Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

43 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I'm confused. It appears the Seahawks have changed offenses at the half. Is that allowed? You can change your plan if the first half doesn't work? Who knew?

I will say, something is weird about that there are numerous times under Zimmer where he changes how the defense is playing in the second half, does adjust and works plenty of times. (Obviously last game didn’t work)

but the offensive gameplan doesn’t seem to adjust all that often, it’s almost like it’s not allowed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I will say, something is weird about that there are numerous times under Zimmer where he changes how the defense is playing in the second half, does adjust and works plenty of times. (Obviously last game didn’t work)

but the offensive gameplan doesn’t seem to adjust all that often, it’s almost like it’s not allowed.

The biggest thing that I don't get about Zimmer is that when you look at his defense it's obvious that he gets it.

Defend the pass, develop your pass rushers rather than invest heavy, constantly adapting and evolving his scheme.

Yet on offense, for six years now, he's been so overly infatuated with building around the ground game.....i don't get it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The biggest thing that I don't get about Zimmer is that when you look at his defense it's obvious that he gets it.

Defend the pass, develop your pass rushers rather than invest heavy, constantly adapting and evolving his scheme.

Yet on offense, for six years now, he's been so overly infatuated with building around the ground game.....i don't get it

I mean I kind of get it. Typically he’s trying to win the time of possession. Keeping a fresh defense, keeping them healthy. When both are working you can win a lot of games. He knows running the ball wears out a defense. It’s just, it hasn’t worked when we really need it most.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I mean I kind of get it. Typically he’s trying to win the time of possession. Keeping a fresh defense, keeping them healthy. When both are working you can win a lot of games. He knows running the ball wears out a defense. It’s just, it hasn’t worked when we really need it most.

And I'm not sure it ever will.

At least not unless your defense is completely historic, which they already missed that opportunity most likely.

I think Zimmer is a really good head coach, but he has to come around on the idea that passing efficiency is the most important thing a team (yes the entire team) can have

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

And I'm not sure it ever will.

At least not unless your defense is completely historic, which they already missed that opportunity most likely.

I think Zimmer is a really good head coach, but he has to come around on the idea that passing efficiency is the most important thing a team (yes the entire team) can have

Tell that to the Titans. For the most part a strong run game coupled with a strong defense has always been a great formula to win. Just look at the past winners of the Super Bowl. They all had a strong run game and a strong defense.

7 hours ago, vikings209 said:

They all had a strong run game and a strong defense.

They also have a strong passing game. That’s generally why they’re in the Super Bowl, because they have a strong team all around. 

Overall, passing the ball to set up the run is not only the better strategy, it’s also the better way to take advantage of the current rules in the NFL. Yet it’s something that Zimmer has not embraced, and it has held this team back. 

Running they ball is important, but passing the ball is more important. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I would add that while that is his motive, he hasn't really invested in the personnel to make it happen.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Jason Garrett is an interesting option for Vikings OC. We know Garrett is a Parcels guy, and we know how close Zimmer and Parcels are. 

I personally would take him.  And it would make perfect sense, considering how Zimmer has operated in the past.  

13 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

Hey guys.  Remember me?  It's been a while since I was on this board (it was the old board actually).  I recognize a few names from back in the day --PrplChilPill for one.  So, what's been going on with the Vikings since I've been gone?  LOL

Welcome back...you probably wouldn't have remembered me, since I have a different screen name now...I was disaacs.  However, as you can guess, a lot has changed, especially in a few days.  :)

10 hours ago, vikings209 said:

Tell that to the Titans. For the most part a strong run game coupled with a strong defense has always been a great formula to win. Just look at the past winners of the Super Bowl. They all had a strong run game and a strong defense.

The Titans/Ravens game is almost, across the board, the perfect outlier game so I'm not sure it's a great example of how to build your team.

23 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The Titans/Ravens game is almost, across the board, the perfect outlier game so I'm not sure it's a great example of how to build your team.

I disagree.  There's a reason that the Steelers, Seahawks, Ravens, and Titans are always in the thick of it at year's end.  And it generally seems, that even those "pass-first" teams that win in the playoffs, win because of their rushing games and their defense.  We're not talking about the Chiefs being here in the AFC Championship Game, if it weren't for their defense making a dramatic improvement at the end of the season...and I'm not sure we'll even see them in the Super Bowl if they perform as poorly defensively as they did yesterday.  Hell, even the 49ers are really a run-first team.  There's multiple ways to get it done...but, in the end, the common denominator has been the lines.  The Vikings' offensive line hasn't been good enough when it matters.  

• Like 1