because there is a perception of the Vikings' offense being old, boring and ineffective doesn't make it so.  McVay, Shanahan and Stefanski/Kubiak all basically run the same system...and this year, the Vikings were right in the middle between them as far as effectiveness.  I think some of us are just too close to the situation to be objective about it.   

They run the same scheme, but it’s what and when they call certain types of plays and the situations they’re in that separates them. 

The Vikings offense this past year was far too conservative, far too often. 

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It is.  Perception is not always reality.  Just because there is a perception of the Vikings' offense being old, boring and ineffective doesn't make it so.  McVay, Shanahan and Stefanski/Kubiak all basically run the same system...and this year, the Vikings were right in the middle between them as far as effectiveness.  I think some of us are just too close to the situation to be objective about it.   

I was being sarcastic. There has been a very negative vibe about the offense lately

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I would expect that to definitely be the case.  He did it with both Norv and Pat.  

Zimmer just needs to mature as a coach and realize you can control the clock through the passing game. Running Cook to 3 yards per carry doesn’t sustain drives. Trusting Thielen and Diggs to move the chains is the better option.

• Like 7

Was absolutely THRILLED to see Stefanski be hired away, I would've fired him in San Francisco. All the things that we loved about the offense seemed to have the Kubiak fingerprints on them, getting Stefanski out of the way should be great going forward.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer just needs to mature as a coach and realize you can control the clock through the passing game. Running Cook to 3 yards per carry doesn’t sustain drives. Trusting Thielen and Diggs to move the chains is the better option.

While I agree with your assessment, the fact remains we need more talented offensive linemen!  I sure hope we draft at least 2 with our round 1-4 draft picks.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The exodus continues. 

I feel like we’re going to look back at this in a few years and say we kept Zimmer one year to long. 

STAHP. Our team will continue to compete.

Edited by SteelKing728
I don't even care if you're being sarcastic! Haha

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

This 100%...I said after the Saints game that even though the team won the game, the approach they used on offense isn't sustainable....against Saints, Vikings converted on something like 10/17 on 3rd down conversions, lot of them were 3rd & medium, 3rd & long 3rd down situations which came as a result of inefficient runs on early downs. This kind of approach isn't gonna work everytime. And as expected, it failed bigtime vs Niners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

While I agree with your assessment, the fact remains we need more talented offensive linemen!  I sure hope we draft at least 2 with our round 1-4 draft picks.

The running game is more reliant on blocking then the passing game...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, golf333333 said:

Was absolutely THRILLED to see Stefanski be hired away, I would've fired him in San Francisco. All the things that we loved about the offense seemed to have the Kubiak fingerprints on them, getting Stefanski out of the way should be great going forward.

Even if Stefanski (or Kubiak) had called a perfect game, the Vikings were not going to beat the 49'er's.  We match up against them pretty well with the exception of offensive and defensive lines.  Theirs are significantly better than ours, and they beat the crap out of us and the Packers.  I don't think the Vikings ever had a chance.  Until the Vikings are able to hold their own in the trenches, teams with better line play will usually win.

This was a great hire.

Gary is a good play-caller who calls a balanced game. Not going to keep running into a brick wall or be pass-happy. Gary is someone Zimmer will trust to have full control of the offense. Zimmer doesn't want to run the offense but Flip was so bad and put Zim defense in so many bad situations. Zim just went conservative on offense. You cannot win a Superbowl with a run, run, pass, punt play good defense score 17 points total scheme. Lastly, Zim defense is better when he can focus more on the defensive side.   

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, upriser7 said:

This 100%...I said after the Saints game that even though the team won the game, the approach they used on offense isn't sustainable....against Saints, Vikings converted on something like 10/17 on 3rd down conversions, lot of them were 3rd & medium, 3rd & long 3rd down situations which came as a result of inefficient runs on early downs. This kind of approach isn't gonna work everytime. And as expected, it failed bigtime vs Niners.

Yeah it gets frustrating to see them keep trying to establish the run when it's clear it's not going to work.

Like the San Fran game as you mentioned, it failed early and never got on track despite the constant effort to establish the run. It's not going to work every week and there's games where we're going to have to go into the second quarter and tell Kirk that it's his game the rest of the way. Unfortunately the passing game couldn't get it done either so it's kind of a moot point.

I, just like a lot of people, want to see more passes on first down to bring up more 2nd and shorts rather than the constant 2nd and longs when the run isn't working. I know it's cliche to say that all the Vikings do is the run-run-pass offense but it's not too far off.

If we're giving Kirk all this money, all this money to the man who was supposed to put us over the hump, there's ZERO reason we have to have the 3rd fewest passing attempts in the league.

I wonder if we’ll see any news about Kennedy Polamalu being retained or let go? Polamalu was brought in under JDF. And although I’m not sure he’s necessarily a JDF guy, is he a Kubiak guy?

With Petzing leaving as WR coach, his replacement will no doubt be someone that Kubiak wants, which would make the RB coach the only position on the offensive staff that’s not a Kubiak guy. 

41 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder if we’ll see any news about Kennedy Polamalu being retained or let go? Polamalu was brought in under JDF. And although I’m not sure he’s necessarily a JDF guy, is he a Kubiak guy?

With Petzing leaving as WR coach, his replacement will no doubt be someone that Kubiak wants, which would make the RB coach the only position on the offensive staff that’s not a Kubiak guy. 

Polamalu is neither a JDF guy or a Kubiak guy...and actually he was brought in under Shurmur.  He's actually more of a Rick Neuheisel/Pete Carroll guy.  

Edited by swede700

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Polamalu is neither a JDF guy or a Kubiak guy...and actually he was brought in under Shurmur.  He's actually more of a Rick Neuheisel/Pete Carroll guy.  

Point was that he’s not a Kubiak guy, and it’ll be interesting to see if Kubiak brings in someone he’s worked with before, or if Polamalu stays. Providing that his contract expired like the over assistant coaches.