Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

He also had the #1 defense, a top 10 performing offensive line helping him out. 

Good point on the defense, but don’t you think he had something to do with the line play? And how much better was the defense because the offense could sustain drives?

16 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Good point on the defense, but don’t you think he had something to do with the line play? And how much better was the defense because the offense could sustain drives?

I mean it could be part of it. Could be Tony Sparano was a good coach also. 

2017:
Time of Possession Ave: 32:07, rank #3

Offensive Points per Game Ave: 22.9, rank #7

2019:

Time of Possession Ave: 28:38, rank #27

Offensive Points per Game Ave: 24.1, rank #7

in reality, the NFL is scoring more points, and we still were ranked #7 under Stefanski while our time of possession dropped by 3:27 per game. 

that basically comes out to 55.2 minutes this season that our defense was on the field. The defense basically played a whole extra game this year compared to the offense. 

37 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

That’s you’re opinion, but he was part of coaching staff that went 13-3 with Case Keenum as QB. The Vikings had success with him.

If he was so great he would have never been fired as a head coach but he was.  Fact is Zimmer loved bringing in Kubiak and loves running the ball for obvious defensive reasons, only way they do not just continue that is if Kubiak and or one from his coach tree declines the position.  Only way Shurmur is brought back I feel is if it is a total last resort, and yes it is just my opinion only.  

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I mean it could be part of it. Could be Tony Sparano was a good coach also. 

2017:
Time of Possession Ave: 32:07, rank #3

Offensive Points per Game Ave: 22.9, rank #7

2019:

Time of Possession Ave: 28:38, rank #27

Offensive Points per Game Ave: 24.1, rank #7

in reality, the NFL is scoring more points, and we still were ranked #7 under Stefanski while our time of possession dropped by 3:27 per game. 

that basically comes out to 55.2 minutes this season that our defense was on the field. The defense basically played a whole extra game this year compared to the offense. 

Wow, that time of position is the devil for any defensive minded coach and or person alive.  Awful control of the football, kind of surprising in a way considering they were much improved running the ball compared to 2018.  2019 they were 6th in total rush yards, 2018 they were 30th.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If he was so great he would have never been fired as a head coach but he was.  Fact is Zimmer loved bringing in Kubiak and loves running the ball for obvious defensive reasons, only way they do not just continue that is if Kubiak and or one from his coach tree declines the position.  Only way Shurmur is brought back I feel is if it is a total last resort, and yes it is just my opinion only.  

What does him being a head coach have to do with him being a coordinator?

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Wow, that time of position is the devil for any defensive minded coach and or person alive.  Awful control of the football, kind of surprising in a way considering they were much improved running the ball compared to 2018.  2019 they were 6th in total rush yards, 2018 they were 30th.  

Even last year our Time of Possession was 29:10.

Couple questions for you folks.

Pat Shurmur: outside of the Vikings year, what type offense did he run when he was with the Eagles? Was it dink and dunk? Or did he continue on with basically what Chip Kelly did? What happened this year? I thought I remembered some deep passing getting involved once Slayton came around? Was the Dink and Dunk just part of having Case Keenum and keeping him from becoming a turnover machine?

Also, outside of the Kubiaks & Shurmur, what are some better options you wish could come here that are actually realistic? Any College coach, Hue Jackson, some QB coach out there?

I'm fairly neutral on Shurmur. His time in New York and Cleveland doesn't stop me from wanting him though.

How good of terms did he and Zimmer leave ok? Some people think he mailed it in the last game and Zimmer stopped him from getting his OC of choice