Coach's Halftime Thoughts - Week 1

Dallas94Ware

13 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Hope you don't mind me throwing these in here, Coach. 

• I was really impressed by Awuzie. He's certainly looking to be a Byron Jones clone. I wouldn't overwhelm him too much this year, let him concentrate on one position...but it would be fun to get creative with him and Jones now and then down the road.
  • Lee was frustrating the heck out of Eli tonight and it was fun to watch.
  • Lawrence and Tapper stood out the most as far as the DEs go. Mayowa had some nice pressure, but didn't quite get there as often as he probably should have going against Flowers. 
  • Liked what I saw from Paea, think he'll be an upgrade over McClain. Maliek Collins showed up here and there, but I would have liked to have seen some bigger plays from him. Also saw Taco lining up as the 3T on a few drives. Interesting.

Paea got push consistently and shred his blocks most of time when he had to. He can be one of those consistent players inside. I dont think he will ever be one of those dinosaurs you have to gameplan around as an offense, but he can make his mark on this unit. He sometimes gets lost with his leverage and gets bottled up, but he can push his guy well when he gets his hips set and engages properly. He helped keep Lee clean on several of Lee's nicer plays.

2 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Williams was the benefactor of several clearing routes by Beasley. He caught the ball well and followed the blocks when present. Nothing flashy, but a consistent producer when he is called upon to take heat off of other areas.

I dont think we will ever see the rookie sensation Williams again, but a consistent guy who can route a good route tree, catch fairly well and help take pressure off of the others is certainly a nice thing. Ill be curious to see what he can do when he has to create his own space and make something happen on his own.

In this system, I believe he's just fine as our #2 receiver. Beasley will be our 2nd or most targeted WR but I view strict #2 receiver as the guy opposite of Dez. TWill is an elite blocker and aside from the inconsistencies he has been arguably our best WR in the playoffs our last 3 appearances. Now I say ARGUABLY.

System-wise, with Dez, Beasley, Witten, Butler (who I'm not a fan of), and then Switzer, Rico and Brown now added, I think Williams is a perfect "#2 option" for this team. I do wish they'd use him just like they did last night a lot more. A ton of short-mid targets and then a few bombs a game. I think this will be his best year as a pro.

I'm thinking (if this foot injury doesn't linger):

65 receptions

750 yards

6 TD

5 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

In this system, I believe he's just fine as our #2 receiver. Beasley will be our 2nd or most targeted WR but I view strict #2 receiver as the guy opposite of Dez. TWill is an elite blocker and aside from the inconsistencies he has been arguably our best WR in the playoffs our last 3 appearances. Now I say ARGUABLY.

System-wise, with Dez, Beasley, Witten, Butler (who I'm not a fan of), and then Switzer, Rico and Brown now added, I think Williams is a perfect "#2 option" for this team. I do wish they'd use him just like they did last night a lot more. A ton of short-mid targets and then a few bombs a game. I think this will be his best year as a pro.

I'm thinking (if this foot injury doesn't linger):

65 receptions

750 yards

6 TD

He is a quality guy to play opposite of Dez. He does block well, and he sees the whole field which allows him to lay a key block or follow a key block. He has the short area sprint to break a short play into a big play, and he is a good all around player.

I still think, for the money paid to him, that there were other options. But considering his familiarity with the offense and how useful he has been as an all around tool, its hard not to justify his money on this team. 

I dont think it would be wise to target him  how you are saying, however. He has value to the team in many ways, but forcing him targets deep is not that one of them. Screens, clearing space for him in the short areas and letting him work them with vision and toughness, those are his best assets. He can work the sideline fairly well and he has the frame and ability to work deep, but he lacks the hands to make those opportunities pay off often enough to force them. He is a classic body catcher. Those types have trouble bringing in deep throws or hard sideline catches. He can do it. But not well enough or consistent enough to waste a down with a scripted play concept to get him those chances. Besides, that is what Dez is for.

Archived