Eagles cut Jordan Matthews

Kiltman

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

Alshon has had horrendous hands all season long, he's probably slower than Zach Ertz, and even when he does catch the ball he just isn't aware of his surroundings and doesn't get any good YAC.

Yes.... he has way too many drops, but when every single one of your catches is contested you are going to have a lower catch%. Yes he is slow, but he does still use his body well. Yes his YAC is terrible and he is too slow to separate. All of that is true. JJ literally can't get on the field when our best WR is as bad as Alshon, what does that say about JJ? The guy is barely getting on the field every week and when he does he is never targeted. He is simply not good right now. Could that maybe change next year? Sure, but right now the guy should be looked at as a pure project until he shows other wise. And this isn't a team that is completely against using rookies, especially ones picked in early rounds. Look at our top picks from the past three years, all of them have at least seen the field regularly in their rookie season outside of JJ.

Yes, Alshon has massively under-performed this year and his career is likely taking a nosedive, but he is still a NFL quality WR which is not something the rest of our WRs can claim.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yes.... he has way too many drops, but when every single one of your catches is contested you are going to have a lower catch%. Yes he is slow, but he does still use his body well. Yes his YAC is terrible and he is too slow to separate. All of that is true. JJ literally can't get on the field when our best WR is as bad as Alshon, what does that say about JJ? The guy is barely getting on the field every week and when he does he is never targeted. He is simply not good right now. Could that maybe change next year? Sure, but right now the guy should be looked at as a pure project until he shows other wise. And this isn't a team that is completely against using rookies, especially ones picked in early rounds. Look at our top picks from the past three years, all of them have at least seen the field regularly in their rookie season outside of JJ.

Yes, Alshon has massively under-performed this year and his career is likely taking a nosedive, but he is still a NFL quality WR which is not something the rest of our WRs can claim.

And I know you disagree with me, but my thought is that JJ can't possibly perform any worse than Alshon has this year, at least from an efficiency stand point. Alshon gets the most targets because he's the only WR that even belongs on an NFL field.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

And I know you disagree with me, but my thought is that JJ can't possibly perform any worse than Alshon has this year, at least from an efficiency stand point. Alshon gets the most targets because he's the only WR that even belongs on an NFL field.

I mean that is purely speculation(especially considering the fact that all of our other WRs have), but JJ has played in 29 snaps over the past 5 weeks. It is clear the coaching staff does not want him on the field to this point. Why that is, I am not entirely sure, but I like to deal with what I know and not pure speculation. 

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I mean that is purely speculation(especially considering the fact that all of our other WRs have), but JJ has played in 29 snaps over the past 5 weeks. It is clear the coaching staff does not want him on the field to this point. Why that is, I am not entirely sure, but I like to deal with what I know and not pure speculation. 

This is the same coaching staff that was so deadset against giving Rasul any playtime early last year, and has had clear favoritism or something to that degree.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

This is the same coaching staff that was so deadset against giving Rasul any playtime early last year, and has had clear favoritism or something to that degree.

Or maybe it is because Rasul is a limited player and we are better off having Mills/Darby/Maddox out there more regularly? I don't want to go down a rabbit hole arguing about defensive snaps, but since we have gotten healthier at CB Rasul has played significantly less snaps on defense(under 20% of the snaps the past two weeks). I haven't looked but I would guess Rasul's snap rate also went up drastically when Darby got hurt last season.

I am not of the belief that this coaching staff has players they like so they play them over others. IMO they really believe that the personnel they are using every week gives them the best shot to win games. Yes, this includes Doug completely overusing Sproles at times, and most likely any other example you can come up with. JJ needs to get to make use of his opportunities and create some plays if he wants to earn snaps. If they bring in JMatt from the streets and he comes in and is getting catches over JJ, I really don't see why I would ever believe the guy is ready to play in the NFL.

No way JJAW is better than Alshon. If he was he'd be getting reps over Agholor on the outside, they'd move Agholor in the slot with JJAW/Hollins opposite Alshon. 

Both JJAW/Hollins were never considered high level route runners. Pederson's offense doesn't emphasize that. And it doesn't make sense to put them out there if they aren't adding anything to the offense. 

Meh-thews may know some of the terminology hopefully we aren't running the same exact stuff from 2018 there's got to be some evolving of the offense. 

Edited by nlesthought

4 hours ago, nlesthought said:

No way JJAW is better than Alshon. If he was he'd be getting reps over Agholor on the outside, they'd move Agholor in the slot with JJAW/Hollins opposite Alshon. 

Both JJAW/Hollins were never considered high level route runners. Pederson's offense doesn't emphasize that. And it doesn't make sense to put them out there if they aren't adding anything to the offense. 

Meh-thews may know some of the terminology hopefully we aren't running the same exact stuff from 2018 there's got to be some evolving of the offense. 

Frankly there's just no reason not to give JJ more playtime at this point.

Just now, Jroc04 said:

JJ can’t beat out Hollins and you guys want him on the field? 

I’m serious, he must not be grasping the playbook. There’s something wrong with him that they won’t let out apparently. 

This coaching staff has shown multiple times over the past years that it likes to give playtime to players for inexplicable reasons and just completely shaft others.

22 minutes ago, Danger said:

This coaching staff has shown multiple times over the past years that it likes to give playtime to players for inexplicable reasons and just completely shaft others.

What’s the motivation to shaft JJ? Hollins is gone after this year. JJ still has potential. All signs point to JJ. Hell, Howie’s probably going to do what he can to move on from Alshon. The Eagles need to develop JJ. And yet, he can’t  sniff the field. It’s odd. And I don’t think he does anything for the rest of the year. 

I don't understand how people can 100 percent think it's only JJ's ability that's preventing him from seeing the field. Have you guys not seen jalen mills and darren sproles? Is this opposite land? Is it possible he's just trash and can't get on the field? Sure. It's also just as possible that our team has yet another bias they can't seem to get over.

fwiw I don't think any player gets shafted on this team. I do fully believe that some players get MUCH longer leashes than they deserve from the coaching staff. Some sort of odd loyalty even if they are playing like dumpsters.

Edited by Daimonas

21 minutes ago, Daimonas said:

I don't understand how people can 100 percent think it's only JJ's ability that's preventing him from seeing the field. Have you guys not seen jalen mills and darren sproles? Is this opposite land? Is it possible he's just trash and can't get on the field? Sure. It's also just as possible that our team has yet another bias they can't seem to get over.

fwiw I don't think any player gets shafted on this team. I do fully believe that some players get MUCH longer leashes than they deserve from the coaching staff. Some sort of odd loyalty even if they are playing like dumpsters.

Jalen Mills is our best corner. As awful as that it is, that is reality. Mills plays because he gives us a better chance to win than starting someone like Rasul Douglas on the outside. Darren Sproles was absolutely over used in the past, but that was also when we had a ton of terrible RBs due to injury and lack of addressing the position. Sproles now barely sees the field on offense outside of week one where Sanders still got more carries. Is there any actual evidence of our coaching staff showing bias towards players on our roster? Or is it that there are players on this team that are just not good getting tons of snaps cause we have no replacements for them?

Give me evidence that JJ belongs on the field and I will fully support him being out there. I wish they would give him more snaps as well, but when people are literally saying, "He can't be worse than Alshon" it gets a bit ridiculous.  The only thing of note JJ has done was not catch the football at the end of the Lions game(not saying it was an easy catch, but a player that is better than Alshon makes that play).

35 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

What’s the motivation to shaft JJ? Hollins is gone after this year. JJ still has potential. All signs point to JJ. Hell, Howie’s probably going to do what he can to move on from Alshon. The Eagles need to develop JJ. And yet, he can’t  sniff the field. It’s odd. And I don’t think he does anything for the rest of the year. 

I completely agree. It doesn't make sense why would draft a player as high as the second round and then actively work against his development because our staff has some perceived bias. Like I said earlier in this thread go look at our draft picks in the top couple rounds since Doug has arrived in Philly, all of them have seen the field regularly as soon as they got here and eventually developed into full time guys, including Dillard and Sanders. There is no evidence they are snuffing anyone, they simply don't believe in JJ right now.

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

JJ can’t beat out Hollins and you guys want him on the field? 

Hollins plays ST, something JJ never ever did in college.  Doug eluded to that in his last PC. As for a WR, neither is productive. It's more concerning to me that Hollins after 3 yrs can't be productive rather then JJ as a rookie fighting to be active on GD because of it TBH.

Side note: Maybe the coaching staff can stop trying to cross train every WR to play all 4 spots, especially as a Rookie. Pretty sure that isn't helping JJ either. Even he eluded to that several weeks ago in a Locker room Interview. 

Edited by Nabbs4u