Ravens Rundown: Week1

coordinator0

Joe Flacco threw jump balls to Anquan Boldin in 2012 hot take alert. No s_ he threw jump balls to a big, incredibly physical wide receiver who could rarely separate since he was by far the slowest WR in the league at the time. It was the correct (only) way to use Anquan Boldin. 

Sometimes you have to adjust to the receivers you are throwing to, and it's dumb to complain about something that worked as well as the Boldin connection in 2012. He wasn't throwing jump balls to Mike Wallace last year. Perriman is probably the guy to see jump balls on the current roster. He reeled in a few last year, and will hopefully continue to improve that. 

Nobody is talking about jump balls, we're talking about throwing off of his back foot.  I simply said he's done it for years, including 2012, it was just that 2012 Boldin was able to make incredible plays.  I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

The implication with "Boldin was able to make incredible plays" is that he was throwing jump balls in contested coverage. 

A QB will throw off his backfoot if there is pressure coming up the middle and he is backing away from it. Not going to happen if he gets consistent clean pockets.

I really don't know what you're trying to argue.  I honestly don't.  The original topic was that Flacco seems to throw off of his back foot a lot, that it seems like he's made it a habit and that the poster didn't think he'd get back to 2012 form.  I said that Flacco was doing that even in 2012, it was just in 2012 it worked out for him because he had a WR who could make great plays for him.  Where do you disagree exactly?

22 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The implication with "Boldin was able to make incredible plays" is that he was throwing jump balls in contested coverage. 

A QB will throw off his backfoot if there is pressure coming up the middle and he is backing away from it. Not going to happen if he gets consistent clean pockets.

Regardless of what happens, a QB throwing off of his back foot is not something that generally leads to good things. Certainly you agree? And I think we've all seen our fair share of Joe throwing off his back foot with minimal or no pressure coming at him.

9 hours ago, beezee said:

I really don't know what you're trying to argue.  I honestly don't.  The original topic was that Flacco seems to throw off of his back foot a lot, that it seems like he's made it a habit and that the poster didn't think he'd get back to 2012 form.  I said that Flacco was doing that even in 2012, it was just in 2012 it worked out for him because he had a WR who could make great plays for him.  Where do you disagree exactly?

Because with the bolded part you imply, that it was Boldin who made the play. Boldin jumped up/went in front of etc. the defensive player to catch the ball. The ball was placed where it should be placed.

The difference is that with Boldin we had the receiver who continuosly made those plays, just like Steve Smith did, but most of the time Joe had not had that receiver.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

Because with the bolded part you imply, that it was Boldin who made the play. Boldin jumped up/went in front of etc. the defensive player to catch the ball. The ball was placed where it should be placed.

The difference is that with Boldin we had the receiver who continuosly made those plays, just like Steve Smith did, but most of the time Joe had not had that receiver.

Except I'm not implying that, you're reading into something that isn't there.  I'm not talking about ball placement at all, I'm talking about Joe throwing off of his back foot.  In regards to Boldin, I'm only stating what you're stating with your second sentence - that we had a WR who was about to continuously make those types of plays and as a result, Joe throwing off of his back foot did not seem as much of an issue because it worked out with favorable results.  But, nonetheless, Joe did still throw off of his back foot quite a bit in 2012 just like he does today.  It's simply not something that's newly seen.

4 hours ago, beezee said:

Except I'm not implying that, you're reading into something that isn't there.  I'm not talking about ball placement at all, I'm talking about Joe throwing off of his back foot.  In regards to Boldin, I'm only stating what you're stating with your second sentence - that we had a WR who was about to continuously make those types of plays and as a result, Joe throwing off of his back foot did not seem as much of an issue because it worked out with favorable results.  But, nonetheless, Joe did still throw off of his back foot quite a bit in 2012 just like he does today.  It's simply not something that's newly seen.

You specifically wrote, that we had players like Boldin, who bailed Flacco out. That is the thing we are stating is wrong. If something, Flacco has hardly been bailed out by his receivers any more than other quarterbacks. Most recognize this hence the receivers and tight ends he has had through his career. Steve Smith and Boldin did it, but so does many other receivers who are in their prime.

We are not stating, that Flacco doesn't throw off his back foot, but we are denoting that he is bailed out by his wide receivers as you stated.

22 minutes ago, Danand said:

You specifically wrote, that we had players like Boldin, who bailed Flacco out. That is the thing we are stating is wrong. If something, Flacco has hardly been bailed out by his receivers any more than other quarterbacks. Most recognize this hence the receivers and tight ends he has had through his career. Steve Smith and Boldin did it, but so does many other receivers who are in their prime.

We are not stating, that Flacco doesn't throw off his back foot, but we are denoting that he is bailed out by his wide receivers as you stated.

I specifically said he was bailed out by Boldin during the 2012 run with many of his throws off of his back foot.  That's it.  Which is what you seem to agree with, no?

17 minutes ago, beezee said:

I specifically said he was bailed out by Boldin during the 2012 run with many of his throws off of his back foot.  That's it.  Which is what you seem to agree with, no?

No flacco throw the ball for boldin to make a play, boldin didnt bail flacco out.. Come on you can knock flacco all you want, but that 2012 playoff run was on his shoulders. 

I wonder how many times Big Bens receivers has bailed him out, Santonio Holmes in the super bowl or Antonio Brown in every game. Oooh, I guess those are just amazing throws created by Big Ben and his mobility and way to maneuvre in and outside the pocket..

Just now, Danand said:

I wonder how many times Big Bens receivers has bailed him out, Santonio Holmes in the super bowl or Antonio Brown in every game. Oooh, I guess those are just amazing throws created by Big Ben and his mobility and way to maneuvre in and outside the pocket..

Exactly, Ben played like crap against the browns, but watch the highlights. He throws into triple coverage and somehow AB comes down with the ball.. And this happens all the time

My goodness, maybe I'm not wording this correctly but the amount of people taking this the wrong way is insane to me.

Here, let me re-word it...

Original post:  "It seems as though Joe has made a habit of throwing off of his back foot.  I'm nervous he won't return to 2012 form again."

Me:  "He actually did it in 2012 too, he just happened to have the WRs who could win contested balls and therefore we didn't notice it as much."

Is that better?  Is it just a semantics thing that I said "bail him out"?  I'm not criticizing Joe in the least, I'm simply pointing out that he's thrown off his back foot for years, including his 2012 run and that it's not a "new thing".  Yet people are arguing as if I'm saying Joe's run wasn't crap and it was all his WRs.  I'm not saying anything even close to that.  My goodness.

5 minutes ago, beezee said:

My goodness, maybe I'm not wording this correctly but the amount of people taking this the wrong way is insane to me.

Here, let me re-word it...

Original post:  "It seems as though Joe has made a habit of throwing off of his back foot.  I'm nervous he won't return to 2012 form again."

Me:  "He actually did it in 2012 too, he just happened to have the WRs who could win contested balls and therefore we didn't notice it as much."

Is that better?  Is it just a semantics thing that I said "bail him out"?  I'm not criticizing Joe in the least, I'm simply pointing out that he's thrown off his back foot for years, including his 2012 run and that it's not a "new thing".  Yet people are arguing as if I'm saying Joe's run wasn't crap and it was all his WRs.  I'm not saying anything even close to that.  My goodness.

We understood it how you wrote it. And then we argued that Boldin didn't bailed him out. We aren't "taking it the wrong way"

Several times you referred to Boldin being the factor, that it "worked" for Flacco throwing off his back foot. Can't see how we can understand it wrong.

We don't deny him throwing off his back foot, or any other flaw he has.

Archived