Can we all please list a recap Freddie’s bad coaching moves

brownie man

I can’t remember everything so I was hoping we could all join in and list all Freddie’s moves to really see whether he should be fired or not. 

and just overall bad coaching, but specific decisions 

I’ll start

Titans Game: I don’t remember anything specific 

Jets game: 
1.  Throwing to Dontrell Hillard instead of running Nick Chubb on that one third down. 
2.  Letting Odell be out there with the wrong visor forcing the officials to make him sit out in the red zone  

Rams game:

1. Draw on 4th and 9

2.  Not giving Nick Chubb an opportunity at the goal line with 3 timeouts remaining. 

Ravens game: I can’t remember anything specific

49ers game. 
1.  Not getting to California a day early. 
2.  Not running Nick Chubb in the red zone 

Seahawks game. 
1.  Bad challenge 

Patriots game. 

1.  Shuffle pass in the rain

2. Not being prepared for the 4th down and having to take the penalty to go for it again on 4th and 16. 
3.  Bad challenges 

Denver game. 
1.  Not running Nick Chubb in the red zone. 
2.  Going for it on 4th and not kicking the field goal

3. Going for it  on fourth and leaving Hillard out there when if you are going to run the QB sneak putting Nick Chubb in makes more sense. 
4. Bad Challenge 

I'm not gonna name all the mistakes.  I'll give two that come to mind that happen each game.  We dont use Chubb correctly or dont use him in critical situations.  You cant run him every play we know that, but late in the game if I'm gonna lose I'm losing with my best on the field.  

We do not take any deep shots.   How can you last yr hit Landry and others up the seams and this year add OBJ and very rarely go up top.  

• Like 2

My biggest issue with Freddie is he doesn't seem to understand what his job is as head coach - he's still basically a coordinator. It's the head coaches job to put his team in the best position to win as it pertains to the clock, challenges, personnel, game planning, etc. The majority of NFL games are not won or lost based on the tiny details of each drive that takes place - they are won or loss based on how efficiently the team uses the 60 minutes available to them.

Perfect example is last game we are down 5 with 7:21 left. We have already burned 2 timeouts inexplicably. There will likely be two scenarios possession wise: CLE/DEN ball or CLE/DEN/CLE ball, irregardless of the results of the drives. Freddie should be trying to make sure we have time for 2 possessions in case something goes wrong on possession one. Instead we played with zero tempo, burned 4:02 and our last timeout and never got another shot with the ball.

This has happened ALL SEASON. How many times now have we not had our 3 timeouts at the end of a game? 

I'm also a firm believer that coaching stands out most inside the 20s. We have been horrid in the redzone and I blame our approaches from a play calling and coaching perspective.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

My biggest issue with Freddie is he doesn't seem to understand what his job is as head coach - he's still basically a coordinator. It's the head coaches job to put his team in the best position to win as it pertains to the clock, challenges, personnel, game planning, etc. The majority of NFL games are not won or lost based on the tiny details of each drive that takes place - they are won or loss based on how efficiently the team uses the 60 minutes available to them.

Perfect example is last game we are down 5 with 7:21 left. We have already burned 2 timeouts inexplicably. There will likely be two scenarios possession wise: CLE/DEN ball or CLE/DEN/CLE ball, irregardless of the results of the drives. Freddie should be trying to make sure we have time for 2 possessions in case something goes wrong on possession one. Instead we played with zero tempo, burned 4:02 and our last timeout and never got another shot with the ball.

This has happened ALL SEASON. How many times now have we not had our 3 timeouts at the end of a game? 

I'm also a firm believer that coaching stands out most inside the 20s. We have been horrid in the redzone and I blame our approaches from a play calling and coaching perspective.

The flip side of the timeout issue is we have a young QB.

If he’s thrown off by want he sees, I’d rather he burn a TO than try to wing it and create negative plays and/or turnovers.

I don’t disagree that he’s made some mistakes re: clock management, etc., but imo that’s not really why we’re losing.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The flip side of the timeout issue is we have a young QB.

If he’s thrown off by want he sees, I’d rather he burn a TO than try to wing it and create negative plays and/or turnovers.

I don’t disagree that he’s made some mistakes re: clock management, etc., but imo that’s not really why we’re losing.

While the timeout issue is frustrating as hell (dumb challenges in the 2nd half too) when to institute tempo is also a major issue IMO. He needs a guy on the sideline telling him the optimal ways to approach drives from a speed/passing perspective as well as telling him the ideal time to take timeouts at the end of games, go for it on 4th, go for 2, etc. Michigan for example has a coach who tells Harbaugh precisely that info. It's clear the browns are not doing so IMO.

Edited by bigjohnson2009

27 minutes ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

While the timeout issue is frustrating as hell (dumb challenges in the 2nd half too) when to institute tempo is also a major issue IMO. He needs a guy on the sideline telling him the optimal ways to approach drives from a speed/passing perspective as well as telling him the ideal time to take timeouts at the end of games, go for it on 4th, go for 2, etc. Michigan for example has a coach who tells Harbaugh precisely that info. It's clear the browns are not doing so IMO.

Agree there.

Ideally that guy is Freddie, that’s why a lot of HC hire a coordinator.  

I think Freddie could potentially be competent, but he’s bit off more than he can chew at this point (insert fat joke).

We need to be a "Run, run, run, run, deep play action shot, run, run, deep play action shot, bootleg flood, run, run" kind of team.

Instead, we are an RPO offense. The way to destroy the RPO is to show one look and then morph on the snap of the football. It kills the quick read and unfortunately, that is all that the RPO is good for.

And I don't know how many quick bubble screens we can throw before deciding to run a bubble & go. Or any double move, for that matter.

We look like an average high school offense. As a defensive coordinator, I can say that I'd love to play against the Browns offense.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We need to be a "Run, run, run, run, deep play action shot, run, run, deep play action shot, bootleg flood, run, run" kind of team.

Instead, we are an RPO offense. The way to destroy the RPO is to show one look and then morph on the snap of the football. It kills the quick read and unfortunately, that is all that the RPO is good for.

And I don't know how many quick bubble screens we can throw before deciding to run a bubble & go. Or any double move, for that matter.

We look like an average high school offense. As a defensive coordinator, I can say that I'd love to play against the Browns offense.

Even BUBBLE slant puts a lot of stress on your force defender. He can't play both the bubble and get into the slant window, and the MLB will have to plug the dive. There's no variation there stressing the force defender more than 1 way. It's an absolute embarrassment.