Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

Cousins talked about the offensive coordinator change from Kevin Stefanski to Gary Kubiak. He said he was thankful that there won’t be too much change to the offense because Kubiak was on hand last season, which should help the team “get on the same page as quickly as possible” so that they can win enough games early in the year that they avoid being on the road in the playoffs again next season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/kirk-cousins-hopes-loss-to-49ers-galvanizes-vikings/

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I didn't know exactly where to put this in our existing threads, but this is a pretty telling graph of Mr. Kubiak's offense this year...

I don't think Zimmer is guiltless here. For years, he's wanted to be a run first team. 

the run first, play defense died the second the NFL got QBs like Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Allen, etc. and these high-powered offenses that can score in 2 minutes like a warm knife through butter and you're down 21-3 before you can blink.

That strategy can perhaps get you to the playoffs and MAYBE win a game but it's laughable how far we are behind these offenses that have 4-5 top tier weapons to the point where it's impossible to contain them for 60 minutes. I understand that we've had a couple nice comebacks under Kirk/Zimmer but this offense isn't built to play from 14 down or keep pace with the top offenses in the league which means we'll never truly compete for a Super Bowl unless we do get an offense where we can keep pace.

We have two great WRs, a top-5 RB, a TE that can stretch the field but we don't have a QB or a coach to use those weapons like they SHOULD be used. Isn't that why Diggs wanted out?

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

the run first, play defense died the second the NFL got QBs like Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Allen, etc. and these high-powered offenses that can score in 2 minutes like a warm knife through butter and you're down 21-3 before you can blink.

That strategy can perhaps get you to the playoffs and MAYBE win a game but it's laughable how far we are behind these offenses that have 4-5 top tier weapons to the point where it's impossible to contain them for 60 minutes. I understand that we've had a couple nice comebacks under Kirk/Zimmer but this offense isn't built to play from 14 down or keep pace with the top offenses in the league which means we'll never truly compete for a Super Bowl unless we do get an offense where we can keep pace.

We have two great WRs, a top-5 RB, a TE that can stretch the field but we don't have a QB or a coach to use those weapons like they SHOULD be used. Isn't that why Diggs wanted out?

I thought you were going to say it died the moment that the Vikings drafted Randy.  I still see teams like the Titans and Steelers (although they can at times) that don't fling the ball all around the yard and still win plenty of games.  While it may not be the prevalent style, it still can be successful...and can be effective.  And you bring up Jackson...last I checked, Baltimore isn't a high-powered offense.  They are clearly a run-first team...as is Arizona.  The difference is that they have QBs who act more like RBs who can throw the ball a little. If the Vikings can manage to get a guy like that (which clearly Kirk is not), maybe they can be like that. 

That's possibly why Case Keenum was so effective here. Sure, it was clear that Zimmer wasn't immensely fond of the "off-schedule" stuff that Case did, but he was fine with the way Teddy did it, since Teddy was mobile within the scope of the offense and didn't basically throw 50-50 balls every play.