2020 Senior Bowl Invite Thread

tannenballs

Hope to do my best to keep this updated...

Cal LB Evan Weaver

Cal FS Ashytn Davis

Louisiana OT Robert Hunt

Vanderbilt WR Kalija Lipscomb

Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn

Vanderbilt TE Jared Pinkney

South Carolina State OT Alex Taylor

Southern Illinois SAF Jeremy Chinn

FAU TE Harrison Bryant

Colorado LB Davion Taylor

Lenoir-Ryhne SAF Kyle Dugger

Purdue TE Brycen Hopkins

Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

Clemson SAF K'Von Wallace

Oklahoma State CB AJ Green

Minnesota LB Carter Coughlin 

Minnesota LB Kamal Martin 

NC State DT Larell Murchison

Saint John's (MN) OL Ben Bartch 

Arizona WR Brandon Aiyuk 

Georgia Southern CB Kindle Vildor

South Carolina DT Javon Kinlaw

Texas Tech OT Terrance Steele

Mississippi State DB Brian Cole

USC WR Michael Pittman

Dayton TE Adam Trautman

West Virginia OT Colton McKivitz 

Kansas OT Hakeem Adeniji

Houston OT Josh Jones

Texas Tech LB Jordyn Brooks

South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards

South Carolina DE DJ Wonnum

Michigan SAF Josh Metellus

North Carolina DT Jason Strowbridge

Kentucky OG Logan Sternberg

Josh Uche OLB Michigan 

Ben Bredeson OG Michigan 

Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn 

Devin Duvernay WR Texas

Jeff Gladney CB TCU

Brandon Jones SAF Texas

Neville Gallimore DT Oklahoma

Lamichael Perine RB Florida

Jabari Zuniga DE Florida

Jonathan Greenard DE Florida

Marlon Davidson DE Auburn

Collin Johnson WR Texas

Matt Peart OT UCONN

Darrell Taylor OLB Tennessee

Trevon Hill DE Miami 

Tremayne Anchrum OG Clemson

John Simpson OG Clemson

Francis Bernard LB Utah

Julian Blackmon DB Utah

Jalen Elliott DB Notre Dame

Khalid Kareem DE Notre Dame

Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame

Troy Price CB Notre Dame

Troy Dye LB Oregon 

Leki Fotu DT Utah 

Terrell Burgess DB Utah

Alton Robinson DE Syracuse 

Zack Moss HB Utah

Logan Wilson LB Wyoming

Edited by tannenballs
  • Like 4

The two players from that list that I've heard significant buzz about are Vanderbilt TE Jared Pinkney and Vandy RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn.

Vaughn ran decently at Illinois as a freshman and sophomore, but transferred to the SEC and has pretty much run wild so far. He's a really nice receiver with a pro build. I wouldn't call him a bruiser, but he has potential for being a good short-yardage back. He has impressive wiggle and looks like he's gotten faster each year of his college career with impressive burst and good long speed. He's projected to run in the 4.4s, ran a 4.71 coming out of high school. He can make you miss and is really a nice back all-around, sort of reminds me of Devonta Freeman where he can do a bit of everything. I will say that I like him a lot more than Freeman as a runner coming out. He'd be getting a lot more attention playing for literally any other SEC school.

Jared Pinkney is potentially a 1st-round caliber tight end. He has some good size and good blocking potential. He plays with his hand in the dirt most of the time, can square up to defenders and has the strength to hold his own in-line. He should transition fairly quickly to the pros. He has good route-running ability and he uses his length to bully linebackers and safeties. He probably isn't going to be a Gronk type tight end where he'll hurt you a ton after the catch. He churns his legs through contact, but he's not that creative and doesn't possess a ton of elusiveness after the catch. He has good hands though, and can make plenty of contested catches in the middle of the field. His burst is just okay, so he doesn't create a ton of separation against stronger defenders when he can't bully them. He has some room for growth as a blocker, that's a good thing because he's already better than a lot of prospects in that regard. I don't know that he's a move tight end, but he's a good receiver who can be a safety valve for the QB and could be a positive contributor as a receiver while being a solid blocker. He sort of reminds me of a better Troy Fumagalli from a couple years back. 

• Like 2

A couple more big names that everybody should be familiar with: Brycen Hopkins and Antonio Gandy-Golden.

Gandy-Golden is a 6'4", 220 wide receiver from Liberty. He has excellent burst and agility for his size. He can use his quickness to move laterally effortlessly, and he's a lot more elusive than you'd think. However, his bread and butter, his signature sauce, is contested catches. You'd think that with his size that he could be dangerous in the red zone, and you'd be absolutely correct. He uses his frame and athleticism perfectly to win at the catch point. He can out-muscle and out-body anyone in contested catch situations and makes loads of crazy highlight reel catches. He's not that natural of a route runner, and will probably have to work hard on that aspect of his game in the NFL. However, he has really strong hands and the frame to create a different kind of separation at the next level, with the speed and athleticism to beat you deep. He's not a hands-fighter at the line of the scrimmage, leading to him getting jammed against press a lot, but he has the athleticism and quickness to develop against press at the next level. He has a really high ceiling, and early in his career he could still be good as a red zone and deep threat target. We say that big guys are good in the red zone a lot, but this guy is SPECIAL at the catch point. I'd probably rate him better than N'Keal Harry, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, or Tee Higgins in that regard.

Now, Brycen Hopkins is a really, really good tight end prospect from Purdue. Hopkins is an incredible athlete. Think Evan Engram or Vernon Davis as far as explosion goes. I wouldn't blink if Hopkins ran his 40 in the 4.4 range. And he's not JUST a raw athlete to run vertical routes down the seam like Noah Fant or Mike Gesicki. Hopkins is a super-polished and incredibly refined route runner who runs a wide variety of routes at Purdue. He is super precise and sharp in cuts, a trait that even many receiving tight ends lack. He's explosive off the line, and he's explosive getting into blocks. He's generally a very polished blocker, and gives great effort to fight through blocks. However, he's undersized as a blocker and that will hinder him. Still, he's probably pretty close to being the best blocker that a 240 lbs tight end can be. Like I said, he's really good in that regard, and don't let me sell you short on it. He won't pancake guys and you may want to flex him away from bigger or stronger defensive ends, but he will be an asset when matched up against DBs and LBs as a blocker. He has really soft hands and has been excellent so far in contested catch situations at Purdue. Because Hopkins ran a wealth of routes and has lined up in a variety of roles at Purdue (flexed out wide, in the slot, in-line, or in the backfield), I expect him to have one of the easiest transitions to the NFL that we've seen from tight ends in recent years, a la Evan Engram. If you have the scheme that requires it, Hopkins could be a really good receiver and a solid blocker lined up in-line every snap, but you're probably holding him back from being his best self if you do so. He's at his best when he moves around the formation, as he is a true matchup nightmare that gives defensive coordinators fits. He's explosive out of his stance to beat you early in the route while also being precise and fast to at the top of the route. Literally, the only two things holding him back from being the best TE prospect I've scouted are the fact that he's only 240-245 lbs, and the fact that he hasn't had a ton of experience in the red zone.

10 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

The two players from that list that I've heard significant buzz about are Vanderbilt TE Jared Pinkney and Vandy RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn.

Vaughn ran decently at Illinois as a freshman and sophomore, but transferred to the SEC and has pretty much run wild so far. He's a really nice receiver with a pro build. I wouldn't call him a bruiser, but he has potential for being a good short-yardage back. He has impressive wiggle and looks like he's gotten faster each year of his college career with impressive burst and good long speed. He's projected to run in the 4.4s, ran a 4.71 coming out of high school. He can make you miss and is really a nice back all-around, sort of reminds me of Devonta Freeman where he can do a bit of everything. I will say that I like him a lot more than Freeman as a runner coming out. He'd be getting a lot more attention playing for literally any other SEC school.

Jared Pinkney is potentially a 1st-round caliber tight end. He has some good size and good blocking potential. He plays with his hand in the dirt most of the time, can square up to defenders and has the strength to hold his own in-line. He should transition fairly quickly to the pros. He has good route-running ability and he uses his length to bully linebackers and safeties. He probably isn't going to be a Gronk type tight end where he'll hurt you a ton after the catch. He churns his legs through contact, but he's not that creative and doesn't possess a ton of elusiveness after the catch. He has good hands though, and can make plenty of contested catches in the middle of the field. His burst is just okay, so he doesn't create a ton of separation against stronger defenders when he can't bully them. He has some room for growth as a blocker, that's a good thing because he's already better than a lot of prospects in that regard. I don't know that he's a move tight end, but he's a good receiver who can be a safety valve for the QB and could be a positive contributor as a receiver while being a solid blocker. He sort of reminds me of a better Troy Fumagalli from a couple years back. 

Jared Pinkney has greatly disappointed this year, he has been totally not a factor in many games Vandy has played this year.  Huge disappointment no doubt about it I feel, has not made much of an impact as a pass catcher at all and probably got a little over hyped off of what he did last year honestly.  1st round?  No freaking way on that.  Cole Kmet is way better and has more upside I feel, not to mention Okwuegbunam is better than him also arguably.  And Jacob Breeland is better than Pinkney as well, or at least was playing that way before he sadly got injured this season.  

And Bryce Hopkins I like, I think he is a promising player but the Vernon Davis talk?  Vernon Davis is arguably the most athletically impressive TE in terms of pure speed and power to ever come into the NFL and is potentially a Hall of Famer.  Brycen Hopkins is not that and will not be a top 10 pick either obviously.  Davis ran a 4.38 40 time, I mean come on that is amazing and Hopkins is simply not that elite of an athlete if you are comparing him to Vernon Davis in terms of athletic ability.  Hopkins is probably a mid round draft pick most likely.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Who coaches the senior bowl normally first year staffs? I'd like Denver to do it again as a fan

It’s the two worst teams, if for some reason one of those coaching staffs can’t, for example because that team is looking for a new HC or just doesn’t want to I think, then the opportunity continues on to the next team in draft order until a team has accepted. Atleast that’s the way I’ve always believed it to work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Dang Redskins and Bengals/Dolphins??

They go AFC NFC along with the two worst teams right?

Yea, again. Haven’t looked it up but I believe that’s the way it works, one AFC and one NFC. So the Bengals should have the AFC spot wrapped up as long as they roll one more year with Taylor at HC. NFC could be different than the skins since they’ll be looking for a HC

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, tannenballs said:

Hope to do my best to keep this updated...

Vanderbilt RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn

Vanderbilt TE Jared Pinkney

Purdue TE Brycen Hopkins

Liberty WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

Oklahoma State CB AJ Green 

Arizona WR Brandon Aiyuk 

South Carolina DT Javon Kinlaw

USC WR Michael Pittman 

Kansas OT Hakeem Adeniji

South Carolina WR Bryan Edwards

Kentucky OG Logan Sternberg 

Ben Bredeson OG Michigan 

Prince Tega Wanogho OT Auburn 

Lamichael Perine RB Florida

Off the top of my head, all of these guys could push for Day 2 Draft status (some could even go on Thursday night) if the season were to end today. Obviously, there is still football to be played, not to mention all-star games, the Combine, and Pro Days that will probably dramatically affect a lot of prospects' stock, but based off of RIGHT NOW, these are the guys off the top of my head. Sadly, I'm not super familiar with the defensive side of the ball yet, as I have only just finished scouting and scouring the offensive side of the draft class yet. Defensively, I'm mostly just familiar with the top prospects and some day two guys.

Expect write-ups for all of these guys that I haven't written about yet.

Edit: also, Aiyuk is from Arizona State, not U of A, if I remember correctly.

Thanks, tannenballs

Edited by HoboRocket
Pro Tip