(Polls) Post-Broncos Game, What Happens to Freddie, Wilks, & More

Mind Character

Coaching search 2020  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If the Browns go at least 5-3 the rest of the season to get to 7-9 on the season, do you think Dorsey/the Haslams will fire Freddie?

• They SHOULD fire him, but they WON'T fire him.
    • They SHOULD fire him, and I believe they WILL fire him.
    • They SHOULD NOT fire him, but I believe they WILL fire him.
    • They SHOULD NOT fire him, and they WON"T fire him.
  2. 2. If We Fire Freddie Kitchens, Should We Keep Steve Wilks on Staff (Assuming the Next HC Wants to)?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm not sure yet, but I'm leaning yes.
    • I'm not sure yet, but I'm leaning no.
  3. 3. Is it a must that our next Head Coach have prior Sustained Winning/Successful Program Building Head Coach Experience (NFL/College)?

• No. It's not necessary.
    • Yes. It's necessary.

I didn't realize Cortes already made a future HC thread already... 

I'll let this thread become a One off Poll Thread, change the name of it, so @cortes02 thread can be the main "New Coaching Search Thread"

---------

I've made the point as have many others that last year's coaching search was at minimum a farce and at worst a travesty.

We fired our HC 8 games into the season and had half the season to come up with a finalist list of candidates to interview. The candidates ended up being: 1.) Gregg Williams, 2.) Brian Flores, 3.) Matt Eberflus, 4.) Jim Caldwell, 5.) Kevin Stefanski, 6.) Dan Campbell, 7.) Freddie Kitchens, 8.) Requested to interview but did not formally interview Nick Sirianni.

None for various reasons were thought to be elite program/culture leaders. All except for Gregg and Caldwell were inexperienced requiring a steep learning curve.

It seemed clear post-search: John Dorsey likely wanted to hire a first time coach who couldn't challenge his power and/or gain leverage to fire him like Andy Reid in KC, and/or key decision makers saw Freddie as their guy early and sought to interview candidates closer to his level of recent coordinator experience.

-----------

We have to buck two negatives trends in coaching hires/searches in the NFL if we're going to have any success going forward: 1.) We have to break free from narrowing our focus on seeking out the new shiny, hot-name coordinator as HC and assuming success as a coordinator will translate to success as a HC --AND-- 2.) We have to break free from the trend to simply hire NFL retreads just because they have NFL experience.

Maybe we luck out b/c there doesn't seem to be the new hot shiny coordinator in the league so maybe we won't be fooled into those false hope hires.

We need a proven elite program/culture leader head coach with the ability to hire an elite QB coach and OC.Likely, we'll have to turn our eyes away from the NFL when it comes to the HC position to get that culture leaders, but we can supplement that HC with NFL coaches on their staff to alleviate concerns.

Some Elite Program/Culture Leaders with Situational, Creative, & High-Level Program/Culture-Building Prowess (Multi-year trends not just based on current record/success):

Urban Meyer

Dan Mullen

Chris Peterson

David Shaw

Matt Rhule 

Matt Campbell

Pat Fitzgerald

Lincoln Riley

----

Being a Head Coach is so much more than X & O's. The coach has to be a visionary, a tactician, a creative administrator of a learning program for human beings of a wide-variety of personalities and sensibilities, the HC has to be an elite worker, they have to surround themselves with creative genius, they have to command respect for daily progression through an engaging habit-training systematic program, and so much more.

These HC's get paid multiple millions of dollars and don't have to step on the field of play so what sets them apart are their habits of thought and behavior, their analysis and problem-solving acumen, and their ability to lead/set an agenda for a big group of human beings who then feel compelled to follow through with the plan. We have the attractive talent that many coaches would love to coach.

The candidates need to be able to prove that they can get an elite staff around them. We have to be able to finally get an elite program/culture leader HC... one that is elite at the things that make great head coaches even if they aren't directly calling defensive, offensive, special teams plays

Edited by Mind Character

Without reading your post yet, if we want to win with landry, obj, myles, and baker we will neded someone who can coach multi millionaire playboys  because that is what they are. 

Im not sure who that is, maybe lincoln riley, or dabo, but they are likely too big from ne ohio. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Freddie should be fired

Wilks has been fine, it be nice if he got support from the offense

i want a proven HC. I don’t care if it’s from being a previous HC like McCarthy or a college guy. Just a dude who knows what he is doing. 

Mccarthy not calling the plays 

20 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

assuming Freddie is on 4 million per year.

If we watn a college super coach, say Saban,  Dabo or Lincoln. We will have to pay probably 10 million per year. 

14 million on head coaches. 

if we get a super coach like that Dorsey has a less power. 

In a million years, those guys aren't coming to the Browns without having full control, especially Saban and Dabo.

Riley is a king in Oklahoma. He's not leaving that cushy job for Baker or anyone imo.

49 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

In a million years, those guys aren't coming to the Browns without having full control, especially Saban and Dabo.

Riley is a king in Oklahoma. He's not leaving that cushy job for Baker or anyone imo.

I dont think he is a lock to always stay at OU. Dude could get absolutely stupid money in the NFL. He is good enough and young enough that if he flames out in the NFL, he can go get another legit college coaching position and be great like Saban did. What he has done at Oklahoma with Baker Murray and Hurts, the dude will always be wanted 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

assuming Freddie is on 4 million per year.

If we watn a college super coach, say Saban,  Dabo or Lincoln. We will have to pay probably 10 million per year. 

14 million on head coaches. 

if we get a super coach like that Dorsey has a less power. 

Does that truly matter? If it has turned into a success with Baker playing to his potential and the coach being legit what more or what power does Dorsey really need? He has his QB and the coach, not he can just focus on evaluating players. He would have all the hard things accomplished

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I dont think he is a lock to always stay at OU. Dude could get absolutely stupid money in the NFL. He is good enough and young enough that if he flames out in the NFL, he can go get another legit college coaching position and be great like Saban did. What he has done at Oklahoma with Baker Murray and Hurts, the dude will always be wanted 

You're right that he could go back to college after an unsuccessful NFL stint and still be wanted.  You could be right in that Lincoln might leave OU, but the NFL's money advantage doesn't really exist anymore.

Top NFL coaches make 7-12 million.  Only Belichick, Pete Carroll, Jon Gruden, Sean Payton, Andy Reid, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin make at least 7 million. Most top coaches contracts are 5 years in length. Only the elite of the elite get contracts longer than 5 years. Currently, Riley makes around 6 million per year and is scheduled on a 5 year contract to make 32 Million total in salary.

t's doubtful that Lincoln Riley comes into any franchise and gets paid more than that elite bunch though there have been Cowboys rumors that they could give him the 10 million dollar golden offer. 

If Jerry were to give him 9 million a year for 5 years that's 45 million. It's been reported that the OU Board of trustees will seek to up the money and term length of Lincoln's current contract to keep him from the NFL. That contract is thought to be a fully guaranteed 8 year contract length.

He could leave but he might get more money in college due to forthcoming contract length and the stability.

Will be interesting to see what it would take to get him to leave OU.