Panthers place QB Cam Newton on IR

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude has like 3,600 more career rushing yards and 37 more rushing TDs though.  

12 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I mean you can also say that things would be a lot different if Cam had AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu at WR during those years. Can you name 1 WR that Cam had that are in the same caliber??? 

Cam Newton is a way better QB than Andy Dalton (when healthy and could run).  Just thought it was interesting how close their passing numbers are since they were both drafted in the same year, and now look like they might both be done with their current franchises (Dalton obviously more than Cam).

You guys actually think I'm defending Dalton?  I'm not that crazy...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

agreed, seems like a good fit.
But the bears have neither the cap space nor the draft capital to make it happen... without making several major moves
Cam is under contract for 2020, not sure why they would release him vs trade him

https://overthecap.com/player/cam-newton/1147/

On the surface yes, but a deeper look shows it's very do-able for CHI this offseason. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/chicago-bears/

The Bears have 16M in rollover this year so far, so that puts them into a 2020 balance of 12M.

Then, 4 easy cuts (1 is unfortunate, the other 3 are simply because the players aren't worth it) with cap savings:

G Kyle Long (unfortunate one, injuries have drained his talent) - 8.1M

WR Taylor Gabriel (they put Wims outside, and we see that slot WR Anthony Miller is already emerging) - 4.5M

RB Mike Davis (clearly an insurance policy signing pre-draft, before they moved up to get David Montgomery) - 3M

WR Codarelle Patterson (gadget guy they don't need anymore) - 5.25M

Add it up, and boom the Bears have almost 33M in cap room.   So more than enough to get Cam and his 18-20M "prove-it" salary in (or likely a 2-year deal with an option to push some of it to 2021, and let them address IOL).   

IMO the bigger Q is more whether GM Ryan Pace will just own up to his awful, awful mistake here and consider Trubisky a sunk cost, and make him a very expensive (draft capital wise) backup QB to Cam next year.   From a fit and need perspective on BOTH sides, it's a match made in heaven.    Cam has his flaws, but his ability to pose a running threat would make Nagy's O hum again, without having to make him the centerpiece (Burton as the Greg Olsen, and A-Rob as the main X receiver, and Miller as the slot outlet weapon, with Monty/Cohen as his RPO buddies).

Now, Cam's also still under contract - so the Q is, what do the Bears give up to get Cam?   If the Panthers aren't greedy, and ask for a 4th like BAL did with Flacco (a hug overpay by Elway, but whatever), then it's all good.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

agreed, seems like a good fit.
But the bears have neither the cap space nor the draft capital to make it happen... without making several major moves
Cam is under contract for 2020, not sure why they would release him vs trade him

https://overthecap.com/player/cam-newton/1147/

Doubt any team trades for Cam at his $19M salary due under contract for 2020.

More likely he gets released since the dead cap hit is only $2M. 

48 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Cam Newton is a way better QB than Andy Dalton (when healthy and could run).  Just thought it was interesting how close their passing numbers are since they were both drafted in the same year, and now look like they might both be done with their current franchises (Dalton obviously more than Cam).

You guys actually think I'm defending Dalton?  I'm not that crazy...

Unfortunately both of these guys are being talked about as options to replace Mitch Trubisky next year.  Man the life of a Bears fan having to deal with crap at the QB position for what seems like forever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

On the surface yes, but a deeper look shows it's very do-able for CHI this offseason. 

The Bears have 16M in rollover this year so far, so that puts them into a 2020 balance of 12M.

Then, 4 easy cuts (1 is unfortunate, the other 3 are simply because the players aren't worth it) with cap savings:

WR Taylor Gabriel (they put Wims outside, and we see that slot WR Anthony Miller is already emerging) - 4.5M

RB Mike Davis (clearly an insurance policy signing pre-draft, before they moved up to get David Montgomery) - 3M

Add it up, and boom the Bears have almost 33M in cap room.   So more than enough to get Cam and his 18-20M "prove-it" salary in (or likely a 2-year deal with an option to push some of it to 2021, and let them address IOL).   

IMO the bigger Q is more whether GM Ryan Pace will just own up to his awful, awful mistake here and consider Trubisky a sunk cost, and make him a very expensive (draft capital wise) backup QB to Cam next year.   From a fit and need perspective on BOTH sides, it's a match made in heaven.    Cam has his flaws, but his ability to pose a running threat would make Nagy's O hum again, without having to make him the centerpiece (Burton as the Greg Olsen, and A-Rob as the main X receiver, and Miller as the slot outlet weapon, with Monty/Cohen as his RPO buddies).

Now, Cam's also still under contract - so the Q is, what do the Bears give up to get Cam?   If the Panthers aren't greedy, and ask for a 4th like BAL did with Flacco (a hug overpay by Elway, but whatever), then it's all good.

You are assuming that Cam is not a broken player that hasn't taken a beating for his entire NFL career and still has juice left in the tank to be that dual threat QB we all remeber him as.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he retires ala Andrew Luck after this season.  His body language nowadays looks like his head's no longer in the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagles $5$ said:

I mean you can also say that things would be a lot different if Cam had AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu at WR during those years. Can you name 1 WR that Cam had that are in the same caliber??? 

Cam had Steve Smith for three years with juice left in the tank. Not saying Andy was better, but yeah, Cam did have someone for a little while. Also Greg Olsen. 

45 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You are assuming that Cam is not a broken player that hasn't taken a beating for his entire NFL career and still has juice left in the tank to be that dual threat QB we all remeber him as.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he retires ala Andrew Luck after this season.  His body language nowadays looks like his head's no longer in the game.

The biggest issue is if the shoulder is ok.   The midfoot sprain will either need surgery or it will settle down.  But either way it shouldn’t be a 2020 issue.  

The shoulder is the big Q Mark.   That’s undeniable.  As for Cam’s role as runner from a CHI RPO perspective I don’t think it will amount to more than 5-6 runs a game for Cam.   That’s what I’d envision for a Cam O with Nagy.   If the shoulder is good - that’s in play.   If the shoulder isn’t then it’s all for naught.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Honestly, Cam is probably too ignorant to retire. Just like he's been too ignorant to avoid getting hurt...

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

4 easy cuts (1 is unfortunate, the other 3 are simply because the players aren't worth it) with cap savings:

Add it up, and boom the Bears have almost 33M in cap room.

There are always ways to make the cap work, but this one is pretty tight...

CHI would have to eat some cap space for those released players, somewhere around $ 4 M in dead money
They only have 37 players under contract for the cap numbers you cited. Even at league minimum, they'll need another $ 7-8 M to hit the 51 player threshold
(They won't have to spend as much on their draft class though)  They need operating cash to get through the 2020 season $7 M

Add those up and we can subtract 18M from your 33 M number and that leaves only $ 15 M to pay Cam. That's probably doable on a multi-year deal, but its not enough to cover his current 2020 salary.

I'm not sure Cam is going to want a 1 year prove-it deal (his current contract) and not sure CHI is willing to make that move either. I think both parties are going to want a longer commitment, with some upside for Cam if he's all the way back. Shared risk
Best guess is that Cam wants a 2- 3 yr extension and some guaranteed signing bonus money up front.

The going rate for NFL QBs is $ 22 M/yr for Foles and Flacco in recent deals, Cam is going to want at least that.
(All of this is predicated on a full recovery and a great workout)

If Newton is available, the Bears won't be the only bidder for his services and they currently don't have a 3rd or a 4th in 2020.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

What???

Dumb.

He is saying that cam was foolish to hide the injuries from the Panthers and try to play through a goddamn lisfranc injury in his foot this year.

he was also was foolish enough to continue to play last season when it was painfully obvious that his shoulder was seriously injured. 

Ignorant was the wrong word, but the fact remains, cam has been his own worst enemy thinking he is Superman 

I'm really disappointed, mainly because I wanted him to take the job back from Allen and go on to finish the season well so the Panthers wouldn't trade him away in 2020. I want absolutely nothing to do with Cam Newton as the next Bears QB.