Offensive Coordinator Search: 2021 Edition

Kiwibrown

As much as I can't stand the guy, the Browns were playing great for Gregg Williams last year.  I suppose those bridges were burned...but, if not, I would admit the Kitchens mistake and hire the guy who probably should've had the job in the first place.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, vikesfan89 said:

I like stefanski as much as the guy but we went from him calling a "horrible" game to wanting him as head coach?

Don’t know where you heard that.  I said nothing of the sort and have personally wanted Stefanksi as Zimmer’s replacement since I can recall. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:25 AM, swede700 said:

I think some of you need to just answer the guy's question, instead of harping on whether he's the architect of the offense (which he is) or if Kubiak/Dennison is (Dennison is only in charge of the running game, just as Sparano was in previous regimes).  Let's not forget that McVay was surrounded by strong coaches too when he was working for the Shanahans, as well as eventually Jay Gruden, Bill Callahan, and Matt Cavanaugh and he managed to be a decent a head coach. 

I think with Stefanski's personality, he'll make a fine head coach.  While I'm not sure he's quite ready yet (as neither was Kitchens), in a couple of years, he will be.  I just hope he makes a smart decision and not take a head coaching job just to get a head coaching job, but rather wait for the right opportunity.  

We did answer him.  

I said I would rather him not go anywhere.  My explanation that I’d rather keep him should inform anyone that I find him to be best suited for the HC position. 

Maybe you should just answer directly yourself instead of telling other what they should and should not do. 

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Torchezim said:

We did answer him.  

I said I would rather him not go anywhere.  My explanation that I’d rather keep him should inform anyone that I find him to be best suited for the HC position. 

Maybe you should just answer directly yourself instead of telling other what they should and should not do. 

As you may have noticed, I did answer it directly.  However, I had to go through practically an entire page about people going back and forth about whether he's the architect of the offense or not.  Just answer the question with supporting evidence, that's all I ask, especially when it's someone coming from another forum just looking for an answer.  It's fine if you want to break down whether you believe he's the architect of the offense or not, as I'm not telling you not to post about it, but that's more suitable for the other thread (KSO thread), not this one. 

Edited by swede700

• 3 weeks later...

With some of the performances by some other teams, I feel it's going to be very, very likely that the Vikings will, once again, be looking for a new OC after the season.  And, at least to me, it seems like the best opportunity for Kevin would be the Falcons job.  I think he could do wonders for that team...as their team hasn't been the same since Kyle Shanahan left for San Francisco.  

9 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

If we lose Kevin Stefanski then we can always just bring Pat Shurmur back.

I’d rather promote Kubiak to OC if he wants the job. Shurmur is okay, wouldn’t have to worry about him leaving for a HC gig again since he won’t be getting that opportunity anymore.

• Like 1

While I don't think Kitchens should be given the axe yet (he's been improving in his playcalling over the back half of the season), this is all you need to know:

On 11/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, Torchezim said:

Hopefully he takes over for Zimmer next year.  I don’t want him to go anywhere.  

He probably can't manage both the offense and the defense at once and will need a great coordinator, but former HC like Ron Rivera and Dan Quinn may be floating around. He'd be a really solid hire for the Browns, but I would still think that there would be more growing pains to start the year, like the Browns have had with Kitchens.

On 11/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, Kiwibrown said:

Hey, i presume we are looking for a hc after this year, i hope so anyway. 

Stefanski was offered oc here i believe and was a strong candidate for hc. 

Do you gusy like him and do you thjnk he could be a hc?

I think it's possible he could make a good head coach, but I really can't say for sure at this point.  This is just his first year as just an OC, and while the offense has looked very good, I'm not sure how much of the credit goes to Stefanski and how much goes to Gary Kubiak.  On the positive side, he has been on the Vikings staff through a few different coaching staffs and has somehow managed to stay around as each successive head coach comes on.  Stefanski was here back when Brad Childress was the head coach and lived through his firing, and then through Leslie Frazier's tenure, and was also retained when Mike Zimmer came along six years ago.  You would think that a new coach would want to bring in all of their own people, but the fact that they all thought enough of him to keep him on is a point in his favor, IMO.  Another good thing about this is that he has worked all those different systems.

I think the general consensus of fans in this forum is that we all think highly of him.  Some on here would like to go with him over Mike Zimmer next year.  I'm not in that camp, but I think that if the Vikings decided to move on from Zimmer, we could probably do worse than Stefanski.  At the same time, if for some reason the Vikings decided to fire Mike Zimmer, I would be lobbying HARD to go after him as a head coach if I were a Brown's fan.  IMO, he is one of the better coaches in the league.

• Like 1