Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Chad Graff of the Athletic believes it's almost guaranteed that Stefanski gets a HC job after the season, but he did say one thing that kind of surprised me...that if Stef does get a job, the favorite for the OC job here is not Gary Kubiak, but in fact, his son Klint.  I personally think that's a stretch, considering Klint's only 32 and he has only been a solo QB coach for a couple of years (he was Musgrave's assistant QB coach in Denver until late in 2017, when Musgrave was promoted to OC mid-season).  If they don't go out of the organization for the replacement OC, I'd almost guarantee that it's Dennison that gets promoted to OC (Gary will stay in his same role) and Andrew Janocko would get promoted to full-time OL coach.  Janocko has been the assistant OL coach for 5 years now...it's his time to get promoted.  

I've wondered about the same, to be honest. 

He might not have the track record, but he's put in his time as a coach over the years. I actually could see Stefanski trying to steal him though to be his OC.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

And him being an offensive minded coach would likely suggest he’d bring in his own scheme and not learn a new one, wouldn’t that be fair to assume?

I feel that Shurmer was one to adapt to what his players were good at. That seems to be how Keenum had the year he did in 2017. If Shurmer came back to the Vikings as OC I have no doubt that he would work with any of the holdover staff to build on is clearly working with the current personnel. New wrinkles, definitely. Total overhaul, I don't see it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, swede700 said:

It's not really practice, considering he interviewed with them last year.

Right, which to this day is his ONLY interview for a HC position. 

Why would a 1st time HC want to go to the Browns? Like you've been saying all along, if he's smart, he'd wait for a more ideal opportunity.

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Right, which to this day is his ONLY interview for a HC position. 

Why would a 1st time HC want to go to the Browns? Like you've been saying all along, if he's smart, he'd wait for a more ideal opportunity.

Agree...hopefully that is the case.  I fall along the lines of what @vikesfan89 said...if they're smart this time, they'll take McDaniels, because they'll need someone with a big name who can keep the players interested.  But, also I imagine it won't end well either...there hasn't been a Belichick disciple that has had any real success long-term. I suspect Patricia will be the next one on the chopping block.

The 1 advantage a first time time head coach would have is that when they failed, they'd likely get another chance. I don't know if McDaniels would get another chance if this goes badly.

I do think he can be a good head coach but I think he'd need to be paired up with a good gm 

56 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The 1 advantage a first time time head coach would have is that when they failed, they'd likely get another chance. I don't know if McDaniels would get another chance if this goes badly.

That's not really true, as it all depends upon how they fail.  Over the last 20 years, the Vikings will had 4 different first-time head coaches...and the 3 that were fired will never have another chance.  

McDaniels is pretty lucky at getting a 2nd chance if he gets it, considering how the Denver thing ended and the way he handled the Colts' situation.

Edited by swede700

I am still undecided about Stefanski...It's just really hard to evaluate after 1 season, I don't know how much Kubiak's influence is there in play calling and also I am not sure how much Stefanski (or is it Zimmer's influence?) has to do with conservative play calling in end of games

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I am still undecided about Stefanski...It's just really hard to evaluate after 1 season, I don't know how much Kubiak's influence is there in play calling and also I am not sure how much Stefanski (or is it Zimmer's influence?) has to do with conservative play calling in end of games

As the HC, it's definitely Zim's responsibility to indicate to Stefanski how he wants it to play out.