Jaguars to start Nick Foles

RaidersAreOne

This is the obvious, easy call.  The offensive struggles in London pretty much opened the door for this, and it's really not the worst thing.

Basically one of three things will happen:

1.Foles comes in and proves why he was given that megabucks contract.  The team gets the spark they need and goes on a run, chases the playoffs.

2.Foles comes in and sucks.  Done deal, close the book, experiment over.  Minshew comes riding in to the rescue once again with renewed vigor.

3.Foles comes in and is mediocre, or about the same as Minshew.  That would put the team on a trajectory to be eliminated from playoff contention sooner, rather than later...at which point, you bench Foles and Minshew comes back in to finish out the season.

Essentially...either it works...or it doesn't, and you haven't really lost anything.  It's kind of a no-lose situation, considering the situation the Jaguars are already in this year.

I understand the move, it's probably the right move in the spirit of "lets try to salvage the season!" but ultimately I don't think it's going to do that. Foles isn't going to fare well behind our line and Minshew needs more experience. If we lose another game or two I hope they go back to Gardner, because it'll hopefully be his team come next year. 

On 11/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, Jaguarfan said:

I understand the move, it's probably the right move in the spirit of "lets try to salvage the season!" but ultimately I don't think it's going to do that. Foles isn't going to fare well behind our line and Minshew needs more experience. If we lose another game or two I hope they go back to Gardner, because it'll hopefully be his team come next year. 

It’s not going to be his team next year either. It’ll be his team in 2021 barring Foles doesn’t win a SB either this yr or next yr. which will be a tall task. But it puts the Jags in a better situation from the stand point that it speeds up the process. It puts pressure on Foles to produce now. This situation is either going to make or break Foles. 

Everyone loves Minshew and thinks he should be a starter. But like I stated before he is 4-0 against competition and their combined record is 8-26. He is 0-4 against teams their combined record 24-10. It’s easy to look good against suspect teams. It was obvious as day leading into the Texans game where this was going. For everyone saying that Minshew should be allowed to play out the season on what accord? Before people say well Russell got to play over Flynn. 🤨 Ok cool but anyone following that situation knows, Russell clearly outplayed Flynn throughout camp and throughout the preseason. Where was that the case here? Did Minshew clearly out play Foles in camp? No. Did he outplay Foles in the preseason? No. Actually people were wondering if the Jags needed to sign another QB. So how is he a better QB than Foles? Because you saw him play over the last 8 games and Foles has been hurt? Last time you saw Foles what did he do? I think he got hurt throwing a strike to Chark. 

Add to that for the people saying you’re not going to the playoffs you might as well let Minshew take his lumps and let him play.. well Marrone’s job is on the line you can’t put your career in the hands of the rook and you have a viable veteran option. It’s that simple you can’t put your job in his hands for the aforementioned reasons. It’s probably the biggest reason Foles is back under center. It’s not about the money or if he is worried about Minshew’s development. If your job was on the line how many of you in Doug’s position would have the intestinal fortitude to put your job in the hands of Minshew? Jags needs to finish 5-2 to finish the season. He could become the starter next yr if the front office and coaching staff are replaced, then he could be unseated. But I don’t see any responsible GM or EVP looking at the cap and if both players are healthy where they would play Minshew unless he is clearly better than Foles in camp. That’s just the facts.

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

The team isn't in the playoff hunt. I read somewhere that they have about a 15% chance of making the playoffs...but in reality, I doubt the odds are even that good. Foles could play well...and if that's the case, that's a good thing. More than likely, the line won't be able to block for Foles and he'll either get hurt or not be very good. We'll enter the offseason with a real discussion of Minshew vs Foles. The best man will win out and start the season. I do think that Minshew has a good chance of being the guy for the future. There's not much of a huge downside to let Minshew back up and learn...like QB's use to do all the time before the past few seasons it seems. 

8 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The team isn't in the playoff hunt. I read somewhere that they have about a 15% chance of making the playoffs...but in reality, I doubt the odds are even that good. Foles could play well...and if that's the case, that's a good thing. More than likely, the line won't be able to block for Foles and he'll either get hurt or not be very good. We'll enter the offseason with a real discussion of Minshew vs Foles. The best man will win out and start the season. I do think that Minshew has a good chance of being the guy for the future. There's not much of a huge downside to let Minshew back up and learn...like QB's use to do all the time before the past few seasons it seems. 

The Jags have a 19% chance to make the playoffs. Foles is clutch historically down the the stretch his record per ESPN:

This is the Nick Foles time of year. In the last 4 seasons, Foles is 10-2 as a starter in November or later (including playoffs). That's the best winning percentage by a starting quarterback in that time.

QB PCT. W-L
ESPN Stats & Information
Nick Foles .833 10-2
Tom Brady .794 27-7
Andrew Luck .765 13-4

The combined record of the remaining teams on their schedule have records are 25-33 the only remaining team on their schedule with a winning record is the Colts. Texans still have games remaining against the Pats and Ravens. Tennessee still has the Chiefs and New Orleans. The Colts have the Saints remaining and the Jags can gain ground on them if they control their own destiny and can beat them twice. Will it be easy no but is it unfathomable? No. I’ll go on record saying the team will finish 5-2. I’ll say that now even with the proverbial 19% chance even with concerns about coaching, Oline, and horrendous linebacker play barring everyone remains relatively healthy.

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

The Jags have a 19% chance to make the playoffs. Foles is clutch historically down the the stretch his record per ESPN:

This is the Nick Foles time of year. In the last 4 seasons, Foles is 10-2 as a starter in November or later (including playoffs). That's the best winning percentage by a starting quarterback in that time.

QB PCT. W-L
ESPN Stats & Information
Nick Foles .833 10-2
Tom Brady .794 27-7
Andrew Luck .765 13-4

The combined record of the remaining teams on their schedule have records are 25-33 the only remaining team on their schedule with a winning record is the Colts. Texans still have games remaining against the Pats and Ravens. Tennessee still has the Chiefs and New Orleans. The Colts have the Saints remaining and the Jags can gain ground on them if they control their own destiny and can beat them twice. Will it be easy no but is it unfathomable? No. I’ll go on record saying the team will finish 5-2. I’ll say that now even with the proverbial 19% chance even with concerns about coaching, Oline, and horrendous linebacker play barring everyone remains relatively healthy.

Yeah.  I mean, i wouldn't exactly be banking on Foles saving the day here...but isn't it at least worth a shot?  With Minshew at the helm, this team isn't making the playoffs.  Probably isn't with Foles either, but can you honestly sit there and say it's better to not even try?  To not even bother finding out what you have in your big money Free Agent QB acquisition?  Especially when this has historically kinda been where Foles thrives, situationally.

If Foles can't replicate that kind of clutch late season success (and honestly, i doubt he can here)...at the very least, it kinda closes the door on this "competition" between the two guys.  You can go back to Minshew and just let it ride.  Just eliminates any nagging questions about whether or not Foles can get it done better.  Process of elimination.