Gurley's best days behind him?

bertuzzi

Is his knee bothering him more than we think? Is the play calling the reason why he can't get going or is the Oline? 

Doesn't seem like the same player and the offense seems have taken a hit because of it. 

what are you guys thinking? 🤔 

His knee is obviously a big problem, it has an "arthritic component", we've been consciously limiting his workload because of it, knees are extremely important for a RB, and he clearly lacks the burst/speed/explosiveness he used to have. 

I don't think the playcalling is an issue, but the O-line play definitely makes things harder, too. 

I'm not a doctor, but it does seem like a chronic thing (because if it wasn't, you'd think he would have healed over the offseason?). In which case, yes unfortunately maybe Gurley's best days are behind him :(

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

We may never know the extent of his knee issues. Right now this looks like the Gurley of his 2nd season. Most all of our issues as a team are with the struggles of the OLine especially at RG. Not worried about TG3

A rookie RB Darrell Henderson has run the ball better than him though. Behind the same O-line.

Shocked this has a question mark at the end of it. Yes, he's not going to be the guy we saw him earlier on in his career, but still has value as a short yardage and pass catcher. 

13 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

They’re almost identical statistically. 

Which specific stats? Henderson Y/A is slightly higher at 4.1. The "burst" from Gurley is gone though. Ability to turn a run for loss into a small gain is gone. "Game breaking" runs I don't see happening, where I see all those things with Henderson. He has burst, elusiveness, shifty, etc Still need to work on pass protection. I think we see more Henderson in 2nd half of season until we get within the 30 then hand it over to Gurley. 

23 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Shocked this has a question mark at the end of it. Yes, he's not going to be the guy we saw him earlier on in his career, but still has value as a short yardage and pass catcher. 

Which specific stats? Henderson Y/A is slightly higher at 4.1. The "burst" from Gurley is gone though. Ability to turn a run for loss into a small gain is gone. "Game breaking" runs I don't see happening, where I see all those things with Henderson. He has burst, elusiveness, shifty, etc Still need to work on pass protection. I think we see more Henderson in 2nd half of season until we get within the 30 then hand it over to Gurley. 

We might see more from him in the 2nd half of the season. But you said it yourself YPC is very similar. Gurley has a longer biggest gain. The only teams that they both played against they were very similar. I think it's like a lot of other things, it's fun to pile on TG so people do it. Henderson might end up being better for us but right now they're not very different. Each was bad against Atl and each was good against Cincy. As for the changing out during a series we haven't seen McVay do that much at all this year. When a back goes in for a drive they almost always stay in for the whole drive. 

Also McVay is planning on using all of them if people bother to follow the teams reporters.

32 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

We might see more from him in the 2nd half of the season. But you said it yourself YPC is very similar. Gurley has a longer biggest gain. The only teams that they both played against they were very similar. I think it's like a lot of other things, it's fun to pile on TG so people do it. Henderson might end up being better for us but right now they're not very different. Each was bad against Atl and each was good against Cincy. As for the changing out during a series we haven't seen McVay do that much at all this year. When a back goes in for a drive they almost always stay in for the whole drive. 

It doesn't surprise me that Gurley has the longer run on the season given the huge disparity in total carries (92 vs 29). But speaking for myself, it's not fun piling on Gurley lol it's an albatross of a contract and he's grossly underperforming. As a fan, it hurts to see him performing like this.

You are right, McVay won't switch off the RB mid-drive, but I think his adaptability and willingness to change is probably his only crux. We saw it in the Superbowl. Hopefully he's willing to change things up in H2 of 2019. Play to these guys strengths. Henderson is just more likely to take a carry 75yards to the house than Gurley is at this point. But Gurley is superior pass catcher and pass blocking. 

1 hour ago, bertuzzi said:

Thats a lot of money for the rams to pay a RB who will probably be lucky to rush for a 1000 yards again. What the heck they gonna do with that contact now?

Wait it out until there's not the insane amount of dead money to cut him loose. Which I believe is after the 2021 season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtwizzy2k8 said:

It would be pretty sad to have to watch Gurley in this form for 3 more seasons.

Maybe Snead can pull off a miracle like he did with Tavon and Ogletree's contract.

Trade Gurley and a 2nd for a 3rd? Trade Gurley and a 3rd for Trent Williams? We will need to compensate someone for taking this contract if he continues this season at this level of production. He's not going to break 1000 yards rushing, but should hit 10 TD's on the season. 

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Maybe Snead can pull off a miracle like he did with Tavon and Ogletree's contract.

Trade Gurley and a 2nd for a 3rd? Trade Gurley and a 3rd for Trent Williams? We will need to compensate someone for taking this contract if he continues this season at this level of production. He's not going to break 1000 yards rushing, but should hit 10 TD's on the season. 

Gurley and a 3rd (or even a 2nd) for Trent Williams would be amazing. And Dan Snyder is just dumb enough to overpay for a big name on the decline.