Browns cut starting S Jermaine Whitehead following threatening Tweets

TheKillerNacho

5 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Is he any good?

No.

He whiffed hard on two tackles Sunday that led to huge gains - one of which was a TD. His only good game was against Baltimore. He was trash vs. the Rams and mediocre the rest of the season.

As for the thread title, he was only the starter because Randall has missed a few games. He's really a backup.

14 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Is he any good?

Obviously not. If he was, they wouldn't have cut him. That's how these things work. A talented player, they'd "deal with the situation internally" then hold a press conference with a formal apology and move on.

He wasn't a good player and was treated as such.

8 hours ago, DawgX said:

No.

He whiffed hard on two tackles Sunday that led to huge gains - one of which was a TD. His only good game was against Baltimore. He was trash vs. the Rams and mediocre the rest of the season.

As for the thread title, he was only the starter because Randall has missed a few games. He's really a backup.

This is simply incorrect.

Whitehead started all eight games this season, including the four that Randall played.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This is simply incorrect.

Whitehead started all eight games this season, including the four that Randall played.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-announce-unofficial-depth-chart-vs-colts-8-13

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-announce-unofficial-depth-chart-vs-lions-8-26

You're both right and wrong.

The only reason he started is because Morgan Burnett was also hurt. Either Randall OR Burnett have been hurt all year, and sometimes both.

11 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

A fan of the team that employs Vince Williams does not get to sit atop the hill and look down judging others.  or is it okay because he only threatened to find Burfict and "shoot him on sight", because Steeler fans don't like him?

I was thinking about bringing this up but didn't because it falls on deaf ears.

This "classy" organization can do no wrong.

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-announce-unofficial-depth-chart-vs-colts-8-13

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-announce-unofficial-depth-chart-vs-lions-8-26

You're both right and wrong.

The only reason he started is because Morgan Burnett was also hurt. Either Randall OR Burnett have been hurt all year, and sometimes both.

Morgan Burnett played six games. Randall played four. Meaning at minimum they played in two games together. In fact, Week 3 was the only week where both were out... and they were both active in Weeks 1, 5, and 6.

And yet, Whitehead started all eight games including Week 1, 5, and 6... Doesn't add up.

Browns have been starting 5 DBs this season, and Whitehead has been one of those five in every game. The thread title is correct; he was a Browns starting safety. And it wasn't due to injury.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Morgan Burnett played six games. Randall played four. Meaning at minimum they played in two games together. In fact, Week 3 was the only week where both were out... and they were both active in Weeks 1, 5, and 6.

And yet, Whitehead started all eight games including Week 1, 5, and 6... Doesn't add up.

Wilks likes his Big Nickel personnel.

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Browns have been starting 5 DBs this season, and Whitehead has been one of those five in every game. The thread title is correct; he was a Browns starting safety. And it wasn't due to injury.

You also have to keep in mind injuries to Greedy AND Ward at the CB spots as well, not to mention Terrance Mitchell who was supposed to be that starting Nickel guy.

So yes, it absolutely IS/WAS due to injury.

Preseason, he was their 3rd safety and their 3rd Nickel CB behind both TJ Carrie and Terrance Mitchell. Injuries to War/Greedy made him a starter to go with their safety issues.

When Ward/Greedy went down, Mitchell and Carrie were moved outside and Whitehead became the starting nickel guy.

Any way you slice it, that's why it happened.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Would they have done the same if Baker Mayfield sent the exact same tweets out? Or Myles Garrett?

Answer: No. So I consider them to be a coward organization for lacking a backbone and consistency in my hypothetical situation.

Well when you play as pathetic a game he did, it makes it kinda easy to cut ties

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think he needs some help whether emotional or mental because that wasn't an action that a normal person, with normal ranging from below average intelligence to above average, makes. He was either under the influence of something, on the verge of something or at the point of being non-functional.

Riley Cooper was given a second chance so Whitehead should too once he pays his price and shows he can make better decisions.

I don't disagree. I'm okay with Jermaine Hothead being given a second chance but not until he seeks help, anger management or something. 

15 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the person who was accused 3 times goes way beyond either of those two on the scumbag meter if just one accusation is correct and he admitted liability in the civil court process so I think it's hypocritical to remove him from scumbag status if you make the judgements on others.

I don't want any of them on my team but most fans wouldn't. We all want nice guys and clean guys off of the field, it just isn't realistic. I'm sure there is an example of every team that a player who was better was kept over a player who was worse who did the same exact thing.

I'm just saying that BR and Hotheads situations are completely different. It's fair to pass judgement on a civil case if you want but as far as the initial charges Ben was never convicted or proven guilty of anything. A civil case is not necessarily a concrete 'truth' in that civil cases are easier to win with less evidence. I'm not trying to make excuses for him or absolve him. When all of this happened, I expected him to be cut. That's not the route he chose.

There IS concrete evidence of what JW did.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't get why people have such a problem with teams treating fringe starters or backups a little different than franchise players

I understand it, I just am a believer that character, at a certain point, should be more important than talent. Most NFL FOs disagree with me.

Also, let's not act like Jermaine "Hothead" Whitehead ACTUALLY killed someone. Had he been verbally assaulted in person...part of me wonders but he did make a threat and while that should be taken very seriously, it's not murder. He needs counseling, it's really that simple.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

There IS concrete evidence of what JW did.

Yes, he wrote stupid stuff. No one actually was harmed. There should be consequences but I don't view it as bad as a violent act even though I understand some take it more seriously than some violent acts.